Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • That's it, I give up! (Crank Brothers content)
  • br
    Free Member

I tried out a pair of Candy’s a while ago after time on SPD’s and liked them. Especially the non-adjustment for fit and light weight.

But now after my 3rd set fell apart, while on a ride, I give up. 3 bloody pairs in two years – they may be ok for weekend riding in Califonia, but they are bu99er all good for 2-3 rides a week in the wet UK.

So into Alpine and bought a pair of 520’s, and continued with our ride.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

Egg Beaters were pretty much the same. I went through a few sets quite quickly and then went back to Shimano pedals. Shame as the Egg Beaters were pretty light, went through bearings fairly often though.

scotroutes

I use Candys on my MTBs and Tourer. I must have clocked up almost 10,000 miles over 3 pairs. One pair has had a quick skoosh of grease, the others haven’t been touched.

IdleJon

A bunch of us who used to ride together had Eggbeaters and they all fell apart. I swore not to use CB products again.

That was at least 7 years ago, possibly 8 or 9 years.

For how many years can CB continue to sell defective products?

br
    Free Member

Well according to Strava the last pair of Candy 1’s (replaced Candy 3’s) lasted for about 2500 miles, admittably very wet miles.

At least when SPD’s fail they just go ‘baggy’, whereas the Candy body parts company with the axle – ending the ride.

excitable1
    Free Member

Guided some chaps over the Nan Bield last year and one of them was on a brand new pair of Candy’s. One of his pedals disintegrated on the home stretch. By all accounts they were his 3rd pair. I’ve also had 2 pair go on me (5 years ago).

I fear for anyone with those Crank Brothers wheels cus when they dissolve it’s going to be spectacular !

Crank Brothers = Bag of Sh1te stuff but looks ferkin cool (IMO) !

allthepies
    Free Member

Pint anyone ? I’m buying…

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Is funny,had several pairs of Candy’s and eggbeaters and the occasional squirt of grease and they have been fine.Replaced a set a bearings in one set as routine maintenance but never had a pair fall apart on me.
    Thanx,
    Max

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

whereas the Candy body parts company with the axle – ending the ride.

If that happens, it’s YOUR fault for not looking after them.

Yes, they are delicate, yes, SPDs are tougher, but if they actually fall apart it’s through neglect, pure and simple.

IdleJon

excitable1 – Member

Crank Brothers = Bag of Sh1te stuff but looks ferkin cool (IMO) !

I loved the way my Eggbeaters worked, especially on the cross bike – at muddy races they were way ahead of any of my Shimano spds.

Maybe I’d have been less stroppy if the pedal hadn’t come off the axle while I was crossing a busy dual carriageway.

Digger90
    Free Member

Never understood the CB fan base – everything of theirs I’ve owned has disintegrated.

IdleJon

PeterPoddy – Member

Yes, they are delicate, yes, SPDs are tougher, but if they actually fall apart it’s through neglect, pure and simple.

You’d have thought that but mine came apart with no warning. No bearing/axle movement, no jiggliness. Same with the other riders in the club – all experienced riders, none of us afraid of maintaining our bikes.

I’ve never seen any other component fail at the same rate as I’ve seen CB pedals disintegrate.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

i agree 100% with PP on this, if you let them get in that state its your own fault – mine failed last week through pure neglect 7 months of hard wet wintery muddy use 3 times a week in peak grit for lots of miles…

it was only when they failed whilst out that i realised id neglected them to long…

it really is a piece of piss to service CB eggbeaters and they are fantastic pedals…i will now be stripping/regreasing mine way more often!

they are back like to new now ive rebuilt them

they get alot of abuse and its the one thing ive let slip, 7 months without touching one of the major components on the bike….

even the rebuild kits are only about 12 quid or so and they literally get them like new again

scotroutes

Does anyone else offer a 5 year warranty on their pedals?

IdleJon

scotroutes – Member

Does anyone else offer a 5 year warranty on their pedals?

I’ve no idea because even the most basic Shimano pedals don’t collapse catastrophically. Never given it a thought.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

not true ive had some new style XTR ones fail completely after about 6 months, they werent fixable and replaced by madison!

im not alone on this either so the top of the range xtr ones do fail in fact

at least with CB eggbeaters you can easily service them

pymwymis
    Free Member

Love my egg eaters. Can’t beat them in the clay mud we get in the chilterns. Still on my original set must be 5 yers old now and while they could be smoother spinning I have to admit to not giving them much TLC so that’s my problem.

bigblackshed

Complete opposite for me.

Shimano M520 lasted 3 months before the bearings collapsed. The Shimano tools to set the lock nuts was £15. And didn’t fit.

Cheap as chips Candys have lasted 5 years, 3 of which were very heavy commuting. Zero maintenance. Never greased. Not even taken the end cap off. Still perfect.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve no idea because even the most basic Shimano pedals don’t collapse catastrophically. Never given it a thought.

Mine did last week. Pedal body came off the axle on my 540s….just riding along. However, I used to have candy’s….never again. Got Shimano 540s on three bikes and, apart from last week, they’ve lasted significantly longer than my candys.

mboy
    Free Member

Spent years defending Crank Bros pedals (which admittedly used to be better built than they are now!) defending them to everyone cos I loved their action and their simplicity. Even defended the silly soft brass cleats wearing out ridiculously fast compared to others.

I now understand how the camel that had a straw break its back felt!

I’ve given up… Shimano M520’s can be bought so cheap (with new cleats) that if they fail you just chuck them and don’t worry. That and they don’t feel like they’re about to fall apart when brand new (seriously, CB pedals have gone downhill big time when it comes to quality!), they even feel ok when they’re clearly way past their best. They don’t work as well in the mud granted, but I’m not racing. If I was I’d investigate the new Time’s or Look MTB pedals, as they’ve got a similar action to the crank bros pedals but are reportedly much longer lasting.

…if they actually fall apart it’s through neglect, pure and simple.

So what sort of routine maintenance should I have been doing to prevent this.

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Time Pedals FTW

Similar feel to CBs, Shimano reliability.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have had the same set of Shimano SPD’s for the last ten years. Lord knows how many miles they have done but they have seen some sh**ty winters.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Used to swear by my Eggbeaters, loved ’em.

They had regular greasing and had bearing kits. They still fell apart and the most annoying fact was they’d give you about 10 revolutions notice then catastrophically fail. Not good. Also had a couple of pairs where threaded part of the spindle sheared off.

Replaced them all with Time pedals a few years ago and they’ve been faultless and I’ve needed to do nothing with them

br
    Free Member

Hmm. They work and then suddenly you get a horrible clicking, and 10 yds later the pedal body comes off leaving an axle behind.

So what do you reckon the service intervals are – 1000 miles, 50 rides?

If they started to get rough, then you’d know – but they don’t, they just fail.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve circumnavigated the globe with my CB Eggbeaters.

Oh, no! Wait. That was a marketeer fantasy.

I had a pair of Look S2R Moab pedals (their first MTB SPD type pedal) The spring corroded and failed.

Since then I’ve exclusively used Shimano SPDs, M535 (old), M515, M520, M540, M775 & M959s. Oddly none of them have failed me EVER! The M535s eventually wore out after 5 years daily commuting abuse.
    The 3 pairs that I still use are all working perfectly.
    Meanwhile out of the last 3 rides I’ve done with mates, 2 have been curtailed / cancelled by Eggbeaters / Malletts coming apart.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I find Time ATACs offer all of the advantages of CBs, without the maintenance or random unclipping incidents.

igm

At least when SPD’s fail they just go ‘baggy’, whereas the Candy body parts company with the axle – ending the ride.

Of course when Time pedals fail – oh wait a minute Time pedals don’t fail (at least the old style ones don’t)

andyl
    Free Member

bigblackshed – Member
    Complete opposite for me.

Shimano M520 lasted 3 months before the bearings collapsed. The Shimano tools to set the lock nuts was £15. And didn’t fit.

Are you sure you bought the right tool? I thought the only tool was the the TL-PD40 for removing the spindle and that is £1.99 from halfords.

jonnyrockymountain

Time here too !!!!

khani
    Free Member

Time keeps on tickin…

Del

Oscillate Wildly – Member
    PeterPoddy – Member

i agree 100% with PP on this, if you let them get in that state its your own fault
    err, non.
    explain to me how a stainless axle on candys, breaking in half, on an otherwise fully functioning, quiet and smooth pedal, was my fault through neglect?
    you can stick CB where it doesn’t shine.
    times for me now. aliums in particular.

rickmeister

“Time” to change…

Simples… even Kaesae does kits for these..

headpotdog
    Free Member

Time ATACs are blooming brilliant, but Shimano 520s are just so cheap and tough they’re hard to ignore. Can’t see the point of the CBS though. Why bother when there are other relatively trouble free options out there?

singlespeedstu

I kept using them for a long* time.
    Loved the action of them.
    Loved the weight of them.

But had one too many snapped axles for me to keep taking the chance of being stranded with one pedal and a long scoot home.

Switched back to Shimano and been maintenance free ever since.

*almost as long as they’ve been throwing them together.

Maybe Peter included an axle change in his monthly service routine…

I’ve not looked back on swapping back to Shimano.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Shimano all the way. I’ve had a pair for years that get used for long trips. Don’t know what they are – they just work. In saying that however, most of the time it’s fatties flatties, and they have been on for about 4 years, and all I have done is install new pegs – and they still feel like new.

Northwind

PeterPoddy – Member

So my mate should have done some sort of servicing halfway through the first ride? 😆

grum
    Free Member

They make really nice multitools.

kimbers

ive had a set of mallets ive had for about 6 years, done xc, dh, a few megas, lots of filthy weather too, 2 bearing changes the whole time and their still sweet

had a couple of sets of smartys thatve taken some abuse commuting and died after many hundreds of miles

ime play develops then change the bearings and thyre fine, an annual bearing change is worth the hassle

ive got some of the newer mallets and they seem great

singlespeedstu

They make really nice multitools.

Apart from them going rusty at the slightest hint of damp. 😆

But at least the multi tools never left you with a one footed scoot home. 😕

an annual bearing change is worth the hassle

LOLERCOPTERS.

Bearings and bushes were lasting me two months tops.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘That's it, I give up! (Crank Brothers content)’ is closed to new replies.