Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The 2013 Cheese & Port thread
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Everyone knows that Christmas Day evening is for drinking a nice port and eating your own bodyweight in cheese. So what’s everyone’s preferences for port and cheese here this year?

I’ve got a 10 year old Tawney Port to demolish, just pondering the cheese now, but it will involve a sock meltingly strong cheddar, a nice goat cheese and something strong & blue.

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s Christmas.

It *has* to be Baby Wensleydale and Christmas Cake.

Port – the bottle I got for my birthday and have saved for Christmas. No idea what it is, but it came in a wooden box so it must be good.

jambalaya
    Free Member

A Twany will need something delicate I would think. I have two very special bottles (50th birthday presents) a bit nervous to open them actually.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Mrs Feet will insist on something delicate, so that will be catered for. I have some more ‘robust’ port tucked away as well, so I can cover all basis

Nick

I’ve a bottle of Fonseca Bin 27 under the stairs, my brother is bringing the cheese so will have to wait and see,

messiah
    Free Member

Devil’s suppository ! (Boulette d’Avesnes)

I prefer a Sherry with cheese… save the Port for later with chocolates 😉

lemonysam
    Free Member

http://www.wardhalldairy.co.uk/

Blindcrake for me:

duckman
    mogrim

I’ll try and get hold of some of the excellent local(ish) goats cheese from Miraflores de la Sierra (north of Madrid):

possibly also some Galician tit cheese (queso de tetilla):

… and something harder, Idiazabal perhaps:

Not sure about the port, might have to go for a stronger Belgian beer or similar.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I like to keep it local if possible for cheese, so this year I have a Tunworth lined up.

Also, I’m a real fan of a hefty beer to go with cheese. Am pondering opening some of the Fuller’s Vintage that I’ve had laid down for a few years and replacing with a new one. Stock rotation and all that!

Port follows later, for me. Not sure what I’ve got to open this year! Am also a fan of Warre’s Otima as a quaffer, though.

Aside from the Tunworth, there will be Colston Basset Stilton and Gorwydd Caerphilly. And I am now hungry.

willard

I’m going to go traditional and have some local stilton I think. The port may or may not happen, but I have a nice bottle of it (ruby) stashed somewhere around the house.

Actually, I might go for some of that wensleydale I saw in the shop too. You can never have too much cheese in the house.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I really like the Otima too, just not found a bottle yet!

failedengineer

I’m a bit of a philistine, me. Any old LBV port (Taylors for instance), some nice Christmas cake and a lump of Tasty Lancashire.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘The 2013 Cheese & Port thread’ is closed to new replies.