Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • The Abu Dhabi GP (spoilers)
  • brakes
    Free Member

Kimi is such a ****, what’s his problem?

cp

Brilliant Kimi on the podium ‘…you guys giving me shit…’

Frankenstein
    Free Member

LOL 😆

cp

And Vettel effing and blinding! Seems they all enjoyed that 🙂

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Hilarious

Hadge
    Free Member

Oh dear, not going very well on the podium is it! I wonder if DC will smack Vettel one in the mouth behind the podium lol.

slackman99
    Free Member

Just watched on the recorder box.

Kimi….may not be the most exciting in the interviews, but is a pure racer. Some brilliant pit radio!

Webber appeared to think he was at a banger racing event today!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Kimi is just brill.

The forum was good, I hint jake and David had a bet on for how many daft words they could get into there feed.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What great entertainment, lots of incidents, legit over taking, daft overtaking, Kimi hilarity and the win – excellent

One does have to wonder why Hamilton is out and Button finishes again, different set up or just bad luck

glenp
    Free Member

I’ve said it before and I’ll.say it again, Vettel can’t cut it in traffic.

Will you be saying it again? Pit lane to podium, including a wing change and an extra stop. Looked pretty decent to me!

Pook

why did he need a wing change?

glenp
    Free Member

Doesn’t really matter does it? Compared to the ridiculous idea that he can’t come through traffic – which is plainly wrong! OK, so he ain’t perfect (nobody ever made up that many places without taking a few risks) – but that’s a pretty big difference to what you were trying to make out.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Compared to the ridiculous idea that he can’t come through traffic

It just looked to me like everyone else was going slower.

In the queue behind the safety car, Vettel misjudged the pace of Daniel Ricciardo’s Toro Rosso in front of him, had to take avoiding action and smashed into a trackside marker board.

The impact wrecked his front wing but actually worked to his advantage, as it forced the German into the pits for a new wing and he put on a new set of fresh tyres.

jota180
    Free Member

He did pretty well didn’t he He’s had a few moments in the past when coming though traffic, maybe Button was wary this time 🙂

He did manage to throw more double sixes than you’d think possible but it’s being able to take advantage of them that counts.
    I would have loved him to finish a bit lower down TBH, not because I don’t want him to do well but I’d like to see the WC a bit tighter going into the last race.

Cougar

Pook

Lost an end plate clonking grosjean as well didn’t he?

To be fair, he drove a blinder today eventually – my comment about his coming through traffic was made when he dinged his car up first against grosjean and then into the DRS board. Followed by his tantrum.

But hey, hindsight’s a wonderful thing “ain’t” it when you want to make a point?

igm

None of them are that good in traffic. The top lads are better than most though.

And if Vettel rarely comes through traffic perhaps it’s because if the car is working he’s normally out front?

And the car is normally set up with a qualifying rather than racing bias perhaps?

roady_tony
    Free Member

well done kimi, great race,

webber after all his spouting about inexperienced drivers and needing to calm down showed his true colours when it came to HIM passing!!!!

vettel drove a great race, although helped out quite a bit by safety cars.

glenp
    Free Member

Just to add a little more perspective on Vettel – the Red Bull’s entire concept is for maximum downforce for best lap time, not the more versatile set-up that (say) Ferrari use, which has much better top speed. For that reason Red Bull started from the pit lane and turned-out a completely different set-up which SV hd not driven a single mile before the race started. Considering that teams often find great chunks of time fine-tuning the set-up his race was absolutely remarkable – a testament to the technical prowess of that team, and of SV’s quality as a driver in the all-round sense.

Pook

funny, I thought they started from the pit lane cos they’d not had enough fuel in the car during quali and we’re punished accordingly.

Vettel drove well, there’s no doubting that. I still don’t think he’s too comfortable coming through traffic.

richmtb

It was a thoroughly entertaining race best of the season probably.

Fair play to Vettel to finish third from the pit lane is pretty impressive.

It was great to see Kimi winning again, his best comment to his engineer was definitely “Yes, yes, yes I know about the tyres you don’t need to remind me every ten seconds”.

I also loved DC’s attempt to cover for Vettel being a bit sweary on the podium. “Sorry we are asking them to speak in their second language”

legend
    Free Member

No. That put them to the back of the grid. They choose to take the even bigger penalty of starting for the pit lane in order to roll the dice with a new setup

cp

Red Bull are probably also scratching their heads that in their ‘overtaking’ set up they were much much faster than their ‘race’ set up, not just across the race but on single laps as well.

They were also forced to come in as Vettel hit the sign, so Vettel ended up on fresh tyres with a bunched up field when the rest of that field were on worn tyres. They didn’t do that by choice – their choice was to keep him out – but they were forced into it.

Then half a dozen cars took themselves out in front of him which obviously helped progress…

They no doubt have good technical ability in the team, but they got very very lucky with this race.

glenp
    Free Member

funny, I thought they started from the pit lane cos they’d not had enough fuel in the car during quali and we’re punished accordingly.

Hmm. Now I see where you are coming from, and why maybe you don’t see things the same.

DQ from qualifying puts you on the back of the grid. Start from the pit lane is a further disadvantage that the team took upon themselves to be allowed to take the car out of Parc Fermé and change the set-up. Obviously they did that because a different set-up would give them the chance of coming through the field, but it was by no means certain that that gamble would pay-off.

I believe the only reason you feel he isn’t good at overtaking is that you made up your mind on that point some time in the past and now you just refuse to see the evidence before your eyes.

Pook

nope, its cos when I said it, he’d clonked senna, smashed the drs sign, then had a tantrum. He also impatiently passed off the circuit. Hence my comment at the time.

I went on to say he’d driven well.

edit: senna, not grosjean

legend
    Free Member

What does hitting a DRS sign behind the safety car have to do with coming through traffic? Cheekily using all the track, and then some, is a sign of a good driver imo – unless you think someone like (Ayrton) Senna wouldn’t have done the same?

On a side note, did they work out if it’s the inside or outside line that’s the limit of the track? Bring back grass around the edges…..

davidjones15
    Free Member

On a side note, did they work out if it’s the inside or outside line that’s the limit of the track? Bring back grass around the edges…..

And catch fencing too. 😀

cp

Cheekily using all the track, and then some, is a sign of a good driver imo

only if they get away with it – he didn’t & had to give the place back.

What does hitting a DRS sign behind the safety car have to do with coming through traffic?

Hitting the sign forced him to pit as he’d really mullered his front wing, get on some new (soft) tyres, and then scythe through a bunched up field on well worn tyres.

There’s no denying you need skill to overtake, but he was blessed with outright straight line speed which helped his case rather a lot.

Look how long it took him to get past Jenson once there wasn’t such a clear car advantage – friggin ages.

roady_tony
    Free Member

is F1 running its luck out with these ‘almost really bad’ accidents involving open cockpit/flying cars.

i remember how much luck F1 had in 94 before it ran out with bad results….

druidh
    Free Member

There’s been a fair bit of development and testing of “over the head” protection but the general feeling amongst teams, drivers and spectators is that closed-cockpit cars would be a step too far to still be recognisable as F1.

roady_tony
    Free Member

anyone think Domencalli is out of a job if alonso fails to win this year?

druidh
    Free Member

Kimi Raikkonen has given his entire Lotus team T-shirts emblazoned with his now-famous radio message during his Abu Dhabi Grand Prix victory.

The 33-year-old Finn took his first win since his return to the sport this year and his team’s first since the 2008 Japanese Grand Prix.
    On Friday 500 T-shirts carrying the slogan: “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing” arrived at the factory.

The T-shirts are black, with the words in gold, reflecting the team’s colours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20267305

druidh
    Free Member

Glitchy bump

Pity this forum doesn’t know what it’s doing 🙄

bruneep

Be good to see that message on his car at the next race.

jota180
    Free Member

I’m wondering if they’ll have another fair-well get together on the grid in São Paulo for Schumacher

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MlsMVzrp2o[/video]

atlaz
    Free Member

I recall when Kimi left Sauber for McLaren, someone at Sauber said they thought it was very funny that McLaren thought they’d hired Mika Hakkinen 2.0. He said what they’d actually hired was uncontrollable.

treemagnet
    Free Member

There seems to be a lot of luck going to vettel and a lot of bad luck to others ..especially hamilton!
    Definitely more entertaining lately though!

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘The Abu Dhabi GP (spoilers)’ is closed to new replies.