• This topic has 33 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • That's it, we're all doooooomed
  • stumpyjon

Interest rates up 0.25%, the day we never thought we’d see, I predict the housing market to collapse and there will be riots.

Or possibly not, depends if they go up again next month but I reckon there’s a whole generation out there there who won’t remember rates of 5% yet alone double digit rates.

wwaswas

I paid 18.5% interest on my first mortgage. I hope we never see that again but with the brexit omnishambles I’m not confident.

Stoner
    Free Member

Finally! 😀

DezB
    Free Member

And a 200% increase in threads about it

oldtalent
    Free Member

Excellent hopefully my savings will earn more interest.

miketually
    Free Member

We’ve had fixed rate deals on our mortgage since moving house 9 years ago. Finally it’s going to pay off!

P-Jay
    Free Member

There you go ‘homeowners’ you’ve had a decade to put your house in order before those nasty BOE people have hammered you with a reversal of the token cut in rates from last year.

Honestly, the news people seem to have already found people to bleat about it – the BOE have been saving for years that post-crash, even post-Brexit the ‘new normal’ is between 2.5% and 3%.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t panic

Next rise Sep 18

All well flagged – mark is back to being the reliable boyfriend 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m delighted, give me more.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

ZOMG noooooo my mortgage will break through the 2% barrier! Oh woe is me, good thing that when we took it on (at a 5% BOE rate) we made sure it would be affordable if rates went up!

Who would have ever thought that with rock bottom interests rates, they might one day go up? Good thing we don’t have an economy built on excessive personal debt. Oh, hang on…

Kryton57

excessive personal debt

Personal debt has actually reduced from 2017 from £1.40 in the £ to £1.13.

Yay!

matt_outandabout

Is there a cooling off period with £500+vat fee?

oldtalent
    Free Member

In before the usual whiners. Its all trumps/brexits fault boohoo.

whitestone
    Free Member

Is that secured or unsecured debt or the combined total?

An interesting piece on UK debt.

scotroutes

Can I have some more please?

jekkyl

trump and brexit are clearly to blame. 😛

I have 50k of my mortgage on a tracker. I’m considering selling one of the children to pay for the rise. 😡

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We’ve had fixed rate deals on our mortgage since moving house 9 years ago. Finally it’s going to pay off!

Bought ours summer 2015. We thought rates will never be this low for long, better fix it even though it’s considerably more.

Hold my beer and watch this said the leavers……………..

This time we fixed them for 5 years as at least with the economy FUBAR’d we won’t be impacted by rate rises.

pk13

tomorrow I will get a letter from my lender telling they are upping the rate + extra for administrative cost.

some time after Christmas my savings rates might be adjusted I won’t be holding my breath

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Lovely.

More, please. 😀

twicewithchips
    Free Member

£1.13 in the £? That’s somewhat sobering. Are mortgages included?

DT78
    Free Member

1 year into a 5 year fix here, so mildly interesting as it should help ever so slightly with the savings.

Predictions for where we will be in another 4 years?

We’ve planned on 5%, which will be uncomfortable. At 7% we will be wearing thick jumpers and eating cold beans, possible getting a lodger in…

sturdylad
    Free Member

Bloody glad I locked down my 5 year fixed last week!
    Even though the difference is likely to be small I’d rather I had the money than the bank!

bikebouy
    Free Member

It only makes a difference if you’ve got either a mortgage or some savings..

footflaps

It only makes a difference if you’ve got either a mortgage or some savings.

And a tiny difference at that!

£12/month of the average mortgage value of £90k

the-muffin-man

Mortgage advisors are rubbing their hands and busy booking their luxury round-the-world cruises as we type! 😀

Kryton57

I’m loving some of the news website Headline:

“UK INTEREST RATE DOUBLED”[I]

Lol…

finbar
    Free Member

The markets don’t believe we’ll be seeing any more rate rises in the foreseeable future:

https://www.ft.com/content/df46c2e8-bfc6-11e7-9836-b25f8adaa111

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Saw this from the FT blog

It’s been 10 years since the last rise in interest rates, since then average prices are 27.7% higher (CPI) and real pay (excluding bonuses) is 2.5% lower.

So while it’s true that this rise will only make a small difference, if it’s the start of a series of small rises it wont take long before borrowers are feeling it.

Stoner
    Free Member

Saw this from the FT blog

Saw that too.
    Putting one nominal stat next to a real one is a bit cheeky as most people wont understand what they’re looking at.

finbar
    Free Member

Interesting comment from elsewhere in the FT: only reason BoE are doing this is give themselves room to lower interest rates again if once Brexit properly fouls up the economy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

That’s what I read into it too.

But Mark will be gone by then and the Nasty Party will put someone from thier party politic in his place…

rone

Still sitting comfortable on a 1.75% tracker.

Saved loads.

anagallis_arvensis

As an aside to the yay I win boo I lose type post. Is raising rates when the inflation seems imported rather than based on an economy doing well the right option?

andyl
    Free Member

Joking aside is this going to make lenders think further rate increases could be on the cards now and make them be less generous (if you can use that word with a bank) on fixed rates.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘That's it, we're all doooooomed’ is closed to new replies.