Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • That "surplus" Giraffe.
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

Surplus giraffe put down in Denmark

Now I understand why they must protect the genes of the breeding stock but surely if another place was willing to take him they should of allowed it?

Seems a bit unnecessary.

user-removed
    Free Member

Just read an article claiming that Longleat put down six lions over the winter, including cubs. I reckon it’s not that easy to rehome jungle animals.

McHamish
    Free Member

I’d be interested in knowing how much the equivalent weight in meat for the zoos carnivores costs.

ratherbeintobago

I’d be interested in knowing how much the equivalent weight in meat for the zoos carnivores costs.

Almost certainly less than the upkeep costs of a giraffe calf for two years.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Whats the problem? They wanted to reduce interbreeding. Killed the animal humanly and are going to use the meat/body for food and research. Seems like a good solution to me.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Were Findus involved in any way?

Kuco

Read several zoo’s offered to re-home it but to me sounds like the zoo couldn’t be arsed to sort it out.

tazzymtb

Thats interesting as the bbc radio 4 was adamant that they couldn’t find any European zoos to take it as they were maxed out as well..so its lion fodder

Kuco

Last paragraph from the link above

The director of a wildlife park in the Netherlands, Robert Krijuff, whose last-minute offer of a place was also rejected, said: “I can’t believe it. We offered to save his life. Zoos need to change the way they do business.”

And Yorkshire Wildlife Park also one in Sweden offered to take it in.

MrsToast
    Free Member

From what I’ve read, they planned to kill the giraffe because they couldn’t find a home for him, then a few places stepped up at the last minute, but they went ahead and did it anyway. It’s a shame they didn’t check that there would be a home for him before they allowed his parents to breed, but at least the lions will get some authentic home cuisine out of it…

aracer
    Free Member

Animal eugenics

samuri
    Free Member

You’ve got some neck suggesting that.

mrmo
    Free Member

It’s a shame they didn’t check that there would be a home for him before they allowed his parents to breed

I suspect part of the issue is not so much the parents, but what to do with a MALE giraffe, how many makes do you actually need and how many females?

crazy-legs

Read several zoo’s offered to re-home it but to me sounds like the zoo couldn’t be arsed to sort it out.

I can imagine that, outside of the stresses on the animal itself, postage costs for a giraffe aren’t cheap.
    Or maybe it was outside the size limits for Royal Mail…

Kuco

Come on crazy-legs giraffes a tall lanky things, wrap it in bubble wrap and any decent postie would scrunch it through a letter box no hassle.

Northwind

It’s not like they’re troublesome to transport

ononeorange

Can we also put down surplus apostrophes – humanely – too?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m sure they’d be happy to take it to an auction in Chertsey.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Can we also put down surplus apostrophes – humanely – too?

Can we also put down surplus “O” – humanely – to?

Lifer
    Free Member

To where?

brakes
    Free Member

Why did they wait 2 years to kill it?

aracer
    Free Member

Not much of a meal for their tigers before.

jon1973
    Free Member

I can imagine that, outside of the stresses on the animal itself, postage costs for a giraffe aren’t cheap.
    Or maybe it was outside the size limits for Royal Mail…

If it had been an elephant they could have transported it in the trunk.

Cougar

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI[/video]

Cougar

Seems that its ‘disposal’ isn’t the end of the story. They went “hey everyone, come and watch!”

https://twitter.com/OpRoar/status/432471028057387008/photo/1

Cougar

More here.

A crowd of visitors, including small children, looked on as the giraffe was put down [with a bolt gun]. Some grimaced while others took photos as he was autopsied and chopped up.

A full-maned lion later tucked into the giraffe’s remains, fed to carnivores at the zoo.

Good grief.

Cougar

(sorry, I’ve just realised that some of that was in the original link, I hadn’t read it till now)

Kuco

Pretty sad.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Still a bit ‘meh’ about it, spectacle or not. The giraffe could never be allowed to breed, so what happens in a few years when you want to keep it with a female or want to replace it with one than can? Put it down then when no one is watching?

I think it’s a valuable lesson/issue that more people should be aware of, bucketed in with things like where does your meat come from and what happens to ill animals etc Too many folk are all too happy to gloss over the ‘unpleasant’ realities of it all.

molgrips
    Free Member

This happens thousands of times every single day with cattle. Except it’s not lions, it’s you lot.

geoffj

More about the costs associated with rehousing IMHO
    Giraffes are 10 a penny but cost a bloody fortune to transport.

marcus7
    Free Member

stop it molgrips, you are making me hungry, anyway I had bacon for breakfast so not guilty there on the old beef front!. maybe tomorrow, the local sandwich shop does a superb hot beef and horseradish bap…. no giraffe though

aracer
    Free Member

Come to think of it, why aren’t they selling giraffe steaks?

nick1962
    Free Member

Should’ve kept the lions hungry for a couple of weeks and then let the surplus giraffe loose in the lion pen.Then let the giraffe’s mum in for payback.Would’ve drawn a good crowd too.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCwY3tx8_sQ[/video]

geoffj

I once had giraffe at The Carnivore in Nairobi. Was quite nice actually.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

I once had giraffe at The Carnivore in Nairobi. Was quite nice actually.

not a whole one surely-do they do anything with its skin–looks like it would make a funky coat…

JCL
    Free Member

The whole thing can be summed up (like many other **** up things) in one word, ‘Humans’.

Sandwich

The drumsticks look a bit big.

DrJ

Lion eats giraffe – that’s news? Much ado about nothing.

zokes
    Free Member

Lion eats giraffe – that’s news? Much ado about nothing.

Reading or comprehension fail, surely?

That, or tedious trolling

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘That "surplus" Giraffe.’ is closed to new replies.