Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • That weird light…
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Just drew my bedroom curtains and noticed a strange blue/white* light. I looked out, thinking it couldn't be the moon, and sure enough it was the street lights which had always been orange previously 🙂

*all colour names are approximate

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I just sat down on a chair.

It creaked.

Someone coughed in the other room.

Echoing down the corridor.

A swift parrot on the eucalyptus outside.

It must be springtime.

shoefiti
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member
    Just drew my bedroom curtains and noticed a strange blue/white* light. I looked out, thinking it couldn't be the moon, and sure enough it was the street lights which had always been orange previously

Simon, sometimes you don't need to share with the group, you can just sit there and listen.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I saw the workmen today, and they told me that the new bulbs are not mercury lamps as I'd supposed but LEDs, using only half the power of the old ones and I expect with much longer lifetimes. I suppose non photographers may not be interested 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I suppose non photographers[i]almost everyone[/i] may not be interested

😉

miketually
    Free Member

We've got the new white streetlights. Much nicer than the orange ones.

I'm interested 🙂

warton
    Free Member

i bet the workmen loved that little chat…

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I wish we didn't have any at all.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I wish we didn't have any at all.

you're right, we'd save a packet and every nighttime trip would be an adventure :o)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Specially if you're a woman on your own.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I suppose non photographersalmost everyone may not be interested

well, I wouldn't presume to decide that for everyone else :o) It certainly does look spookily like moonlight instead of the former toxic orange…

Olly
    Free Member

dislike white light myself.

but good for street lights.
    low low low drain can only be a good thing on lights in that situation.

location needs lights, but no one wants to be there, so it doesnt have to be nice light, just light.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Prehaps with them Being LED's they can be motion sensitive… although that might be a tad annoying for local residence!

I second no lights at all, with regards to Women walking on their own, if its dark how will people know….

I can hear someone talking on the other side of the building, and I can hear my keys tap away as I type this…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

with regards to Women walking on their own, if its dark how will people know

Yes of course, I hadn't thought of that. If it's dark, no one will be able to see anything at all.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Indeed however I feel for the poor snails when it rains! Crunch Crunch Crunch….

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Yes of course, I hadn't thought of that. If it's dark, no one will be able to see anything at all

beware the Ninja girls!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I feel for the poor snails when it rains!

I always involuntarily say "sorry" when I hear the crunch of a snail beneath my shoe, as I walk up to my front door on a dark wet night.

The stupidity of it all, really annoys me. But I can't help myself – I guess I was just brought up to be very polite/considerate 😐

GrahamS

beware the Ninja girls!

Or, y'know, rapists with torches.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Well just ban torches!

And glad I'm not alone feeling sorry for the fallen snails!

nickc

I always involuntarily say "sorry" when I hear the crunch of a snail

Not just me then…that's a relief

robgarrioch

Nowt worse than snail-guilt is there, really brings your evening down. Poor sods.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've not done much snail-tromping, and I dodge slugs on the trail…

robgarrioch

(Is this a candidate for 'most surreal thread twist of the year'?)

higgo
    Free Member

I'm going to put this empty coke can in the bin and go home.

Anna-B
    Free Member

I trod on snails once in the dark in barefeet. I always rescue worms that have ended up gritty and panicking in the middle of the pavement.

What a lovely heart warming thread this has turned out to be Simon 😉

samuri
    Free Member

Yesterday morning I rode to work and where possible I turned my lights off. Most of my commute is actually offroad so that's quite some distance in the very dark. One on particular section on the way back, noticed the path was covered in dog turds but I had amazingly managed to miss them all. I'll be using my lights on that section next time. (Unless of course, dogs had been very busy after I'd ridden to work)

Junkyard
    Free Member

I once found a live worm in the mud on my bike when I cleaned it

miketually
    Free Member

I pick snails up off the path. And then throw them to our chickens.

sharki
    Free Member

Whilst out yesterday evening, i looked back down to the vale of Bilgewater and could be a strange green cloud, low in the horizon almost following the M5 north bound.

Not sure if this picture captures it cuz my monitor is playing up.

can-uk
    Free Member

I like this forum.. because you are all freaks and you amuse me (mostly because we share a similar sense of humour)

zokes
    Free Member

The snails in my garden are double-hard barstewards who managed to eat all my rhubarb this year. Straight through the stems at the base!

I show them no mercy now…

belgianbob

I'm interested as well (but I am a photographer and a lighting nut in general).
    Where are these new LED lights being fitted, SFB?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Where are these new LED lights being fitted, SFB?

in Lancaster. I'll post a few pics in a minute…

belgianbob

Nice, ta.
    I was looking at LED replacements for Fluorescent tubes last week. I'm trying to get the co. that makes them to hire me to do their brochure, but I'd love to try light painting with in the studio, using a couple of them as 'wands'.

crazy-legs

The streetlight outside my house died the other night. I like that cos it's proper dark and I don't get annoying light through my curtains. Also it was funny listening to the stupid bint next door attempt to park her car the following morning about 6.30am when it was still pitch dark. She must have been to-ing and fro-ing for 5 minutes with her parents yelling instructions to her! 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

user-removed
    Free Member

I recently stood on a slug on our patio, in stockinged feet. Vile. Also, the slime just does not wash off your hands – loads of soap and very hot water made no difference.

IdleJon

The snails in my garden are double-hard barstewards who managed to eat all my rhubarb this year.

Anything that eats rhubarb is double-hard IMO. Horrible stringy stuff surrounded by 'instant' custard, yeurch, bad memories.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

My daughter Ro used to like to forage for strawberries in the garden when she was 1. One day I found her sucking something, and when I pulled her hand away from her mouth I found it was a slug she'd been contentedly browsing on! The mucus was welded to her hand so strongly I had to scrape it off with the back of a table knife 🙁 Yek! Needles to say she wasn't happy about losing her snack :o)

I wish I'd had the presence of mind to take a shot to embarrass her with :o)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I had a pet Roman snail when I was a kid. One day whilst he was having his daily walk round the garden I popped indoors for just a minute, when I came out, the bugger had legged it – never saw him again 😐

Yep…..snails can make great pets :

Although obviously you can't teach them to fetch a stick 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘That weird light…’ is closed to new replies.