Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • That tube thing between the bearings on a hope pro 2 front hub
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Will I die if I forgot to put it back in when I pressed the new bearings in?

Don’t want to ruin a new bearing having to remove one to put the tube back in.

Was thinking of riding till new ones go rough then refitting?

grenosteve
    Free Member

No, you wont die.

The bearing will die sharpish though…..

mrjmt
    Free Member

sharpish as in mid first ride or as in a months time?

(if its possible to tell)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

That tube supports the inner races of the bearings so that when you do up your wheel retention they have nowhere to go.

Without the tube you are allowing the inner races to move just a little inwards relative to the outer races which will cause premature wear.

isitafox
    Free Member

It’s only a 5 minute job to put it back in so you may as well do it rather than risk killing your bearings.

jota180
    Free Member

It only takes a couple of minutes to take one bearing out and re-assemble
    make sure you drift it out with the force on the outer race.

mrjmt
    Free Member

make sure you drift it out with the force on the outer race

Thats the bit where I struggle, not sure if you can get to the outer race once they’re pressed in? Isn’t there a lip on the hub to stop the bearing going any further in when you press them in?

jota180
    Free Member

Not sure as I don’t have those hubs but as you’ve just put then in, it should breeze out

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

PUT IT BACK IN!

I bought some 2nd hand hope wheels and the tube was missing. When you clamp the wheel in the fork dropouts, the inner surface of the bearings gets forced through the hub.

My bearings completely collapsed, the inner/outer bearing surfaces seperated, and it took AGES to get the outer surface of the bearing out of the hub.

Sandwich

New bearing,SKF is £4 at a local bearing factor.

mrjmt
    Free Member

PUT IT BACK IN!

I bought some 2nd hand hope wheels and the tube was missing. When you clamp the wheel in the fork dropouts, the inner surface of the bearings gets forced through the hub.

My bearings completely collapsed, the inner/outer bearing surfaces seperated, and it took AGES to get the outer surface of the bearing out of the hub.

All I can think of now is the poor bearings sat in the hub being squeezed together, straining with the force. I’ll stick the tube back in tonight.

I’ll drop into LBS on the way home and pick up a couple of spares incase I kill one taking it out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘That tube thing between the bearings on a hope pro 2 front hub’ is closed to new replies.