Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • That was damn close!
  • curtisthecat
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother, the police pretty much do what they want with little or no consequences IMO

DezB
    Free Member

Did a little bit of wee come out while you were riding along?

No, my middle finger came out though 🙂

warton
    Free Member

No, my middle finger came out though

why on earth were you riding with your finger up your willy? not only is it unhygienic, but you have reduced braking capacity.

allthepies
    Free Member

dez, is the camera on a bar mount ?

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

curtisthecat – Member
    I wouldn’t bother, the police pretty much do what they want with little or no consequences IMO

I used to work for a police force and was often asked to identify police vehicles from GPS logs for investigations into poor driving standards reported by the general public. So they did look into them, not sure about the consequences though!

DezB
    Free Member

dez, is the camera on a bar mount ?

Yep, that is for why I referred to it as a “bar-cam” 😉

alpin
    Free Member

For added effect the OP skills have dived and rolled onto the grass verge and then sent it in to the cop shop….

pictonroad

I’d be grateful if most drivers gave me that much room tbh…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Is the Police driver at least 2 seconds behind the vehicle in front as per the Highway Code?

If not, perhaps the Police driver has suffered a catastrophic vehicle related failure…I mean, what other explanation could there possibly be?

ChrisHeath

So have they responded to your tweet then?

DezB
    Free Member

Nah! They’re scared

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Nah! They’re scared

Either that or they are hiding outside of your house, Tazers at the ready!

hopefiendboy

What camera was that you were using? Thinking of getting one for just this sort of thing…

DezB
    Free Member

That was a cheapo Ebay one with a light built in. Usually use the 7dayshop one, but its broked.

7dayshop ones are like this

the one I was using for that vid is this – one thing is better (apart from having a light for emergencies), it keeps the correct date info, whereas the 7 dayshop ones don’t. Video quality not quite as good on the little light one though.

longj
    Free Member

What is it with drivers giving too much room? I’m not a horse I’m not going to bolt if a car gets within 2 metres of me. Then there are the ones that give room but forget about the traffic coming the other way.

GrahamS

What is it with drivers giving too much room? I’m not a horse I’m not going to bolt if a car gets within 2 metres of me.

Too much room?? 😕

Perhaps they were following the Highway Code?

Or the advice of safe driving organisations:
    “Allow at least two metres’ (two yards’) clearance when passing cyclists – a court case some years ago laid down the principle that a cyclist is entitled to wobble!”

Several states in the US have laws in place that make it illegal to pass closer than 1 metre / 3 feet. That seems a sensible amount.

US Campaign: http://www.3feetplease.com

UK Version: http://3feetplease.org.uk/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What is it with drivers giving too much room? I’m not a horse I’m not going to bolt if a car gets within 2 metres of me. Then there are the ones that give room but forget about the traffic coming the other way.

😀

Apart from the rules of the road and common sense, bikes can move die to potholes etc

teasel
    Free Member

bikes can move die to potholes

I don’t know what it is about that statement but it comes across as slightly Welsh for some reason…

longj
    Free Member

About 1 metre is ok if they literally use the whole opposite lane I wonder if they think I’m pissed or something.

GrahamS

Hmmm.. I always try to use the whole opposite lane when I pass bikes – partly because that’s how I like to be passed; partly because it sets a good example to other drivers who may pass a bit closer; and partly because I believe that is what the vague wording of Rule 163 is supposed to (or should) mean.

Generally I think giving a cyclist enough room that they can fall over sideways without going under my wheels is a pretty good plan.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

About 1 metre is ok if they literally use the whole opposite lane I wonder if they think I’m pissed or something.

You can’t pass a cyclist safely on most roads unless your break the white line in the middle.
    Crossing the white line is something you think (or should do) about more so you may make an extra check of oncoming traffic etc. rather than get halfway and squash the cyclist.
    I wont squeeze past a cyclist and will only pass if the other lane is clear.
    Hence I might as well use all the space there is not crowd the cyclist or make him inhale more of my exhaust fumes as I accelerate.
    I also have no problem with cyclists riding 2 abreast as you still need a clear lane coming the other way to pass them.

Spongebob
    Free Member

If you ride on the road, expect your personal safety to be seriously compromised – think singletrack!

muckytee
    Free Member

Did you not see BMW badge…

*runs*

longj
    Free Member

Generally I think giving a cyclist enough room that they can fall over sideways without going under my wheels is a pretty good plan.

I have genuinely never seen a cyclist going forward at a speed more than say 5 mph and simply flop over sideways. Is that even possible?

GrahamS

If you ride on the road, expect your personal safety to be seriously compromised – think singletrack!

That makes me sad face 🙁

Not everyone is lucky enough to have traffic-free singletrack leading every where they want to go on a bike (e.g. work, shops, pub)

Nor should we just accept that if we ride on the road then it is somehow our own fault if drivers behave like idiots.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

longj – Member
    I have genuinely never seen a cyclist going forward at a speed more than say 5 mph and simply flop over sideways. Is that even possible?

Either a troll or……

Right then how to fall off a bike, punture, chain stuck/break/slip, catch wheel in something, big gust of wind, heart attack, animal runs into road, sh*t happened.

Give decent room. If your not breaking the white line your not overtaking a cyclist properly. This means you have considered the overtake and the potential of another car coming the other way or the cyclist doing something unpredictable. Other wise you risk cutting in on the cyclist mid overtake as a car comes round the corner killing said cyclist.

In more simple terms if a car hits a cyclist it ends up worse for the cyclist. Give more room it doesn’t cost you anything.

DezB
    Free Member

I find that “I am Traffic” poster pretty insulting.
    “I will ride in one position no matter what the type of road, traffic conditions etc cos I can’t think and adjust my position accordingly”

NOT ALL ROADS ARE THE SAME.

(eg. if I’d been moronically stuck in the middle of the carriageway when bobby copper on the video was coming towards me… )

GrahamS

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZqwhpxIKpk[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtXgm5THNAQ[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtSwmLWCRjU[/video]

Now you have. As mike says, shaft happens.

Is it really so much trouble to turn the steering wheel just a little bit more and pass with plenty of room?

“I will ride in one position no matter what the type of road, traffic conditions etc cos I can’t think and adjust my position accordingly”

I don’t think that is what it is saying at all. It’s just a (not very good) attempt to explain the point of taking the Primary to (American) drivers.

stanfree
    Free Member

He made a ‘Gareth Hunt’ of It , unintentionally I think. I wouldn’t pursue It.

Northwind

longj – Member

What is it with drivers giving too much room? I’m not a horse I’m not going to bolt if a car gets within 2 metres of me.

You might not but some folks need more space. I leave all the space I can especially if there’s someone else behind- lots of folks pass too close, who knows, maybe they’ll think “That guy’s given loads of room, maybe I should too”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s more aimed at drivers and possibly longi. The sentiment is good as an attempt to explain why a cyclist isn’t running over drain covers and bobbling down the gutter. The narrower the road the further out I get, it also gives me somewhere to go when the car does something stupid (like in your video Dez)

longj
    Free Member

I am not talking about white line breakers I’m talking about cars that break the white line with both wheels. It’s simply not necessary. And this has been the cause of one or two near misses on my commute where the car has failed to return to the left side of the road in time, narrowly missing a car coming the other way.

GrahamS

?? Are you saying that by giving you more room these cars have somehow put you in more danger longj??

And yes I cross right over into the other lane, both wheels over the line (assuming it is a dashed line of course!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And this has been the cause of one or two near misses on my commute where the car has failed to return to the left side of the road in time, narrowly missing a car coming the other way.

So a car didn’t leave enough room/time to overtake. Seems to be an issue with judging distance/speed rather than the amount they moved over. My biggest fear on the road is a half hearted over take where the car realises they are running out of time/space and then cutting into a cyclist. If they can’t judge the time and distance correctly then I’d rather they left me more room than not.

Northwind

GrahamS – Member

?? Are you saying that by giving you more room these cars have somehow put you in more danger longj??

He’s saying that sometimes drivers pull right over to pass him even when there’s oncoming traffic. And seems to think that’s a problem with the amount of space they gave him, rather than what it actually is- passing dangerously when you shouldn’t be passing at all.

Which is why I’m suspecting it’s a troll because you’d have to work pretty hard to be this daft. Knitting needles up the nose, that sort of thing.

GrahamS

Tend to agree Northwind. If not a troll then certainly misguided.

As mike says, if folk are going to pass me where they shouldn’t then I’d much rather they gave me plenty of room when they do it!

longj
    Free Member

I take it you have never riden in rush hour traffic. It’s simply not possible to give that amount of room. If all drivers waited until there was space in the opposite lane then there would be a very slow moving traffic from my house to my work. As far cars not pulling in in time, my perception of the situation is that if they had given say 1.5 metres room, they would easily have been out of the way of on coming traffic. I’m not a troll just someone used to riding in busy traffic. We don’t all live in deserted country lanes you know.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

thats fine, ridden in all sorts of roads all over the place, drive there too. I’ll still give cyclists sensible room. My usual examples of rush hour traffic is a long queue from my door to where I work with cyclists making the best progress.

GrahamS

It’s simply not possible to give that amount of room. If all drivers waited until there was space in the opposite lane then there would be a very slow moving traffic

Boo hoo! Let me fetch my tiny violin. 😀

Safety > Convenience

If there isn’t room to pass safely then the correct answer is not “just pass unsafely then”

Conversely if I found I was holding up a line of cars behind me for any length of time then I’d probably pull off the road for a moment and let them past as a courtesy (and to avoid having drivers getting impatient at my rear wheel).

Give and take.

We don’t all live in deserted country lanes you know.

20 car queue today, crawling along behind two tractors.
    If it had been bikes then there would have been horns blaring and fists waving.

Sandwich

I have genuinely never seen a cyclist going forward at a speed more than say 5 mph and simply flop over sideways.

Have a trawl of RoadCC for the cyclist in London that was run over by a bus following him too close when a car occupant opened his door on him. CPS prosecuted only one of those at fault, the bus driver was allowed to kill a cyclist with impunity.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘That was damn close!’ is closed to new replies.