Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 463 total)
  • That time of year is coming again – what's hot in the lighting world?
  • Bregante

Nah..

Defo a Japanese truck driver

the_lecht_rocks

lol @ womp – WTF ?????? 😮

i think you have won ! 😆

Northwind

@theartist, I had one of those a while back but it was a bit of a fail, on full power it only drove 2 of the LEDs. Shame as it was a decent seeming unit otherwise and the beam pattern was better than the solarstorm, but changing drivers etc is beyond me.

Ah well, will see. It’s only £24, so will find a use for it if it’s no good for the bike

Northwind

Wouldn’t say it was no use- it’s a bit bulkier than the solarstorm but did the same job otherwise, slightly better. Was just a bit disappointing. And weird frankly!

eviljoe
    Free Member

Anyone know if it is possible to disable the flashing mode on standard Chinese lights?

Trouty told me how on his units, wander if it is a similar method with these?

tod456
    Free Member

snownrock, can you recomend any batteries and case, for anywhere there in stock? I’ve order both light you recomended, so thanks 🙂

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Evening guys,

I’ve done a ton of research on a decent 18650 charger and this is the best i’ve found, (after having a failing nitecore i4 and the efect luc being ominous about firmware version for sale)

One of the best reviews i’ve read on candlepower forums so far…

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?385459-Test-Review-of-Charger-Xtar-VP2

Bought mine from…

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/batteries-and-chargers/xtar-vp2-dual-bay-lithium-ion-battery-charger.html

Has a volt reading too which is really handy!

The 4 bay versions take up to 10 hours to charge all four cells, so i’ve gone with the above and can charge a pair after work work and the other pair the next. Or even take it in the office and swap pairs at dinner. A battery box with x4 of these on medium can do a 2-3 rides!

Batteries i’ve got from Torchy the battery boy, and if you go via ukvapes you can get a pair of 3400mah Panasonic for £16.99

http://ukvapers.org/Thread-Torchy-battery-prices

The batteries are unprotected but they fit better in the solarstorm box, and the SSX2 gives plenty of warning when a battery is getting low, 3 LEDS, and then a flashing LED, along with dimming light lol

Be wary of all the fake 18650 on the market

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/18650-batteries-chargers.html

fathomer

Has anyone got any decent suggestions for a cheaper Joystick equivalent? I guess a torch is what I’m looking for, something easily mountable and not to weighty.

It’ll be paired with a Lumenator on the bars; I’m finding the trailing wires really irritating this year.

nealy
    Free Member

Has anyone got any decent suggestions for a cheaper Joystick equivalent? I guess a torch is what I’m looking for, something easily mountable and not to weighty.

It’ll be paired with a Lumenator on the bars; I’m finding the trailing wires really irritating this year.

5 mode http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023726

or 1 mode http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023724

They also do orange peel reflectors although the new XP-L LEDs are meant to have less of a hot spot and a more even beam so a smooth reflector should work well on your lid. I just use double sided velcro through a couple of lid vents to mount them. Obviously you need 18650 cells and charger

richardthird

^ I’ve got one of those and it fits in the Exposure helmet mount. Still a tad heavy though on yer head imo. Fine on the bars of course.

nealy
    Free Member

^ I had 2 of them (with T6 LED) mounted on the top of my lid which made my lid move about a fair bit, got one either side now and it’s much more balanced so lid doesn’t move and can’t really feel the extra weight plus I can pretend I’m in Orbital. Also I don’t think it’s a good idea mounting lights etc on the very top of your lid as if you go over the bars and land head first it greatly reduces how well the lid can absorb the impact risking neck and back compression injuries.

stumpy01

fathomer – Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/moon-x-power-550-front-light/

Perhaps?

@theartist, I had one of those a while back but it was a bit of a fail, on full power it only drove 2 of the LEDs. Shame as it was a decent seeming unit otherwise and the beam pattern was better than the solarstorm, but changing drivers etc is beyond me.

Either they’ve changed em, or you had a duffer mate. Tried it tonight and all three on full power. Nice bright spread – works well with a spot on my helmet. Will report back on battery quality – the usual, non-waterproof offering, but I’ve taped it up well.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

What’s the opinion on helmet v bar mounted? I’ve not done any night riding for years but need to get sorted for something this year.

I’m looking at the new Exposure ones and want a single light set up, either the Equinox which is helmet mount and pumps out 2000 lumens, or a bar mounted Toro giving 1800. The light comparison on the Exposure site is not working and as these models have been upgraded, not sure how useful the beam comparisons on other sites are.

If I went bar mounted I do have an old 200 lumen Fenix torch I could stick on my head if necessary.

bentudder

Both is helpful, in my experience – nice floody one on the bars and a spot on the noggin. A helmet light is really helpful for seeing where you need to go rather than just where the bars are pointing.

I’d suggest getting a good bar light – I find a head mounted X2 is perfectly usable, especially if you sort a lower profile mount.

muggomagic

Anyone given one of these a try. Thinking I could knock up a bracket for the bars fairly easily.

Ultrafire torch

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@tenacious Doug a single Solar Storm X2 on the handle bars is really enough (or on the helmet if you prefer)

There are some shots in here, and although taken on camera phone are on par with what you see on the trail…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/solar-storm-x2-cree-xm-l-t6-hope-vision-4-fenix-l2d-rebel-roundup

zippykona

Muggo I’ve just ordered one so will let you know in a month. As for a mount cut one of these down and cable tie it to it.

nickjb
    Free Member

What Cruzcampo said. A solar storm on the bars is plenty. Great bit of kit for the money.

muggomagic

I might order one too. Hardly going to break the bank and if it’s no good for biking it’ll be a good camping torch.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@WOMP so how are those XT40’s then? Any chance to do a review?

brian2
    Free Member

New Exposure Joystick Mk9. 750 lumens, lighter than Mk8, charges faster.
    Lovely bit of kit with superb Exposure back up, if you ever need it.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

£140 though??

brian2
    Free Member

Bit less through a really friendly LBS. Bike7 at Longtown, Cumbria. Well worth it. The helmet mount is superb; as is the bar mount, simple and secure. The light is programmable also; tho’ I’ve yet to work it out!

Junkyard
    Free Member

cruzcampo OT Is the last canal pic of yours taken going towards Fredericks?
    Looks very similar

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Peak forest canal, is that near Fredericks junkyard?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nope a long long way away but it looks very very similar
    Will try and do a pick after a night ride

iainc

Just popped a hardly used mk7 Joystick on the classifieds 😛

harrytoo
    Free Member

anyone got a link to a decent 4 x 18650 battery box, the one posted earlier no longer works.

ta.

motivforz
    Free Member

Just a word of warning re the solar storms. Bought a set from eBay, colouring not as described (no big deal seeing as it’s going to be used in the dark), battery life very poor, and not entirely waterproof. Plus the emf radiation knocked out my cycle computer interestingly, not when switched off but only when switched on. Hope vision 2 in the same location on the bars, no problem.

Decided the lights weren’t for me, eBay refund requested, seller agreed to pay return postage as good faulty and required by DSR and sale of goods, then didn’t, apparently forgot about agreeing ( message history in the email itself!) , then didn’t respond further leaving me out of pocket. Finally I contacted eBay and they refunded the return postage and will charge it to the seller, so sorted for me.

Just a word of warning, still reasonably good value for money, but the lights weren’t for me.

BillOddie

I took delivery of a set of these today.

Seem good quality. Currently on charge. House not currently on fire.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@BillOddie,

i’m not so sure about those

“This is the upgraded version of the Best Seller Bicycle Light SolarStorm X2”

No Solar Storm branding, cooling won’t be as good as no heatsink style fins, the phillips screws are just untidy/cheap and even look a bit burred, just doesnt look as finished as the SSX2.

The logo on the left and right differs suggesting two different reflectors?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@motivforz sounds like a fake, of which there are many. Genuine SSX2 come in a proper coloured box, don’t have phillips screw heads, have a “TM” after the logo not a “R”, very clean silver bevelling around the lights, a firm press clicky switch, etc.

madeupname
    Free Member

motivforz – Member
    Just a word of warning re the solar storms. Bought a set from eBay, colouring not as described (no big deal seeing as it’s going to be used in the dark), battery life very poor, and not entirely waterproof. Plus the emf radiation knocked out my cycle computer interestingly, not when switched off but only when switched on.

Decided the lights weren’t for me, eBay refund requested, seller agreed to pay return postage as good faulty and required by DSR and sale of goods, then didn’t, apparently forgot about agreeing ( message history in the email itself!) , then didn’t respond further leaving me out of pocket. Finally I contacted eBay and they refunded the return postage and will charge it to the seller, so sorted for me.

So which ebay seller were they from? Looking at buying a set, and would like to know who to avoid!

Thanks

madeupname
    Free Member

cruzcampo – Member

@motivforz
    sounds like a fake, of which there are many. Genuine SSX2 come in a proper coloured box, don’t have phillips screw heads, have a “TM” after the logo not a “R”, very clean silver bevelling around the lights, a firm press clicky switch,

As above, looking to buy a set of these, any suggestions where I am likely to get a ‘real’ set from? Don’t want to order and then send back if fake…

Thanks

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@madeuphanme,

use this link to compare to ebay images, geniune pics, and also my pointers above…

http://www.solarstorm.hk/productview.asp?id=23&classid=006

madeupname
    Free Member

@cruzcampo

Thanks for that.

It’ll help, and I guess will weed out the ebayers with wrong or mixed design photos…. But I am sure some just copy the photos from the SolarStorm website, and then send you a vaguely similar product!

I guess that’s the fun of buying from overseas on Ebay…

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I usually buy mine from fasttech, who have there own HQ pics, which show all the genuine traits too, “TM” , none phillips screws, proper black and red box

http://www.fasttech.com/product/1285800-solarstorm-x2-cree-xm-l-u2-4-mode-2000-lumen-led

I’m not sure if they sell the light by itself though if you plan to use your own battery box.

EDIT. now this is interesting they sell a cheaper version which you can see the fake traits! even the silver bevel around the lights looks nasty! take a look, no box included too etc..

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003977/1502001-solarstorm-x2-l2-2-cree-xm-l2-t6-4-mode-2000lm

My mate bought two X3’s recently and the rubbish one has the same design traits as that last link.

iainc

I bought the solarstorm from the original BillOddie link on the 2nd or 3rd page. They have R rather than TM. The charger got silly hot so I binned it and am using a uk one that cost a tenner. Not used them in earnest yet as prefer my Exposure setup but will give them a go on a wet ride soon 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 463 total)

The topic ‘That time of year is coming again – what's hot in the lighting world?’ is closed to new replies.