Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 190 total)
  • The Alps, Summer 2014 – Where are you going and why?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

We’re thinking somewhere in the Morzine region but looking for long weekend rather than a full week (Family holiday to consider afterwards)

Can anyone suggest somewhere in Morzine region which does 4 night stays?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Like the look of the white room but probably looks too structured.

Hey trickydisco – if there’s a few of you, you can have your own guide and do whatever you like! We’re pretty chilled. Otherwise, drop-in/out of guiding as you like – some people like to just go and hit laps of the bike park / DH track some days.

finners

I would be interested i long weekend options too. I have been to Morzine for the passed good few years and have had a truly amazing time. Yes it can be seen as bike parky etc etc, but guaranteed you will have a great time. Paris in February and sun holiday with the other half are threatening any Alps based trips this year….. BUT im not ruling out a mtb trip in Morzine and a road bike trip in the alps just yet…. Just need to find a way to keep the better half sweet. Jeezo, Paris could be expensive!!!! 😯 😐 8)

backtothetop
    Free Member

Alpe d’huez for the Megavalanche, biggest mountain riding ive done is welsh trail centers so totally unprepared for what lies ahead.Buying a van and driving over, going for 8 nights so will get plenty of riding in. if all goes well then it could become an annual trip.

empireofthefun
    Free Member

Where am I going…..Val-d”Isere /Tignes
    Why….Because I have use of an apartment free 😀
    All the excuse I needed

Northwind

@Tricky- structured probably isn’t the right word for White Room (and I’m sure for other quality tour operators)- I’ve been twice and had 2 pretty different weeks, they have plans and they know what works and doesn’t work but it’s totally tailored for the riders. Our group asked for something different on one day, Stevo went off and figured it out and made it happen… We had riders dropping in and out of the days too, proved impossible to get some people out of the cafe at the foot of the lift 😉 It’s your holiday, not a boot camp 🙂

Grupper205
    Free Member

I’m part of another group going to The White Room between 5th to 12th July! Four of us going, two on Orange 5’s, and two on On One 456’s.

grum
    Free Member

The best riding in Les Arcs is on the numerous and scenic footpaths – go for it!

How easy is it to find decent trails in Les Arcs without a guide?

rhysishere
    Free Member

Anyone have a ballpark price figure for a long weekend with bike hire? Will sleep anywhere

andermt
    Free Member

I’m heading to Saalbach/Hinterglemm for the 2nd year in a row at the end of July.

Making sure I stay in the village this time so I get the free lift pass (Joker card).

I’m not a DH rider (longest travel bike I have is 120mm) but some of the Bike Park stuff is great for me and gives me a different type of riding to the normal XC stuff.

Weather was mixed last summer so didn’t get a chance to do the longer trails when I was there but planning to do them this time. (Hackelberg trail etc)

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Going to do the PDS this year. Went to Les Arcs last year, but have decided to pop down to the Passportes, and do 2 days riding, take the Mrs, and make a bit of a holiday of it.

tomhoward

Whistler for the main holiday this year 😀 might do a long weekend in alpe d’huez, see if the mood takes.

torihada
    Free Member

grum – Member
    The best riding in Les Arcs is on the numerous and scenic footpaths – go for it!

Personally, I’d say tough. I’ve been twice with TA in 09 & 10. We rode some excellent trails that I couldn’t find again. With a good TOPO map (and maybe some gps routes shared on any mtb sites) you could hunt some of the trails out, but that makes for fractured & frustrating rides. Following a guide seamlessly from trail to trail from mountain top to valley floor is the only way to do it.

There are marked trails at Les Arcs, but 2 days would be more than enough on those when theres so much more hidden stuff out there. A good guide not only knows the trails, they will tailor the riding to your abilities, know how (and where you are) to get you off the mountain if it all goes wrong. They’ll know good lunch spots and which trails ride well weather dependent. As our guides got our measure, they would take us to certain features to ride (or fall off) and harder trails to test us, which was right up our street (or trail).

After Chatel/PDS last year spent mainly in the bike parks and a couple of days so-so guided riding, we’re returning to Trail Addicition, Destination X for BC guided riding.

If you’ve only got a week in the Alps you want to wring out every drop of good riding you can. Guided riding does that.

strawb3110
    Free Member

Hopefully back to Bike Village again. Great time last year, but hopefully no trips to the local Hospital this time.

alpin
    Free Member

@ andermt
    Hackelberg is one of the best “freeride” trails at Saalbach, IMO…. more natural, not much built up stuff… be careful in the lower half as the trail disappears off the side of the fireroad. it is easy to miss. if you miss it you’ll stay on the FR but end up at the same spot.

not sure if they have finished the new trail on the Zweierkogel.

mrplow
    Free Member

No Alps for us this year – all funds are being sucked up by legal costs in a house dispute 👿

Regarding worrying about the structure of Whiteroom: You can do as much or as little as you like – perfect hosts that ask what you want to do. Sorting us out with Pila last year was the icing on the cake. Ace holidays.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bushwhacked
    Can anyone suggest somewhere in Morzine region which does 4 night stays?

Google Ski Blue Ridge – they run a chalet in Les Gets, they do stays of any length and run a transfer service if you need collecting from the airport. I’ve stayed with them and would do so again, bike wash and secure storage /work area. You can roll down the road into Morzine easily if you want to ride there or Avoriaz/Linderets/Chatel etc.

I have also stayed in small hotel called Teton in of Morzine near the bridge, simple pretty cheap and had bike wash and secure storage. Found it on booking.com

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Not the alps, but the alpujarras. Weather and hyper tech trails.

Northwind

grum – Member

Decent trails- dead easy. There’s a decent map, pretty good waymarking. The best trails? Not easy. You could get directions to specific trails like La Varda easily enough but it’d still be a pain to link it all up. (and even then, it’d be good to have local knowledge to tell you things like “If you **** up the next switchback and fall of the edge, you’ll die”)

But within the resort I could have a lovely time for days just battering out the marked trails. Maybe only tempered with the fact that I could be having a better time with a guide.

maxtorque

Anyone else started to “fettle” their 2014 alps bike yet? No, just me?? 😉

tomhoward

Fettle? Nope.

Shop for? Oh yes! 😀

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

grum – Member

…depends how much work you want to do? La Varda and Double Header (and variations) were easy enough to find with some help from STW and a IGN maps. I dont need to be warned about potential death spots, but some help linking it all together would have been good.

There’s lots of online resources, depends on how self sufficient you want to be, and the value you place on a guide and riding in a group. I like a bit of both – spending time trying to clear parts of a trail can be fun alone, but after ride fun can be good with a group (and sometimes a bit of peer pressure goes a long way!).

mrhoppy

maxtorque – Member
    Anyone else started to “fettle” their 2014 alps bike yet? No, just me??

Define fettle, does shopping for new forks, pedals and bars count?

grum
    Free Member

Thanks torihada and NW – differing opinions there!

I’d be tempted to get a guide for a couple of days but I’m not sure I’d want a whole week of it really.

dantsw13

Bushwhacked – We stayed in Riders Retreat in Morzine for a long weekend. Highly recommended. Also try their sister property in Les Gets, The Boomerang for B&B, with a great bar/restaurant attached.

maxtorque

mrhoppy

maxtorque
    Anyone else started to “fettle” their 2014 alps bike yet? No, just me??

Define fettle, does shopping for new forks, pedals and bars count?[/quote]

Certainly does! I’ve done bars and stem already, doing an 1.5deg angleset, and considering forks, and a 1×11 drivetrain…………

creedy
    Free Member

So as far I can figure, everyone going the white rooms 5-12 th July is on here! Should make for some interesting forum conversations.

(Note to self, only positive input until then!)

Where’s everyone flying from/ driving?

Oh I’m part of Andymc06 group.

godzilla
    Free Member

Where’s everyone flying from/ driving?

Four of us are driving from North Yorkshire

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I have friends in Lausanne (free accommodation) and I was wondering if it would be a suitable place to base from to access trails via public transport?

Grupper205
    Free Member

Creedy/Godzilla, four of us are driving from Staffordshire. We are all newbie Alps riders, have you guys been before?

creedy
    Free Member

No. First time for all of our group. Really looking forward to it. We’re cheating and flying. Mainly due to us lot being spread all over! Not heard a bad thing about white rooms and Stevo seems pretty sound on here and was great with sorting our booking.

colp

Hey Alpin.

Do you mean at the Zwolferkogel lift?
    If so it’s the Z-line and it’s done as far as I know, really mint, fast open bits, rocky bits, nice little gap jumps, 2 mahoosive wallrides.
    As you said, Hackleberg is great, killer push up in full armour with the DH bike though, last did it mid summer and had to push up the nipper’s bike too at the same time.
    Stop in the restaurant at the start next time and check out the free wifi name, had us chuckling.
    I’ll be back out there more of this summer.

godzilla
    Free Member

Been a few times but not with WR, I’ll be very surprised if your not planning your next adventure before you get on the plane home.

chief9000
    Free Member

Hey frosty125,
    It depends the type of riding you want to do and how much you want to travel by train. Trains are always on time and bike friendly you can be in the mountain in 90 mins. From lausanne you coul also take a boat across the lake and ride in france.

tomaso
    Free Member

Campervan with family going round France. No major mtb plans but will search Strava when it looks promising and see what I can find :mrgreen:

frogstomp

Another one for The White Room here.. August for me! :mrgreen:

jambalaya
    Free Member

@frosty – be aware you have to buy 2 tickets to take your bike on the train, one for you one for the bike. There is some riding up above Montreux accessed via Mountain railway, I’ve hiked up there and seen bikers (email me in for map) Roche de Naye. You can get the train to Les Chables at the bottom of Verbier. I am sure there is decent xc / trail riding from the door into the hills around the town. Ive ridden xc on the French side after getting the boat accross the lake, nice day out but riding itself is ordinary. I’ve also taken the train up to St Cerge above Nyon amd ridden down, ok not stellar. To be honest if you try and access the riding by train everyday it woukd be cheaper to book accommodation in a resort plus all the time it’s going to take. If you can rent a car when you are there I would do it.

Have a google of “Swiss mobile” all the maps are online.

grum
    Free Member

There’s lots of online resources, depends on how self sufficient you want to be, and the value you place on a guide and riding in a group. I like a bit of both – spending time trying to clear parts of a trail can be fun alone, but after ride fun can be good with a group (and sometimes a bit of peer pressure goes a long way!).

Missed this before. Thanks, that’s a good point about the peer pressure thing! 🙂

savage62
    Free Member

Looking at driving out to Les Arcs in July for a week, can anyone provide a rough idea of fuel and toll costs for a return trip in a van please?

KateD
    Free Member

Savage62, Google ‘viamichelin’. It tells you how much in fuel it’ll cost and any tolls.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 190 total)

The topic ‘The Alps, Summer 2014 – Where are you going and why?’ is closed to new replies.