Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • That's another year written off then (hernia content)
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

I can vouch for not doing pull ups three weeks after double inguinal surgery, was doing ok until i tensed up my abs to do just one more, OuCh 😳 , don’t think i’ve done any damage, but my right plum is very angry about it.
    The big problem is coping psychologically, every day i’m not training i can imagine myself getting weaker, it will take months to get back into beast mode.

squirrelking
    Free Member

2 weeks on after open inguinal I’m nowhere near ready to start any exercise that involves the slightest abdominal participation. Still getting occasional twinges and stiffening up on long journeys.

scaredypants

I had a periumbilical hernia mesh repair 3 days ago

I’m mobile but that’s about all (built 2 fatty wheels today though 😀 )

(took under 3 months from referral to procedure – the PSTC said that it “had to” be within 3; a points make prizes target, presumably)

can’t quite work out which is worse, laughing or shitting 🙁

donneh
    Free Member

did you guys make any adjustments to your riding style? lower the seat post etc etc?

tks

aracer
    Free Member

I’m 7 weeks after here, the wound is still sore, still doesn’t seem to have closed up properly and still oozing a bit of pus – I still haven’t done any exercise. Have yet another appointment booked with the GP next week. Wondering if I should juat follow JY’s advice, but it’s definitely been worse since I went for a walk up the hills a week ago, and on a long trip in the car last week I was feeling every bump by the time I got home. Whilst I’m not sure whether I’m going to make it worse I’m also rather out of the habit and lacking motivation to get out on the road bike, which is the least impact thing I can think of doing.

aracer
    Free Member

Did you have trouble with the requirements for them to let you go home after the op? Mine is in a similar position and I had to full myself up to the brim with water so that it just happened without having to push. Yes, similar experience with those other things at that stage – just keep taking the drugs. I was thinking I’d stop them after a few days, but finished the supply I got sent home with – though I think my issues with pain may be related to the infection I got, still very sore a couple of weeks after.

scaredypants

Did you have trouble with the requirements for them to let you go home after the op?

not really, except that I was really, really dry after not drinking for ages. Took a couple of litres before I remotely needed a slash

Drugs-wise, I’m somewhere near off them now (last paras & ibuprofen were last night and haven’t touched the tramadol – not sure I want more opiate, given the comments on shitting)

Infection, though, unlucky. Hope it sorts out soon. Have you got a mesh in there ?

scaredypants

Incidentally, I had an interesting anatomy lesson as part of it all – referred pain to both shoulders in the couple of days after the op. Hurt a lot, v weird indeed.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Had two Epigastric and one inguinal. First Epigastric or umbilical whatever you want to call it failed after three months. Was done by Royal Blackburn. Had very poor post op care also nearly choked on my own vomit. And wasn’t monitored properly when back on the ward.
    Second attempt at the above done at a private hospital as a Nhs patient. Fixed properly and never had a problem took 45 minutes to do as he said the previous job was absolutely terrible.

Inguinal hernia done by Salford Royal no problems.

First Epigastric hernia done 2009 second one in 2010 and inguinal in 2007. All done open surgery. 4/6 week recovery due to nature of job (heavy lifting on hospital wards) back on mtb/ motorbike on week 3 but was sore. Week one I wasn’t allowed to lift anything heavier than a small bag of shopping.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Scaredy, Lactulose got me moving again, just make sure you have enough to drink as I got a horrific headache the next morning (but that may have been the co-codamol). I came off the painkillers fairly soon, I’m now taking an ibuprofen on days that I feel the need, mobility is returning fairly fast, the main thing is now not over stretching myself ( but a dirty weekend away certainly wasn’t too much of a pain). Just got my second sick line, will be back to work after this on reduced duties then back to full duties at six weeks all going well.

scaredypants

Lactulose got me moving again

Ha! Yeh, they called me up today to see how I was going and I said much the same to them (i.e. if you’re going to give me dihydrocodeine before, fentanyl during, dihydrocodeine again after and then tramadol to take home, don’t you think a bottle o’juice might be sensible ?)

donneh
    Free Member

Did the hospital prescribe any special stool softeners for you? Or you went retail to purchase them?

hugo
    Free Member

Yep, that’s the kind of thing. You should be able to take a huge load off your mid section with those kind of exercises.

donneh
    Free Member

thanks again Hugo

What should i be doing with my breathing and abdomen while performing these machine exercises? I guess… never hold my breath.. and never to push out my stomach?

I need a recumbant bike…

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘That's another year written off then (hernia content)’ is closed to new replies.