Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • That's a lot of cash for a 26 inch hardtail
  • iolo
    Free Member

Got an email from On One.
    They have clearance deals.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO456CEVOX01/on-one-456-evo-carbon-sram-x01-mountain-bike?utm_source=The+Planet+X+and+On-One+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=a08b6cbe88-021715&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_561486488b-a08b6cbe88-271111493&mc_cid=a08b6cbe88&mc_eid=e42afab299

1500 quid for a twenty six inch wheeled hardtail is a bucketload of cash even though they’ve knocked 500 off.
    It will be worth less than half that should you try and sell it the following day.
    Or am I just not appreciating the cost of bikes these days?

_tom_
    Free Member

£1500 is a lot of cash for a bike full stop imo.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Im sure it cost a similar sum to make as one with ever so slightly bigger wheels. But yes of course the used price will be lower than its 1.1″ bigger brother

kayak23

It’s got decent kit on it and it’s carbon.
    The wheels won’t make a huge difference.
    I’d be interested if it didn’t have white forks and wasn’t uglier than a champion gurner on Crystal meth.

theocb
    Free Member

It has some high end kit to be fair. It is almost worth buying to split imo.

mcnultycop

£400 forks, £180 dropper, £600 groupset, decent brakes, decent wheels (if the “wrong” size), nice bars (I have a set).

Decent kit and a free frame, what’s not to like?

deviant
    Free Member

Not something i’d spend £1500 on but i gather that new Carbon Evo frame is really good, certainly a step forward from the original Carbon 456 that needed a slackset to turn it into anything resembling it’s metal cousins.

I always said wheel size wouldnt be an issue for me, a good bike is a good bike regardless of wheels size….but….at that price i’d have to think about how much i’d get selling it on at some point and sadly as someone said, it’ll probably halve on value as it passes through your front door!

I have a 26 inch hardtail and i love it, been to BPW on it and going again in April, ride it all over the place and just change the tyres depending on season and terrain but i got it for a song on eBay and its built up using stuff that appears on CRC’s sales from time to time…unfashionable Kore bars, heavy old Hussefelt stem, Deore level brakes and drivetrain etc etc…it doesnt owe me much but it keeps on giving….i have a brand new 27.5 full suspension and my enjoyment is in no way increased due to the extra cost of this bike, if anything i get twitchy about pranging it!

al1982
    Free Member

i built my 456 carbon eve for less, its not the same spec but similar…

endurogangster
    Free Member

You would be a retard for spending that much on any other wheel size! At least 26″ will still be around in 5 years! Decent spec on it too

tpbiker
    Free Member

are 150mm pikes convertable to 160mm?

maxtorque

Why oh WHY doesn’t the “Evo” have a 142x12mm rear end??

I’ve just attacked the std drop outs on my non evo C456 with a milling machine, and now have a 12x142mm rear end 😉

br
    Free Member

It has some high end kit to be fair. It is almost worth buying to split imo.

This ^

I saw this and if I hadn’t just bought a Reverb for my 26″ FS I’d have bought one as I’d also like a Pike.

Reverb, Pike, 1×11 etc

And there is nothing wrong with 26″.

stewartd
    Free Member

You don’t really need to spend huge bucks if you have a half decent doner bike!

I’m doing a carbon 456 budget build using a 2011 Cube Acid donator, probably spent about £600 all in with headset etc oh and some nice looking shimano saints.

couple pics… yes I know the tyres are dirty so what lol …

http://puu.sh/g2Zbs/a987b92557.jpg
    http://puu.sh/g2Ydh/5db780640b.jpg
    http://puu.sh/g2Z0y/1f8bfcff68.jpg

All I can say is lovely frame, it’s hollow sound when hammering in the headset is scary, yet it takes the beating no problem… even though the race on the frame for top bearing race was slightly ovalled on arrival (Metal file, teflon paste, rubber mallet = Win).

-Stu

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep if I was upgrading a nice 26″ FS I’d be looking at that.
    Groupset, Fork and Reverb are worth it really and you get a spare wheelset and some spares/ebay fodder.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Nearly a grand less than I spent building a 26″ hardtail last year. Don’t really care as I built it to ride, not sell.

Spin
    Free Member

Depends if you’re buying it with an eye to selling it on or buying it to ride for years.

nealglover
    Free Member

It will be worth less than half that should you try and sell it the following day.

That may be true.

But it’s also probably true for most bikes.

And also, who buys a bike to sell it the next day ?

Euro
    Free Member

I think the OP was exaggerating for effect.

In an alternate universe there is a thread which reads ‘That’s a lot of 26″ inch hardtail for the cash’.

br
    Free Member

Hora, renton? I’m sure there are others 🙂

jimmy

I rode my 26″ last night after about 6 weeks on 650b. I didn’t die and it was great fun, much to my surprise.

boltonjon

Jeez – you’ve read to much MBUK or MBR – this is a great bargain of a bike

I owned a C456 got 2 years and thought it was great

If i was in the market for a really well specced hardtail for hooning around i’d be all over this

26″ wheeled bikes are still really good – they didn’t stop being good when the marketing men launched the 650b – they just became ‘unfashionable’

Stoner
    Free Member

TBF to the OP, it’s an On-One bike – given the consistency of his point view on On-One/PX he’s hardly likely to start a thread saying “That’s a hell of a bargain from On-One”

Any argument about 26″ vs 650b and residuals is just manufactured to have a poke.

iolo
    Free Member

All my bikes are 26 inch (apart from my road bike) and have no intention to sell (unless I can grab an amazing bargain).
    I agree the bike is top spec but the point im trying to make is it is “out of fashion” even before you buy it and as such the value is significantly less than a similar “cool sized wheel bike”.
    How many other manufacturers are still selling complete build 26 inch bikes? I’m sure there’s a few but not so many.

Rosss
    Free Member

It’s strange because a lot of people have put a 650b wheel in these no problem (according to t’interweb). Sell the wheels and throw some 650b wheels on there and I’m sure it’d look like a good buy to most people.

cookeaa

TBF They want £100 more for a similar spec (with Rev’s rather than Pikes though!) but assembled with tweener wheels and a Gas pipe frame…

So I’d say 26″ wheels, Pikes and a Carbon frame makes it relative bargain… 😉

iolo
    Free Member

If that’s the case why don’t sell the 26 inch forks separately ond stick some 650b forks and wheels on then?

ndthornton
    Free Member

out of fashion

Nail – head – hit

…and since I am deeply unfashionable I would be interested in that bike if it wasn’t for the fact that I enjoy the process of seeking out bargain bits and building bikes from scratch….. which can work out even cheaper since its 26in.

cookeaa

[video]http://youtu.be/iNPA68htGxk[/video]

chestrockwell

You would be a retard for spending that much on any other wheel size! At least 26″ will still be around in 5 years! Decent spec on it too

Well done.

binners

I am correct in thinking that they discontinued 26″ wheeled bikes because if you tried to ride one you’d definitely die, right?

Thought so. Just checking.

cookeaa

Yes all discontinued apart from those you can still buy…
    The 456 Evo Carbon for example…

I think the real point is that only a maniac would buy any complete On-One build when you could assemble a bike just as good by simply buying the frame, raiding your spares bin and shopping for other parts for yourself…

New complete bikes are generally a bit pricey… Shocka!

D0NK

I thought it sounded like a decent deal.
    Mind you I’d put my own wheels on
    Probably replace with my own controls
    I’d baulk at paying for new x01 cassette when it wore so I’d sell that stuff
    so erm yeah great deal 😉

but seriously the fork, dropper and groupset everyone is currently raving about, ok wheels and finishing kit, dunno about the brakes but I seem to recall a guide review that was positive. If I was after a full bike I’d be considering it.

amedias
    Free Member

but the point im trying to make is it is “out of fashion” even before you buy it

Good, means I won’t have to go through the soul destroying transition from ‘Swoon-worthy Trail God’ to ‘Deeply unfashionable woodland grobbit’ 2 days after buying it, nobody needs that roller coaster ride, better to just get on with riding my bike and leave the paparazzi to follow some fluro-clad trail-shredder so they can sell some 650bx4 prints of him in the next bike comic

ampthill

The way that some people rave about the good old days of 26 inch wheels I’m amazed its not £500 extra. Sold with the tag line (grab the last of the best wheel size) banner

chestrockwell

It’s good to see some people are still getting really angry about wheel size. I miss the really epic wheel size threads but small ones like this help.

br
    Free Member

I think the real point is that only a maniac would buy any complete On-One build when you could assemble a bike just as good by simply buying the frame, raiding your spares bin and shopping for other parts for yourself…

Except, you can’t for the price unless you happen to have a Pike, 1×11, Reverb lying around – and as new supplied, all warrantied.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

iolo – Member

1500 quid for a twenty six inch wheeled hardtail is a bucketload of cash even though they’ve knocked 500 off.
    Or am I just not appreciating the cost of bikes these days?

700 quid here waiting in cash

Oddly Im looking for a s/h bike and am just about to spend the afternoon seeing how prices are at the moment here and on ebay before splurging

Suspect I wont get the above for 700 notes though 🙂

nairnster
    Free Member

Except, you can’t for the price unless you happen to have a Pike, 1×11, Reverb lying around – and as new supplied, all
    warrantied.

That exact spec at the reduced price perhaps not. However, i just built a 45650b for £1030 with all new parts, and i think it’s better specced than their off the peg sram x9 build.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘That's a lot of cash for a 26 inch hardtail’ is closed to new replies.