Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • That's the last time I'm honest on an insurance claim…….
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

What a ferkin joke – due to nothing more than old age a large chunk of plaster came away from the lathes in MrsMM’s old place, now rented…

We put a claim in, as you would…

No, we said, no water leak or owt like that, just old age..
    Back they come to say the required repair is not covered – you cannot account for old age – ‘a**e’ thinks us, but, hey ho, we know now, must review insurance specifics when next renewing…’ then, the twist of the knife – ‘oh, BTW, as the property is patently not well maintained the policy is cancelled…’ and we charge you 30% of the renewal premium (paid in full at the time) for the ‘cancellation’

Not well maintained my a**e – former home of the insured, now rented but very well looked after – recent updates to windows, flat roof sorted etc etc etc so. We get a letter to this effect from the only ‘independent’ source we can – the company that did the repairs for us…

Bit of too-ing a fro-ing by the agent and we get an offer of ‘just’ £44 ‘fees’ so long as we renew the renewal with them…

Sorry – rubbish rant – lack of really bad language, random capitals etc etc – will try harder next time – including making sure ‘a leak happened’…..

And breathe….

maxray
    Free Member

Gutted, I have just had to make a claim on the 2nd of 2 mobiles on our insurance in a week.. bet they think something fishy is going on 🙁

richmtb

Tell them to sing for it, don’t see how they could possibly make you pay this.

Plenty of other insurers out there

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Waderider
    Free Member

Insure only what you have to – for anything else you’re got a notion to insure, benchmark the likely premium and stick the likely premium in a savings account.

Wish I was organised enough to do that!

marsdenman
    Free Member

Tell them to sing for it, don’t see how they could possibly make you pay this.

Plenty of other insurers out there
    Wish I’d had my thinking head on at the time they ‘cancelled’ us as it was within 14 days of renewal so we could have told them to sod it….
    Repair cost us £380, walking away would have cost around £100 + possibly higher cost policy elsewhere… so, taking the hit for now but, they know they can swing next year…..

In a way I’d love to need to claim again, so I could load it – truth is I wouldn’t though, just not brought up that way…
    So’ i’ll settle for wishing evil karma on the underwriters – that’ll fix ’em 🙄

ski
    Free Member

I feel your pain marsdenman

I had my shed broken into 2 weeks ago, they took my rotovator, petrol mower & strimmer, plus best loved spade! (been through a lot with that spade!) – gutted!

Reported it to the police, who laughed when I mentioned the yellow & pink coloured rotavotor (bored daughter one Sunday afternoon).

Anyway, ring insurance company, explain the theft, they asked how long had the tools been kept in the shed, I say 6 months, they then say, if you had said less than 90 days they would have been covered!

Now I don’t know who is taking the pi$$ more, the police or insurance company!

🙁

marsdenman
    Free Member

Anyway, ring insurance company, explain the theft, they asked how long had the tools been kept in the shed, I say 6 months, they then say, if you had said less than 90 days they would have been covered!

WTF!!! so, you’re meant to send the contents of your shed on holiday for a week once every 90 days to avoid an issue…
    Mate , i feel for you – don’t have a favourite spade but i’d surely miss a yellow and pink rotavator….!!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

ski, go have a look at the exclusions and stuff in your policy. Pretty sure that what they’ve told you will be nonsense.

Everywhen
    Free Member

Had a Hot water tank fail, just after we’d bought our current house, made a mess of the ceiling below. Insurance company would not replace the tank due to it being the original 1930’s one using the “wear and tear” excuse. Paid for all the damage though and installation of replacement tank.

takisawa2

When I started reading this thread I was wondering what on earth Mrs MM’s age had to do with an accident while turning some plaster on a lathe. 😐

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘That's the last time I'm honest on an insurance claim…….’ is closed to new replies.