Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • That You Tube clip of the guy climbing the HUGE mast
  • franksinatra

Has anyone got a link? I can’t find it and want to scare my Mum with it (she doesn’t like heights)

jd77
    Free Member
    Rochey
    Free Member

Man they have some balls going that!!!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    franksinatra

Perfect, thanks

Big balls yes, stupid, yes. There is no justification for not clipping in. There is one point, right at the the end when he is at the top, he is sorting his gear and not actually holding on!

bloodynora
    Free Member

Totally mad!

The Fred Dibnah one is good too where he erects a scaffolding around the top of a chimney he’s about to demolish. Nowhere near that TV mast height but still frickin high! Zero health and safety just a flat cap and dog end hanging out of his gob 🙂

marsdenman
    Free Member

There is one point, right at the the end when he is at the top

where when I watched it, when it last went round, i was clearly to be heard saying ‘ for god’s sake, clip on….’ 😯

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Jeez….thats a bit high! don’t fancy that one bit!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s the second time I watched it and it gave me the willies again 😯

bigyinn
    Free Member

ARRRGGGHHH! 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

If I worked there I’d be so tempted to smuggle a parachute up there.

“Ok lads it’s 5pm see you in the pub” wheeeeeeeeee!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Big balls yes, stupid, yes. There is no justification for not clipping in.

piffle.

the most effective form of safety when working at height is not to fall off. If you are willing to accept the consequences of your own actions and trust in your abilities then the lack of hindrance is great. I’d love not to have to clip in when moving around on truss.

a structure like that is too tall to accommodate an inertia device, it’s add considerable time to the climb if the had to move protection every few feet.

[caveat] risk to those on the ground needs to be considered

molgrips
    Free Member

the most effective form of safety when working at height is not to fall off

Er, missing the point about safety there aren’t you?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

no, in an environment like that where (acts of god weather aside) you are entirely responsible for your own safety then knowing your own limits is a far more reliable form of protection than any fall arrest device

RealMan
    Free Member

Surely falling off isn’t actually what people would worry about, it’s the hitting the ground that’s the issue. And the best way to prevent hitting the ground is not to fall off, therefore it is a safety precaution.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Here we go..

molgrips
    Free Member

Come off it.

It’s not about exceeding your limits, it’s about the unforeseen freak occurrence.

Why do you think we have safety rules? Because people like you thought they were perfectly fine then slip, bang, he was a lovely man and will be greatly missed by his family etc etc.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i’ll quote myself

If you are willing to accept the consequences of your own actions

binners

Has elfinsafety gone mad? The Daily Mail said he had. I’m worried about him

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

that video gives me the willies though, i’m used to height yet i get butterflies in my stomach just watching it.

quite the buzz though i’d imagine

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Why do you think we have safety rules

originally we had safety rules to prevent injury or death through the actions or negligence of others (employers) in the course of work, not to prevent harm caused by oneself through lack of ability. Those guys will clearly be provided safety gear by their employers, this fulfils the safety rules. Should they choose not to use it without risk of injury to others then that is completely fair enough. I don’t know a single rigger who clips in to the basket of pickers despite it being a requirement.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the most effective form of safety when working at height is not to fall off. If you are willing to accept the consequences of your own actions and trust in your abilities then the lack of hindrance is great. I’d love not to have to clip in when moving around on truss.

I think we can all agree it is best to not fall when high up however it is not the fall that kills you it is hitting th ground very hard at high speed. Being clipped in prevents this so is slightly more effective than being [over]confident in your own abilities.
    Many accidents happen to highly competent individuals who have become blasse or hardened to the daily risks they face – eg not clipping in to picker baskets.
    If you provide an employee with PPE and know they are not using it you are not absolved from prosecution. You have a duty to protect them as an employer even from themesleves and thier own stupidty. IIRC it is a sackable offence to not use provided PPE .

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Many accidents happen to highly competent individuals who have become blasse or hardened to the daily risks they face

these are no longer competent people

you are correct about the law although as is common with H&S regulation it provides little flexibility for different working environments. Case in point – regarding picker baskets, clipping in is to prevent users being ‘bounced’ out of the basket and more indirectly to prevent you form climbing on the guard rails, this is not a realistic scenario on the kind of surfaces that my work takes place on, if i feel it is a possibility then i clip in.

molgrips
    Free Member

Many people who have accidents think they are perfectly fine and competent up til that point. Maybe if that tower bloke had fallen off he’d have had time to think ‘oh dear me, I wish I’d clipped in’ on the way down. Perhaps not though – perhaps he’d be thinking ‘oh well I took my chances, I’m happy with the outcome’ as he plummeted.

Can you honestly say you don’t know anyone who takes chances when they shouldn’t? I do it myself, and give myself a slap afterwards and resolve to be better next time.

binners

Ever seen anyone fall from a great height? I have. A steel erector fell off the top of a silo and landed on his head about 6ft in front of me. Luckily for him he hit all the girders on the way down, slowing his final impact speed, when his head belted the tarmac and exploded like a water melon. Unbelievably, he actually lived. Though he broke just about every bone in his body, including his skull

However, as i threw my jacket into a skip as it was soaked in blood and horrible oozy brain fluid, then went into shock, I didn’t really appreciate his somewhat cavalier attitude to the non-use of safety equipment.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

like i said, they’ve clearly accepted the consequences of their actions

Of course i know people who take foolish risks and i’ve done it myself. After one incidence of very nearly causing injury to another I am far more aware of the risk to others. H&S laws are generally very good but applied poorly by people with little understanding of the actual risks involved. For instance a venue i worked at recently insisted on those at height wearing a hard hat and high vis jacket, neither of which helped to prevent injury to me or others yet those working below me were not required to wear a lid, arguably of far more use.

I’ve seen a rigger fall from height causing a serious head injury, he didn’t fall because he wasn’t using PPE, he fell because he did a stupid thing, if he’d been using a harness clipped in to the ladders he’d have likely pulled down the ladders, 80ft of heavy drapes and all the hardware associated with it causing injury to others. wearing a standard issue strapless hard hat would have done nothing to prevent his head injury, they are designed to prevent injury from falling objects and striking you head on obstacles at head height.

GrahamS

originally we had safety rules to prevent injury or death through the actions or negligence of others (employers) in the course of work, not to prevent harm caused by oneself through lack of ability.

Thing is you can be as competent as you like, but lets say (for argument sake) that one of those metal rungs has a manufacturing flaw in it and shears off unexpectedly, or the guy before you spilt some grease on it, or the guy applying the paint missed a bit and it is rusted through. etc etc

If someone elses negligence, incompetence or sheer bad luck kills you then you’ll be right, but just as dead.

No way you;d ever get me up that tower – but if I had to do it then I’d be clipped onto anything available!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

anyway, there’ll be no agreement on this, it’s like the bike helmet debate, some peoples attitude to risk to themselves varies to others, simples.

there is no excuse for causing risk to others though.

molgrips
    Free Member

For instance a venue i worked at recently insisted on those at height wearing a hard hat and high vis jacket, neither of which helped

True, but poor application of the rules does not make the rules bad. That argument seems to be a diversionary tactic.

Safety should be about habit. You should always do the safety procedures automatically. If you leave it up to the individual to make a decision on it then chances are they will sometimes make the wrong decision.

Of course the individual can make bad decisions about anything, but I am talking about safety backup procedures.

I always put a helmet on when I ride a bike, even though I know sometimes I don’t need it, because I want it to be as habitual as putting on shoes or trousers. When it becomes completely automatic it’s no longer a chore, just part of biking.

Oh and one final thought – if I kill myself biking or climbing, it’s not only me that suffers, it’s my family. So the individualistic argument isn’t quite the whole story. I am responsible for not only my personal safety but the happiness of my family. That’s something I should not gamble with.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

H&S laws are generally very good but applied poorly by people with little understanding of the actual risks involved

molgrips
    Free Member

What are you saying? That I’m wrong because I don’t know your industry?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

no, you said

True, but poor application of the rules does not make the rules bad.

a point i had already made

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok, fair enough.

kevin1911

That’s terrifying. Wouldn’t a parachute be just as useful as being clipped on?

As for dragging the tool bag behind you, that seems daft. If it snags as you climb or gets caught by a gust of wind it could quite easily upset your balance enough to be dangerous.

Surprised they’re allowed to not be clipped in. Maybe it’s a US thing of efficiency and time/money saving being more important that health and safety. Remember seeing those picture of the guys building the empire state building, straddling steel pipes being held up by cranes high above street level without any safety gear on at all? Amazingly only 1 person fell of the scafolding.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Maybe it’s a US thing of efficiency and time/money saving being more important that health and safety

that may have been true in the 20s but nowadays the US is a nightmare for H&S thanks to the culture of litigation. Unless you are mexican or poor…….

bigdawg
    Free Member

Surprised they’re allowed to not be clipped in.

theyre not – Im sure I read he was sacked for not clipping in…

molgrips
    Free Member

Amazingly only 1 person fell of the scafolding

One too many innit.

GrahamS

One too many innit.

Not really.

I mean yes, obviously it was a tragedy for his family and friends.

But you just can’t reduce all risks to zero. You have to draw a pragmatic line somewhere and on a risk-to-population level, one death doesn’t really register.

Lightning kills around 50-70 people per year in the States and most of them will be ordinary folk just going about their day – not someone who is obviously engaged in a high risk activity.

dogbert
    Free Member

that made me feel genuinely queezy. I’ve got slight vertigo, but that’s my idea of a nightmare.

molgrips
    Free Member

But you just can’t reduce all risks to zero

No of course not (that’s not what I’m suggesting) but you can make them as low as possible.

Safety harness would probably have saved the guy’s life. So a good thing. It may have cost slightly more to build the building, but how much is a man’s life worth?

You have to draw a pragmatic line somewhere and on a risk-to-population level, one death doesn’t really register.

Got to wave the woolly thinking flag here I’m afraid. The important ratio is risk to inconvenience. Having everyone wrapped up in cotton wool all the time or being restricted to driving 5mph for example is very inconvenient. However being roped up when building a skyscraper is not that inconvenient in the grand scheme of things and has huge benefits when it comes to stopping people plummeting to their deaths.

One person dying from something *very easily* prevented is too many regardless of how many people were involved.

geminafantasy
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm7TLwFIh2c[/video]

Music is amazing too 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘That You Tube clip of the guy climbing the HUGE mast’ is closed to new replies.