Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • That was bizarre! (29 / 26 content)
  • ononeorange

Despite having been quite an “anti” when it comes to 29ers, I bought one anyway last month. I have ridden it exclusively for a couple of hundred miles. Anyhow, today I rode my beloved Soul again and it felt so weird for the first half an hour. I felt like I was on shopping trolley wheels and it seemed so skittish.

So weird to feel that, I can’t believe that my Soul could fell odd, but that’s the plus of having both I suppose. I soon got back into the swing of it, it jumps and turns much better, but I sense the 29er is faster overall.

That is all. Just saying. Neither one is betterer to me.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I took the bmx to the pump track for the first time in about a year this morning……after 29’s it’s REALLY weird 😯

fizzicist
    Free Member

I was the same. Also have a much loved, much battered soul.

Bought a Cube Reaction 29er.

Big day out on it in the dales today. It’s WAY faster than the soul. I also landed a jump wrong, which on any other bike I have ridden would have resulted in a colossal endo at about 30mph.

On the 29er I had a longer than desired moment with the rear wheel in the air.

Soul felt very odd indeed when I got home.

pussywillow
    Free Member

So weird to feel that, I can’t believe that my Soul could fell odd, but that’s the plus of having both I suppose. I soon got back into the swing of it, it jumps and turns much better, but I sense the 29er is faster overall.

You sense the 29er is faster and that is all it is…a sense.
    Basically as the wheels are bigger, this creates the feeling of rolling faster as the sense of the wheel being closer to your eyes creates ground to look further away, thus having a feeling of being higher too.

A 26″ bike will always generate more speed, ie, pumping down over technical terrain rather than just hitting it all with the big side shows.

Rorschach
    Free Member

GO AWAY>

Toasty

A 26″ bike will always generate more speed

Well there you have it folks. 😆

You’re purely sensing it, and that’s all it is…a sense.

Basically it’s an optical illusion, the smaller wheels rotate faster to cover the same ground, thus giving the appearance of the bike traveling faster. I think I speak for everyone when I say that I mainly look at my wheels to gauge how fast I’m going.

A 29er will always generate more speed, ie, rolling down a rocky trail, less speed is lost through impacts as the wheels will take a smoother path.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

You want your 26er to feel really strange, get a fat bike, ride that for two weeks, then go back to the 26. Feels like pedalling a toy bike till you land the first jump and realise you were in the air twice as long as the last time.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Basically as the wheels are bigger, this creates the feeling of rolling faster as the sense of the wheel being closer to your eyes creates ground to look further away, thus having a feeling of being higher too.

errrr what? sensation of speed is related to proximity to the ground.

The top of the wheel on a 29er is the same distance from my eyes as a 26er.

Being a geek, I relied on a combination of a heart rate monitor, a back to back test between bikes on the same trail.

The 29er is MUCH faster for the same effort. (1.8mph for the same calorific loss & Average heart rate on identical trails on the same day. Rode the 26er first)

The 26er changes direction faster, is easier to leap around on and to be honest, a bit more entertaining. For covering ground very rapidly and securely, the 29er is better. If I’m racing, it’s on the 29er. If I’m cocking around at a trail centre, the 26er.

JCL
    Free Member

Come and ride our trails pussywimp. You won’t be doing a lot of pumping when your hanging your ass off the back after 10 mins of rowdy as **** chunder! 29″ smash 26″ for real trail riding. If you find they don’t your trails are 5 degree tame ass rivers of loam.

Squidlord
    Free Member

And so it starts. Gentlemen, choose your weapon:

freeridenick
    Free Member

superb

come on JCL, tell him where you live cos I know it ain’t Swinley. 😆

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Eh pussywillow? Are you posting in parody? What do you mean by the smilies? They seem extremely odd.

bwaarp
    Free Member

You sense the 29er is faster and that is all it is…a sense.

A 26″ bike will always generate more speed, ie, pumping down over technical terrain rather than just hitting it all with the big side shows.

Pussywillow is a troll and a bad one. :mrgreen: 😛

kayak23

Different bike feels different shocker…

mattjg
    Free Member

Oh dear another typical stw rider!

If you dislike the typical STW rider so much (which by definition is what you’re going to find here), why do you post here? Find another forum with a population of the kind of people you want to talk to.

takisawa2

My 26″ FS felt possitively dangerous, all twitchy & nervous compared, to my rigid 29er. First time on a 26″ in a year though, but soon get used to it again. Agree with the OP, it’s funny how two bikes can feel so different. If had to ride a single bike forever it would be the 29er. Be intrested to see how a 650b would feel.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

After 2 yrs of finding 29ers I jumped on my mates 26″ Yeti 575 the other day. The bike is near as makes no different the same as my Covert 29 in terms of size and geo apart from the wheel size – both 140mm travel, both similar if not same geometry, both bikes set up the same as we’re the same height. I took it down a familiar really rocky technical descent, so sections where you have to slow a bit to pick your way round big boulders, some medium sized boulders you can grit your teeth and ride over, and some faster flowing berms sections.

It did feel weird jumping on the 26er and though the bike rode fine, the ride was much rougher. On my 29 er I feel I could go faster over the course if my balls were a bit bigger, on the 26er I feel I couldn’t have hustled the bike much quicker at all even if I had the skills. In just felt more unsettled, more knarly and more on the edge. Great fun though, I also didn’t really feel any benefit to the smaller wheels in the slower technical sections that demanded more maneuverability, the 29er is just as maneuverable.

Go, on, far from an objective and definitive test, more of a seat of the pants feel, but I ‘m happy with my 29ers. Not dissing 26ers, my mates Yeti s a great bike. I struggle to see what the fuss is about. Are you really going to change your perfectly good 26er for another bike purely and solely for wheel size?

You get this in alot of sports. New kit comes along, people initially reject it, but over time people adapt, the kit evolves and before you know it the sport has progressed as people start doing things that were previously thought of as impossible. There is an element of adaptation that is needed and an adjustment of technique. There is nowhere for 26 inch wheeled bikes to go. They’ve reached the end of their development. The sport needs a change to enable further development. But for the recreational rider, it doesn’t really matter. Ride what you’ve got and enjoy it.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I sense that if my legs aren’t working then NO bike is going to be very fast…… 😆

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘That was bizarre! (29 / 26 content)’ is closed to new replies.