• This topic has 24 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The 1985 laminated book of dreams…
  • ktaylor
    Free Member

Just discovered this Flickr account displaying the full contents of a 1985 Argos catalogue:
    1985 Argos Catalogue – toys page

Also reminded me of Bill Bailey’s sketch…
    The laminated book of dreams

pondo

Ha haaa! Remember wanting item 5 of page 190 when I was 12 – couldn’t tell you why now… 🙂

technicallyinept
    Free Member

those continental quilts will never catch on

shermer75
    Free Member

Laminated to protect the pages from my tears of joy lol 😀

jamj1974

That’s excellent!

scuttler

Argos shower screens… cheeky.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Wow. I still have the casio FX451 calculator pictured in there.

Cougar

Wow. I still have the casio FX451 calculator pictured in there.

So do I (-:

MoreCashThanDash

My son is using my Casio calculator for his maths. 30 years after I scraped a D at O level.

scuttler

@scientific-calculator-ists

and thirty years on you still don’t have a scooby what half of those buttons do. Essential Argos purchase though. I had this one, a bit less filofax, a bit more resilient, similarly confusing and far less desirable 🙁

glenh
    Free Member

There’s a few things in there I remember having, including a Casio FX-100 calculator 🙂

Also, I’m amazed they were still selling black & white TVs and typewriters in 1985.

trademark
    Free Member

Nice find scuttler, the very calculator I had to help me with my homework 30-odd years ago!
    Ahh, the memories 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

casio FX451 calculator

I had one of those. Everyone was showing off their calculators, but of course the fashionistas had absolutely no idea what any of it was. This really annoyed me. On mine I set about learning what every single function was and what it was for. My dad helped me with most of it over a series of evening maths lessons, but I had to ask my Maths teacher what the stats functions were. She just smirked at me and gave me some bullshit little kid explanation. Cow.

chakaping
    Free Member

hur hur, it says 8008135!

stevied
    Free Member

Wow, I’d forgotten about Zoids 😯

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Pretty sure I had the same calculator as scuttler.

I’ve still got a Ferguson portable tv (now in the loft, still worked before the digital switch off) and the Tomy sky attack game.

I also remember going to the shop to (try to) buy a sit up bench, but they were sold out.

Northwind

STW summed up (er, pun unintended)- everyone remembers what calculators they had as a kid, nobody remembers zoids 😆

LeeW

£19.95 for a millennium falcon.

I wish.

jamj1974

I had that one Scuttler. The hex functions allowed better calculator ‘rude’ words.

jamj1974

STW summed up (er, pun unintended)- everyone remembers what calculators they had as a kid, nobody remembers zoids

My bro loved these!

BoardinBob

Oh my days!

Northwind

Still got most of those I think 😆

(I have a randomly vivid memory, as a smart arsed wee prick of a child, seeing John Menzies flogging off all their star wars toys in a fire sale and saying to my dad, we should buy all of those and keep them in the attic, I bet they’ll be worth a fortune… They had a shelf full of Y Wings for £5, today in boxed-but-played-with condition they sell for ~£100, couldn’t find a NIB… Beats the S&P 😆 )

ZAMOFAGUH SPACE LEGO! 8860 CAR! And the Action Force APC!

jam-bo

my son still plays with no 22 & 23

technicallyinept
    Free Member

A friend of my mum’s did market research. I got to eat some crisps for research purposes, and got a couple of he-man toys for my trouble – result!

D0NK

wow my relatives must have hit argos hard that year*, loads of stuff in there, transformers (soundwave), space lego (several), tomytronic sky attack, matchbox streakracing, bush walkman personal stereo. Brings back some memories. No star wars or he-man stuff (ungrateful sod that I was)

*TBF dunno whether I’m conflationg several xmas hauls

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘The 1985 laminated book of dreams…’ is closed to new replies.