Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The Alps, hardtails, single speeds – Advice
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hi,

Me and two pals are going to the Alps this summer for a "LADS ON TOUR" for at least two weeks, to ride our bikes mainly.

Each of us will be riding a hardtail style bike – What are the best tracks for this style of bike? (Ive heard Les Arcs is quite good, amongst others)

Also, whats a good single speed ratio for the Alps?

Any help

toys19
    Free Member

I dunno but I can provide you with a hair shirt…

David I know it's not really your bag but I promise you an FS bike and access to lifts in morzine will bring an enormous smile, its not all DH as in the connotation of the acronym, some it is just going downhill over varied terrain, with lots of travel its jsut grin inducing pleasure. I find my annual week in morzine is a bit like a weeks skiing, easy, fun, and its warm…

Carbone
    Free Member

Les Arcs is awesome , miles n miles of singletrack (book a guide , you won't find the good stuff without) , not full on downhill , not wide tracks (as in les gets)just techie singletrack , "Alpine switchback" will be engraved in your mind .

Sorry edited to answer you question long travel heavy duty hard tail ie an Alpitude or one of Dialled bikes would be ok , singlespeed would be interesting .

walleater

22/34

stevomcd
    Free Member

As above, Les Arcs / Sainte Foy (Tarentaise) area has great flowy singletrack riding if that's what you're after.

Just my opinion, but singlespeed in the Alps is just a bit daft. Sorry! 😳 I generally find myself switching fairly directly from 22-34 to 36-11!

EDIT: Great video Carbone, I will have to look out for that guy! 😯

mboy
    Free Member

Also, whats a good single speed ratio for the Alps?

Might as well ride chainless IMO, cos you'll not get up any hills with a conventional singlespeed ratio, and you'll sure as hell spin out the moment the terrain points downhill!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Should of said in the first post.

We will be riding downhill stuff mainly, hence the SS ratio question. Pretty sure I saw a pic of a DB Alpine on here with SS that was used by a guide in the Alps, just wondered whether its doable.

We've all been to the usual spots like Morzine numerous times before, looking for something a bit different.

firestarter
    Free Member

when i used to work in chatel i used to use 34/17 but i was very fit then lol

walleater

I think the Alpine had an Alfine, unless there was another one.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Ash and Andy from TA both were riding SSes 2 years ago. Last year a rock/mech interface left me with a top gear of roughly 36:16 or 36:18 for over a week. DH, you won't need to do much pedaling, so from a gearing pov – yes it's doable.

That said, I wouldn't want to ride a typical UK "XC" SS there – the TA guys were ridng Dialled Alpines with 66's on the front and the biggest rubber they could fit in.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh I'll be riding a 'hardcore' hardtail with some gnarly Z1 Light's

I rode my dialled there last year and it was fine but it did have 66's on it.

Wheres the best spots to visit though (and which countries?)

I found Morgins and the Mega track all spot on on a hardtail whereas Chatel and Morzine were a bit chewed up

sheldona
    Free Member

The Italians I know that ride ss in the alps run 32:24. I ran 36:19 and it was tough as *****

ash

Might as well ride chainless IMO, cos you'll not get up any hills with a conventional singlespeed ratio, and you'll sure as hell spin out the moment the terrain points downhill!

The funniest thing I've read on here this week… oh sorry, were you being serious??

32:16 FTW

Pretty sure I saw a pic of a DB Alpine on here with SS that was used by a guide in the Alps

This one?

I think the Alpine had an Alfine, unless there was another one.

This one?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Several of my mates ride in t'alps with hardtails on all the DH tracks.

24" wheels, 100mm forks, Chatel bike park-

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeah Ash, thats the ones I was thinking of. Whats the alfine like?

Currently run 32:17 so should be ok going by what you say.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘The Alps, hardtails, single speeds – Advice’ is closed to new replies.