Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The angle changing hedsets, what the biggest change you can get for a 1 1/8"?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Also the eccentric shock bushings – what difference do they make?

is it feasible to lose 2 degrees?

edd

For the headset I think the best is 1 degree from here:
    http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/back-in-stock—10-degree-ec34—traditional-1-18-fitment-6-p.asp

I’ve got one, really happy with it. They’re a bit of a pig to fit as the cups have to be perfectly aligned with the frame (a problem with all angle headsets).

triple_s

Saar can do up to 1.5 degrees depending on headtube length and is much easier to fit than WC. The first few mm are slightly smaller dia so you can line them up in the frame then push fully in.

http://www.ofanaim.net/prodspec.html

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mugboo

Go on then give us a clue. How much are the Saar ones and what bearings do they use?

Rickos
    Free Member

Bushings with M8 bolts on your Heckler will give about 1 degree. More significant in feeling will be the lower BB. Works headset will give another degree.

cynic-al
    Free Member

1 degree?

Jeez people will buy anything

Northwind

You don’t think you’d notice the difference Al?

Mugboo

Isn’t 1degree the equivalent of adding a 20mm fork?

Rickos
    Free Member

Mugboo – yes, but bunging on a longer fork raises your BB and slackens the seat angle at the same time.

sambob
    Free Member

I assume you could always combine an angle headset with offset shock bushings to get 2 degrees off.

Mugboo

I realise that Rickos. What I meant was you would notice a degree I reckon. Bad example though 🙁

Rickos
    Free Member

Sorry – didn’t mean to be all school ma’am. But yes, I notice a degree with my offshet bussings although I think the lower BB is more noticeable.

Mugboo

Completely agree. As my BB’s have lower and my head angles have slackened, my confidence has grown 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Is 1 degree actually a noticeable difference, if everything else stays the same? Was thinking about one for my Trailstar but don’t know if it’s worth £80 for 1 degree!

kudos100
    Free Member

I think it is, especially with steep frames. Slackening a 69 frame to 68 is noticeable.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’d say yes, especially on something as steep as a Trailstar in the first place. If the bike was already quite slack then maybe not, but a steep bike defo.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

What can you achieve with a lower profile tyre on the back and a bigger volume tyre on the front? Although I cannot recommend what tyres are higher or lower I can say that it is not always just dependant on their width and running pressure.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’d say yes, especially on something as steep as a Trailstar in the first place.

With the Pike at 140mm it’s actually fairly close angle-wise to my Bullit, just a bit steeper. Not sure whether the extra confidence I have on the Bullit is due to the slightly slacker head angle or the fact that it has 7″ of squish at each end.. it has a way higher BB as well yet feels much more stable.

Rickos
    Free Member

Wheelbase? Longer wheelbases give more stability. Slackening the head angle would lengthen the front centre a wee bit.

_tom_
    Free Member

I think the wheelbase is the same or slightly shorter on the Bullit actually! Think it’s about 42″..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The angle changing hedsets, what the biggest change you can get for a 1 1/8"?’ is closed to new replies.