Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • That there London help required. Please!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Looks like we’re going to queen Elizabeth park for the hard rock calling gig. I’ve no idea where to stay? We’ll be driving down from Derbyshire, don’t mind ditching the car early and getting on the tube. Where should we be looking for a hotel? I presume as it was the Olympic venue it has great tube links back into central London? Help please.

Andy_B

Grange St Pauls would be my shout. You should be able to get a deal for under £140 on last minute which for a 5 star in London is good.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Yep. Great location and nice place.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unless you have a really good reason to drive just get the train all the way.

totalshell

just completed the sorting out for the anniversary games.. tickets for games bought months ago.. thanks to the STW help we found a hotel less than 2k from the stadium

just last night though we did the travel arrangements..

the aa calculate that by car the journey is 4.5 hrs and a 82 quid cost in diesel. add in congestion charging and off street parking for three days and the figure is close to 200 quid..

so how much to get 5 folk ( 3 adults- 2 kids) on the train?

we live 200 yds from a station on the transpennine route..

so from there to kings x its a 3 hour journey via leeds. 30 mins longer via manchester and we have to walk to change trains

first quoted price 470 all in.. next website national rail line quotes 270 for same tickets.. that sounds like the one so ‘buy now’ and bingo!

transfers to east coast page and price is now only 169.. RESULT.. pennines to kings X and return for 5 at less than travelling by car and its an hour quicker and i dont have to drive..

wrightyson
    Free Member

That’s great ts but bugger all help to me 😉
    Train back to derby won’t run late enough so a hotel is the only option!

TPTcruiser

Stratford must be tooled up with hotels post-Olympics?
    http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/522/London-Stratford-hotel
    Why go elsewhere? No congestion charge this far out, some likelihood of secure parking and a route out to the M11 and northwards.
    Why spend up west?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nope all booked up in and around stratford.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Look further out. Stratford is on the main train line to Norwich and other places. Try the areas around the main stations east from Stratford

stayhigh

13:25 National Express from Derby Bus Station arrives London Victoria Coach Station at 17:10 (£7/adult)

23:30 National Express London Victoria Coach Station arrives Derby Bus Station at 02:45 (£9/adult)

The first coach the on the 30th is at 07:30 so you could stay somewhere near Victoria and get that if you didnt fancy the last coach.

I took my son to Download using NE up to Derby and was very pleasantly surprised at how nice they were compared to when I last used them in the 90’s. Clean, comfortable and plug sockets on the back of the seats in front of you. The travel time is a bit of a hag but for less then a score you cant complain.

The underground to Stratford from Vic I’m not so sure about, I’m guessing at £4-6.50/adult return.

HTH 🙂

Andy_B

I think Mike is suggesting that getting the train might be a more pleasant option than driving but you would still need the hotel. Getting to St Pancras on departure day is a whole lot nicer than tubing it out to the edge of London. You might get lucky with a group deal and make it same price as driving. This means extended boozing / recovery. Regarding the hotel, what are you actually looking for? Right next to the venue, rock bottom pricing or just somewhere decent?
    I can’t imagine wanting to stay in the Stratford area if I was visiting London not that there’s any reason not to.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Not really bothered where we stay. So longs as we can get a tube back to wherever before they stop running. Only the two of us and would like to be there for lunch time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘That there London help required. Please!’ is closed to new replies.