Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The 29er dilemma
  • jdpotter
    Free Member

I’m currently running a cannondale HT 26er for XC and I’ve been looking to get something more suited to an all round bike that can ride the downs a bit better (80mm headshok and 26″ wheel do tend to struggle). However here’s the catch, I have a tiny £300 budget to get me thru the next 18 months of riding before I could afford an upgrade of this 2nd MTB. Was looking to get something like an on one inbred/456 but have started wondering how I can get one for the money and so started wondering whether to go for a 29er something (obviously 650b is way beyond in price)

Advice much appreciated cheers

somouk
    Free Member

I have a 26″ inbred coming up for sale soon that won’t be much more than your budget so they do exist.

I’ve just upgraded to a 29″ inbred and it’s pretty damn good.

jdpotter
    Free Member

Sounds interesting, what have you go running on it? Forks, groupsets etc. I’d looked into building one but my lack of tools for removing and fitting headset/BB/cassette is putting me off

somouk
    Free Member

The 26″ one is running Reba Team forks, Pro 2 on Flow rims, XT 775 brakes, XT cranks, XTR rear mech so not bad kit.

Been an excellent bike but had to scratch the 29″ itch. The 29ers now running a full SLX groupset which after its maiden road voyage today was only a fraction slower on a local loop compared to my fastest time on the 26″ bike and today I had driving rain and wind. Should be quick and smooth in a dry day!

njee20
    Free Member

How is a 29er an option but 650b not? For £300 I’d just save up more, even second hand that’s likely to be quite a backward step.

jdpotter
    Free Member

I’ve had a quick go on a 29er and it just felt plain weird. Just like riding my road bike I felt but then I think the frame was too big for me and put it down to that. What size frame is that 26 inbred then and where you based?

somouk
    Free Member

It’s an 18inch if I remember rightly. I’m Midlands based, the for sale ad will probably go up tomorrow. 🙂

jdpotter
    Free Member

29ers have filtered through onto ebay and pink bike at around that price range. Haven’t seen anything running 650b with close to sensible kit

jdpotter
    Free Member

Somo I’ll keep an eye out for it 😉

Shackleton

I have an 18″ 456, pair of 120mm Rebas or 140mm Pike 454s with a 20mm front wheel taking up space that I could probably part with for that money. If however you need a full bike on that budget I think you may struggle to get what you want!

Email in profile if you are interested…..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The 29er dilemma’ is closed to new replies.