Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 281 total)
  • The annual Mayhem – tyres and course thread!
  • theredchili
    Free Member

Yeah , I’m running V’s on my SS also , going to take it , so will be fun

Alex

Well it’s finally stopped raining here (near Ledbury). But only after lashing it down for the last two days. This morning it was particularly impressive for a couple of hours. The Malverns themselves dry out super quickly even after this much rain, the Mayhem course? Not so much 😉

My absolute last year. I’ve sort of given up waiting for a dry one. I’ll be swapping the tyres I use all year on the Malverns for a Beaver/Mud-X combo before next weekend. 5 sets of spare brake pads already stashed. Mobile bike washer filed and tested, therapy for Monday morning booked.

Just going to finish ‘training’ by lying face down in the wet grass for 24 hours!

aracer
    Free Member

Forecast now out to Thursday, and it’s due to be tipping down then (also quite wet tomorrow). I think it’s safe to assume it’s going to be wet. Given current levels of wetness around here – Malverns are wetter than I can remember for this time of year even in mudfest years for Mayhem – it only needs a couple of days a week like that to keep it soggy.

grtdkad

… though to be fair, in my preparations I have just changed my tyres & re-waterproofed all of my outers (jacket, four pairs of shorts) So I reckon that should more or less guarantee a scorcher!!!

Dimmadan
    Free Member

BRING EVERY BIT OF RIDING KIT YOU HAVE!!!!!!

Only got 2 waterproof jackets and one pair of waterproof shorts so i guess I am getting a wet arse for 5 laps!!!

Alex

I took the dog out this morning near the Mayhem course. This isn’t actually ON the course but it’s within a mile. I ride this a bit of my cross bike and I’ve NEVER seen it so wet. Even in winter. A bit further up it was like a stream but i didn’t take a photo on the grounds of possible de-motivation.

Local trails a week before Mayhem by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Off to the Malverns in a bit. Maybe if I’m lucky I’ll pull a hamstring 😉

will
    Free Member

Not sounding good is it 😆 hope it might change, wishful thinking though… Might by some cx tyres

steve_b77
    Free Member

Ah bugger

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Thanks for not de-motivating us Alex 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

So it’s a good thing I’ve managed to blag a pair of Trailrakers, some Mud X’s, and some 1.95″ (more like 1.8″) Maxxis Ignitors then for the weekend to choose from? 😉

Thinking at this rate it’ll be rigid fork on the bike, not suspension, just for mud clearance! 🙁

FWIW, went out yesterday in the Forest of Dean. Was so wet there, mud didn’t have a chance to stick to the bike! My bike came back much cleaner than when it went… That said, Eastnor mud is much thicker. I also destroyed some nearly new brake pads inside only 12 miles, so think this Mayhem will be a brake killer!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Well watched the BBC long range weather forecast on TV, and there is a nice big low pressure system coming through on Friday, followed by another on Saturday.

😐

neil853
    Free Member

It was never going to be anything other than wet was it, its pissed down for months. But its the same for all of us and with some proper preparation i reckon it might be just as much fun, although try asking me that at 4 am for a dawn lap…… 😉

Alex

Alec – happy to help in a misery loves company kind of way 😉 Malverns are fun but really wet. I have a feeling the MM course might be 50% of that!

I’ve gone with the Beaver/Mud-X combo. A set of tyres that – like me – shall be retired after the race. If you see some damp middle aged blokes shivering in the drizzle over a camp stove cooking endless sausages, that’ll be us!

Sandwich

Looks like Lefty is the way to go. I’ll pack Trailrakers and the extra Nobby Nic to replace the Ralph.

aracer
    Free Member

Just for you I took a trip through Eastnor today, and on some of the course (I presume that’s what the mown strips are). Actually a lot drier than I expected – admittedly I didn’t go to where the worst bits might be, but found nothing like shown in Alex’s pic. The grassy area down the bottom was generally fairly dry if soft, with a few wet patches. The track I took up through the woods was a bit muddy, but nothing horrific. Up top all very dry and firm. Landrover tracks a boggy horror as always, but the course doesn’t use those any more does it?

Saw a group of other people on bikes up near the obelisk – anybody on here?

pedlad

Up there about 8ish tonight. Just did the L shaped downhill bit and got splashy muddy bit where I’ve never had them before. It’s basically waterlogged which means the well drained bits are fine and the woods will be a cluster ****! Will be fun tho !

will
    Free Member

Sounds like 2.2 Racekings will be fine then 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

Crossmarks Off

Trailrakers On

votchy
    Free Member

Fitted brand new Panaracer Razers on Friday, I will not let this sh1t weather dampen my sense of optimism 😀

clubber
    Free Member

100!

rkk01
    Free Member

Fitted brand new Panaracer Razers on Friday, I will not let this sh1t weather dampen my sense of optimism

Optimism??

A set of 1.8 TrailBlasters in the boot would be real optimism…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I will not be worrying about which tyres to use as I only have 1 set of tyres, so will just use them!

However, I do feel sorry for the bike wash people they will be a bit on the busy side. I remember the year with the land rover track, the guys doing the bike wash were more knackered than a lot of riders come the finish on the Sunday.

rkk01
    Free Member

Glad I checked the MM website.

Start time this year is 1200 ….!!

Sandwich

I going for Race Kings as the optimistic choice. What could possibly go wrong?

MrTall
    Free Member

Votchy,

I can dampen your spirit, by my calculations it’s your turn to do the run this year! 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Wohoo, 29’er mud x TLR’s for £26.99 each @ cycle surgery in Holborn this afternoon, sorted

daveyc1
    Free Member

My first Mayhem entry this year, have gone with a combo of Spesh storm and Mud X, from everyone’s comments though, I wish I’d stocked up on brake pads…. 😐

mboy
    Free Member

Just swapped my 2.2″ Rubber Queens off my hardtail for some 1.95″ Maxxis Ignitors (the optimistic choice). Though have also managed to blag a pair of Bonty Mud X’s and a pair of 2.1″ Trailrakers for the weekend also, just in case!

But it WILL be dry… Oh yes, it WILL be dry… 😉

Anyone else thinking of putting flat pedals on and riding in walking boots? 😕

Sandwich

I’m checking if there are wellies with spd compatibility.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

” I wish I’d stocked up on brake pads….”

It’s not a brake heavy course so I wouldn’t worry. Plus the fact all the mud sticking to your bike means that you will have to pedal hard downhill to keep going 🙂

will
    Free Member

Hoping these two days on sun might help! Although Thursday is looking moist to say the least!

shortcut

I reckon slick tyres may just be the answer – something like Schwalbe Big Apples – mud won’t stick to those!!

Current plan is 1 bike, two pairs of wheels (one with Crossmark, the other with Nicks.)and a pair of Mud X just in case.

Coffee via Aerobie Aeropress.

Beer by Badgers.

Whisky by Glenfiddich.

Clothing by Endura (pink).

There will be a dry line by the time I go out on lap 4!!

aracer
    Free Member

Although Thursday is looking moist to say the least!

and Saturday or Sunday (depending on which forecast you look at).

Unless of course the BBC 5 day forecast is accurate and it’s raining.

votchy
    Free Member

Mr Tall,

you are wrong, team captain always does the run which means our French cousin will be donning the running spikes this year 😀

4 laps – better than we plan to do 😉

MrTall
    Free Member

I think he may dispute that…..!

jimster
    Free Member

Hoping these two days on sun might help!

No this is just the weather gods toying with your emotions.

will
    Free Member

Hmmmm

daveyc1
    Free Member

Coffee via Aerobie Aeropress

Good man, a fine choice! What coffee will it be though? I might pick up a new press for the weekend, coffee is essential!

rkk01
    Free Member

Essential for the MM tool box

neil853
    Free Member

Essential for the MM tool box

Agreed 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 281 total)

The topic ‘The annual Mayhem – tyres and course thread!’ is closed to new replies.