Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • The Alloy Ragley
  • brant
    Free Member

The rigid 29er is going to be very, very fast

Have I done my “Bike only go as fast as you pedal them” quote recently.

But yes. I think it will go quite fast, and for a long time hopefully 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

terrahawk – Member
    The rigid 29er is going to be very, very fast

It depends who is on it. 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yea, on the side is rubbish, but the mind boggles what exactly you’d have to be trying to do to your bike, while remaining legal, to catch your nuts on top tube mouted cables?

Is it a yorkhshire thing, you know, a bit like the welsh and their sheep?

terrahawk
    Free Member

I seem to remember an outcry when the first Ti456 appeared with cables on top of the top tube.
    so they were moved underneath.

I might be wrong, but I’m sure that’s what happened.
    Perhaps some folk moan for the sake of moaning.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Blimey, dunno about “design by committee”, this is more like “design by lynch mob”…..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think it looks pretty good and I think the 1.5inch headtube is a good idea, it aint fun snapping a headtube off a frame so anything that makes it stronger is a good idea.

I still reckon the steel version is nicer and it seems like a bargain for a decent frame that looks like its had some thought put into it.

Northwind

Surely Soul and Ragley are completely different geometry/end use?

They are, but I can only afford one decent bike, and if this’d been around at the time I think it’d probably have got the vote. Not suggesting they’re the same, don’t worry 😉

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

How about a BB30 bottom bracket shell to co-ordinate with the head tube?

brant
    Free Member

Can you do ISCG with BB30?

doof_doof
    Free Member

What’s the theory behind not dropping the TT for more standover clearance?

Looks like a serious filling rattler with those huge tubes.

richc
    Free Member

is it harsher than the Armadillo you designed brant? as that frame must have cost people a fortune in Chiropractors to sort their backs out after riding them.

brant
    Free Member

I don’t remember the Armadillo being particularly harsh, what with a 27.2mm post and I did get a 3.0in Gazzaloddi in the back of mine (briefly).

I’ve still got it in the garage actually, I should have a rebuild.

But seriously, we’ve got quite a lot going on in the rear stays there, and the main tubes are quite clever.

It’s definitely a more rigid chassis than the steel one though.

VanHalen

whats the geo like compared to a 456?

i was in the market for a 456 but since they are like rocking horse poo in 16″ this (or the steel equivalent) may be the next best thing?

will the 16″ look less like a gate as well?

cheers,

terrahawk
    Free Member

whats the geo like compared to a 456?

I think the Ragley is a bit more brrapp. or something 😉

Harry_the_Spider

I should imagine that it will be better than the next best thing.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cables on top “I’ll catch me nuts on them”, cables on side – “I’ll catch me knee on them”, cables underneath “i’ll catch my shoulder on them”.

Which is why I prefer them all under the down-tube. Then the bolt on cable guides make sense too.
    🙂

I’ve been umming and ahhing about saying this, so here goes (This is meant to be constructive criticism 🙂 )…
    Brant you’ve designed some good bikes, and some good looking bikes, in your time, (and indeed probably one of the classics) but that is a horrible thing to look at, sorry. Maybe it’s the colour, maybe the lack of graphics, but it looks like a cheapo motorists discount centre bike: Looks like it’s over inflated. (And I like odd looking bikes like the Ti456 and my old Yeti 575)

I’d like to see one in a darker, classier colour I think…..

OK, flame me….
    🙂

brant
    Free Member

We like our tictac colours cos they are fun. The steel frame – blue pig – will be in an alt.colour of BLACK, and this model, the mmmbop will be in (it says here) Blue. Though I can’t remember which blue.

kelvin

1.5″ headtube means the best of all worlds in my opinion, I can’t think of a good reason NOT to have one on an alu frame. Why limit the adaptability of the bike because some people fear the look of change?

Is the 3.7lb with all the bolt-on guides and the paint? If so that’s only half a pound heavier than my old Cannondale frame. Colour me impressed.

richc
    Free Member

its a very impressive weight isn’t it. You should be able to build up a nice play bike that doesn’t weigh as much as your car 🙂

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Just looking at the spec’ sheets (for all that I’d be able to tell from them) but the Blue Pig and 456 Slacker seem quite similar (maybe a degree steeper HA?).

How does the ride compare between the two? Are there any other significant differences (is Blue Pig double butted rather than plain gauge?).

Cheers

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

ICSG tabs will fit around a BB30

wors

How come you can pop these out so much cheaper then cotic or pace?

richc
    Free Member

Cheaper tubes than the Cotic, and less overheads than Pace I should imagine.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

good design costs less to make

ahwiles
    Free Member

this thread has been hijacked!

Never mind the ally ragley, i’m very keen to see the steel pig!

Cheap, tough, bit-o-give, 20″ frame (?), geometry that works downhill, numbers that add up for climbing, room for big comfy tyres, shortish top-tube for a gate.

Brant, you’re a bad man.

resume thread… – the ally ragly looks lovely. Daft colours are the new black.

now i just need re-inforced ankles before i get back on a hardtail.

chela
    Free Member

What’s the theory behind not dropping the TT for more standover clearance?

Yeah, I’d be interested in this too. I like low TTs for nad clearance, and the way they make the frame feel a bit more ‘chuckable’ and wotnot. And they do look better too, since we’ve mentioned aesthetics.

That’s the only thing I’m not wild about. But Brant knows a lot more about bike design than me, so I’d be interested in the reasoning for not doing it on a bike like this…

brant
    Free Member

Ed-O is shorter, but has bigger balls than me and has had no drama.

When I stand over a bike I’m generally more towards the front of the bike anyhow, and therefore bending the top tube makes very little difference.

We always recommend people run 400mm posts, and our frames have long top tubes.

I will probably end up doing 14in models at some point (next run) if we get requests.

hora
    Free Member

Tic tacs? 8)

richc
    Free Member

thing is brant good riders can easily compensate for frame issues, whereas crap (average) riders need all the help they can get, so a dropped TT and its illusion of less nad mashing potential is a nice touch.

paradigmshift
    Free Member

I like the colour, it will be interesting to see how the frame looks when it has graphics on it.

Could someone please tell me if the bolt on cable guides suffer from the same stresses and points of weakness that have been mentioned in previous threads refering to bosses for a crud catchers?

As the positioning of one the cable guides looks quite close to the headtube.

kelvin

Dropped TT look much better, but in terms of avoiding nad mashing I think Brant’s obsession with short headtubes is probably as, if not more, useful.

kelvin

That looks ACE Hora.

hora
    Free Member

My Chumba XCL is in bright/tangerine orange! Love those two colours 😀

terrahawk
    Free Member

I used to have a Patriot that offered me absolutely no nad clearance whatsoever.
    I’ve gone on to have 2 more kids.

It always looked dangerous, but in reality it never was. I always fell off sideways or over the bars 😉

brant
    Free Member

As the positioning of one the cable guides looks quite close to the headtube.

Yes. But it’s in a more neutral axis/area of less stress, and is surrounded by gussetry.

It’s the top and moreso the bottom surfaces of the tube that are highly stressed in that region. Not the sides. Not that you can go drilling holes willy nilly.

Also a nice round hole is quite low on the stress levels.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Mr P-Shift, if this new frame can pass the new CEN force/fatigue tests, then you can rest easy.

if anything, its arguable that these tests are too agressive. frames which have stood the test of time/rocks/drops/sketchy-fat-lads have also failed the CEN test.

dave_aber
    Free Member

14in models at some point (next run) if we get requests

Go on then, I’ll have one in 14″

DeeW
    Free Member

I personally like the look of a low top-tube. I’m only 5’9″ and can easy get the saddle up to pedalling height on a 14″ frame (Dialled Holeshot with a 410mm Thomson).

I’ve never seen the point of the raised and braced seat towers you get on a lot of bikes: why not just have a longer post? Though I guess they would make sense if I had loooong legs and wanted a short reach

terrahawk
    Free Member

I use a long post on my DMR Trailstar and I find the post flexing most worrying…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘The Alloy Ragley’ is closed to new replies.