Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Thats it – Mud Tyres are on!
  • Kryton57

Summers ended, Mud X’s have replaced Ralphs on the hardtail. I shall tomorrow be going for an exploratory grimmace-fest.

Autumn/Winter has arrived…

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s a bit too soon for that round our way. I’ve got the supertacky high roller front and trailraker rear combo ready to go, but they are so ‘extreme’ in my opinion that they are a bit like full wet tyres in F1, they rip up and wear out if you ride them on dry and grippy trails.

The current mountain king front and crossmark rear I have been running were a bit ‘sporty’ on some of the wet grass on last nights ride, though.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Bike control excess needed last week with the Ralphs, meant the singlespeed with the new Mud x’s will be out now. Its hammering with rain tonight here in the south…..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Really, no. When my Dampfs fail to shed properly, I will put BC Mk2s on. The big swamp thing for the back is reserved in extemis. A long way to go before that

Nobby

The SS is now wearing it’s Mud Xs & rigid forks and had it’s first outing yesterday. It’s not too claggy yet but already quite squidgy in places.

zippykona

It’s bone dry and dusty in deepest Surreyshire.

carlosg
    Free Member

I like the unpredictably of sliding my xc bike around so the Ardents are staying on, the high rollers are staying on the dh bike till I’ve been to antur stiniog next weekend as there isn’t much mud there then my swamp things will be going on for the winter. It’s already a bit muddy around Leeds.

glenh
    Free Member

Dry as a bone last night just north of leeds.

Northwind

I’ll be baronning up tomorrow, but only because they’re good at everything not just mud. Just a wee change of bias from my normal tyres is all.

mrhoppy

Still dusty riding tonight in places, very little mud.

darkcyan
    Free Member

purgatory 2.

29er for me in brighton. trails getting frisky

vicksplace

@Dark Cyan do you rate a pair of Purgatories over a pair of Mud X round here?

I was sliding about all over the place last week at Friston on the Nevegal Dave put on my Singlespeed but can’t decide between sticking on a pair of Mud X (which I own) or a pair of Purgatories (I have a front one on the Soul and it seems pretty good)

vicksplace

double post

coastkid
    Free Member

Surly Nates 4″ all year round, dunn :lol:o what the fuss is all about 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Beavers

weeksy

Monsoon season here last night… the Pro2Evo’s will be going on extended holiday now, with the cheapo and heavier Giant P=XC wheels running a 2.4 Ardent and a 2.25 Nic being fitted…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Lots of rain here in Northumberland yesterday, well, heavy showers. But the ground is so dry that it’ll get soaked up as long as it doesn’t last too long.

No need for mud tyres yet.

darkcyan
    Free Member

for pure grip the purgatory gets the nod, I think for overall riding, up / down / around mud x is better.

The 2.3 I now have on the front wheel makes the bike feel a little front heavy.

That said it grips like a drunk to his pint.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i run ralphs all year ;)- mainly cause i dont have any 29er mud tires and the last thing i need is more tires….

currently resisting the urge to fit my winter marathons spikes to the commuter – easy way to add 1.5KG to a bike ! resistance training

ndthornton
    Free Member

Mud – whats that?
    Quite lucky in Malvern Hills 🙂

Lack of experience with the gloopy stuff did show up a treat last Sunday though as I tried to ride down Revolution bike park – Oh dear – quite a bit of tree hugging!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

A mud-X has been on the back of the hardtail for the past 12 months.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Trying Beavers this winter. Used Mud Xs and Storms previously, and always preferred Storms. After a particularly grim wet ride last weekend I am very pleased with the Beavers. Not sure they had quite as much traction as the Storms in deep wet mud, but other than that a very good all round wet weather tyre even giving me confidence on roots and rocks.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Dry as a bone round these parts, too! In fact it was 24 degrees yesterday! 8) Last year we had snow around this time.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Yesterday’s ride around the Chilterns was a bog fest thanks to the warm wet weather so I’m dusting off my fat bike today.

P20

Beavers ordered

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Really, no. When my Dampfs fail to shed properly, I will put BC Mk2s on. The big swamp thing for the back is reserved in extremis. A long way to go before that

Ha! I got dumped at high-speed last night from front-wheel washout on a slippery camber; I just bounced and rolled-off down the trail and was unharmed, phew.

Hmm… thinking a stickier compound to be a bit more forgiving, or just accept I screwed-up and get on with it!?

neninja
    Free Member

Still hanging in there with my usual tyre combos at the minute – RocketRon/Ralph combo on the hardtail and Rubber Queen/Mountain King on the FS.

Some of the trails round here are fine as is Hamsterley, others are a boggy mess. Getting more selective on where I ride until I give up and throw the Dirty Dans on.

trusty

Storm’s on now for Bringewood / Mortimers, and still slippery. Try and ride the Long Mynd and Hopton more!

adsh
    Free Member

I was out today round the Chilterns and the trailkings were pretty sketchy. Trouble is continental 2.2 (ie a generous 2.1) is as narrow as I dare go because dedicated narrow tyres kill my back. Can’t go much over that as I’m on 717s Any ideas?

Northwind

There’s lots of decent sized tyres that work better than trail kings/rubber queens in mud. Specialized Butcher isn’t a mud tyre but works pretty well in mud- spiky and clears better than most, genuine 2.3. Or Conti’s (very expensive but brilliant) 2.3 Baron, which is a wee bit undersized, but still has decent volume and is designed for mud. (basically, it’s the modern equivalent of a swampthing)

chip
    Free Member

Viva la beaver,

Really impressed.
    Makes Tarmac feel like treacle but worth it as cracking in the slop.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Were still cleaning the dust off with the airline up here in the Lake district 😉

Reluctant
    Free Member

Same tyres all year round for me ~ just adapt the riding style. Ignitor on the front and a bald-as-a-badgers-arse Ignitor on the rear ~ what could possibly go wrong?

Kryton57

Its slop heaven/hell in my locale…. fun night ride tonight though.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Thats it – Mud Tyres are on!’ is closed to new replies.