Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • That thar 'Ard Rock Enduro
  • seadog101

Will I die if I do it on a short travel hardtail? If it won’t kill me will I suffer too much to enjoy it? Would knee and elbow pads be a wise investment?

And finally – my work schedule might have me away (50/50 chance) at the time, would I be able to give (sell?) the entry to someone else if I can’t make it?

whippetboy
    Free Member

I did this last year, really well run and a great atmosphere. I did find the course very hard going on your tyres in certain places (as in multiple pinch flats on multiple competitors), so I’d strongly recommend dual ply tyres or going tubeless. As for riding a hard tail, well if you’ve never ridden anything else then go for it, if the option of full suspension is there then I’d go for that – but that’s just down to personnel choice.

The terrain was a combination of grass, moorland track, gravel and rocks (lots of rocks, hence the name!). I’d definitely recommend armour of some sort, I remember riding quite conservatively and that was with knee and shin combo (normally do anyway), elbow pads and a normal helmet. There just always seemed to be some jagged rocks of some shape, size or description there to soften your fall!!

I found the trails different to most stuff I’d ridden before, so it’s a good way of experiencing riding something new.

As for the entries, e-mail the organisers, they’re good with replying to questions.

seadog101

Thanks Whippet. I’ve only got a hardtail choose from, so I’ll stick with that! Pads are quite a bit cheaper that I expected, never looked into it before, so I’ll definitely get me a set, even if I don’t get to the race.

I live just over in Teesdale, so this will be a grand day or 2 out!

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Looks good, what sort of distance/time does each stage usually take? Are they mainly downhill?

jimthelad
    Free Member

I did it last year on a 150mm hardtail and I was fine. Definitely recommend knee pads at the very least. I managed not to puncture, but I’ll probably stick a dual ply on just to be safe this time.
    Last year the stages were around 3 minutes for the fast guys. 4 minutes was about average I think. Stage 1 had a wee bit of up hill/flat and stage 3 had a long fireroad up and downy section at the end. I’m definitely going to get a dropper post for this years.

Simon

How many stages were there last year?

jimthelad
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

One of the really good things about the ard rock, is that in between stages, there is also some good riding to be had. Certainly compared to the POC @ GT which only really had fire road and Tarmac in between.

The views along the fremington edge escarpment were cracking.

seadog101

This all sounds very promising….!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oh, I did it on my HT as well, you’ll be fine.

withersea
    Free Member

Am signing up for it, it looks great

Rik
    Free Member

You doing it again Greg?

dan45a
    Free Member

With regards to entires I bought one off here last year and nearly wasn’t aloud to ride, organiser was very cautious and even made me buy another entry on the day but only after waiting for the event to start and all riders had ridden out. I understand why this happened but it was pretty frustrating on my part as had driven up from cardiff.

The route….I tore my rear tyre off on stage 1 as had very sharp rocks, was fun while it’s lasted though, i then had to return to camp to replace my tyre, by the time I got back up the sections were closing, I ended up descending stage 4 which was pretty good/fast little grassy.

Not a great experience for me but that was all down to my entry and bike/tyre issues.

Def check with organiser with regards to entry’s.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

God, forgot about that Dan! It was me who originally sold you my buddies place.

Rik, no, sadly. We’ve booked a cottage on Arran for that week.

steve_b77
    Free Member

AFAIK the lad I know that won it did so on a dinky wheeled anthem, I doubt he had pads on either

Houns

I’m in

26″, triple, 9 speed, QR seat post and xc lid.

Oh and a 9 year old bike too

Northwind

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Certainly compared to the POC @ GT which only really had fire road and Tarmac in between.

Not at all, it had 2 horrendous pushes as well!

philbert31
    Free Member

I did it last year and loved it, I signed up as soon as entries opened this morning. I’m coming home from Vegas early to do it!
    Her indoors was not amused when I mentioned that!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Certainly compared to the POC @ GT which only really had fire road and Tarmac in between.

Not at all, it had 2 horrendous pushes as well!

😀

tmb467
    Free Member

First enduro – may as well make it a good one to break my duck on

Need something to aim for. I fancied this last year but wussed out.

endurokid
    Free Member

I did this last year on a160mm bike running a 1×9, looking forward to doing it this year on 1×10, will be much easier!

Awesome event, superbly run, amazing scenery and fantastic descents, just hoping I can improve on my position from last year!!

jeffm
    Free Member

Liking the look of this one.

bspoked
    Free Member

Three punctures in Saturday practice last year. With no time or funds to go tubeless/double ply the only option was 45psi for race day. Survived. Loved every minute (well maybe except that road climb to Stage 3 into the mother of all head winds).

mrlugz
    Free Member

Last year was proper good craic. Enjoyed it till stage 3 on race day. 2 punctures put me aboot last. all said, well oranised, well run and good fun. what more do you want? id be in for this year but somene planned an alps uplift week at the same time…….

smogmonster

Im in, im getting married the day before though…..luckily i live only a few miles away from Reeth so i can leave getting out the hungover marital pit until the absolute last moment! 😳

Simon

I’m in too, everyone I know that did it last year said it was good fun. August seems a long way off!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘That thar 'Ard Rock Enduro’ is closed to new replies.