Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • That Sonder Transmitter on the homepage…
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Am I the only one slightly aroused by this bike?

First Look: Sonder Transmitter Carbon

YoKaiser
    Free Member

It is very nice indeed, I wonder what weight it is with the carbon wheels?

scotroutes

No 2x. A’hm out!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

tis tasty

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s braw, indeed. And not the kind of bike you’d use for touring, so no need for 2x…. 8)

mccraque

Am I the only one slightly aroused by this bike?

No. It’s been giving me a lazy one for a while. Even more so that I could just strip down the Solaris chubby I am riding and use all of the parts.

And maybe sell the full suss too.

Tis a thing of beauty.

km79
    Free Member

Looks good, pity it stops at size large. I’m oot!

fifeandy
    Free Member

And not the kind of bike you’d use for touring, so no need for 2x….

Indeed, the intended use of that bike isn’t bike-packing, monster XC days or XC training, its firmly aimed at blasting down the local trail centre at warp speed, for which a 1x is a perfect choice.

Certainly looks a nice bike at a nice price.

mccraque

Indeed, the intended use of that bike isn’t bike-packing, monster XC days or XC training, its firmly aimed at blasting down the local trail centre at warp speed, for which a 1x is a perfect choice.

At a 26.5lbs weight fully built….why on earth couldn’t you do a monster XC ride? 1×11 isn’t limiting.

timmys

And not the kind of bike you’d use for touring, so no need for 2x….

Indeed, the intended use of that bike isn’t bike-packing, monster XC days or XC training, its firmly aimed at blasting down the local trail centre at warp speed, for which a 1x is a perfect choice.[/quote]

Also my fairly typically old 2x set-up (38/26 + 11-36) gave a 475% gear range. This 1x has a 500% gear range.

scotroutes

OMG!!! – I wasn’t being completely serious. My Marley is 1x….

faustus

stealth 1x haters thread! 😉

It looks a cracking bike and the new alu frame has the same updated geo now, for £300!

fifeandy
    Free Member

1×11 isn’t limiting.

This discussion has been had on a million threads already, and whilst it may not be limiting for you it is for some.
    I’ve got a 535% range on my 2x XC bike and its already limiting (ideally i’d like an extra gear at each end)

But i’d agree its not limiting for ripping round Glentress (other TC’s exist) which is clearly what the bike is meant for.

faustus

Nonsense! You can’t just consign anything 1x to your metaphorical trail centre dustbin! 🙂

oldejeans
    Free Member

I think it’s gorgeous

now that the CFO has commandeered my blue pig I might be able to justify a frame only deal on that

fifeandy
    Free Member

Nonsense! You can’t just consign anything 1x to your metaphorical trail centre dustbin!

I can, and just did 😀

But there’s other stuff too.
    65deg HA
    780mm bars
    Only takes 1 bottle cage
    Not really sure why people have taken so much offence at pointing out a bike that’s clearly been designed with a certain niche of riding in mind.

Would you also be offended if I said a Scott Scale was designed for XC, or a Canyon Sender was designed for DH?

prawny

I like it too, still not 100% sold on plus tyres yet though as a pauper and a skinflint.

retro83
    Free Member

The short stem looks a bit silly side on, love the thin TT though.

faustus

I’m in no way offended, just a little weary of 1x hating for the sake of it. And niche riding, really? Maybe your precise requirements are the niche! 🙂

dumbbot
    Free Member

A mate recently got the base Sektor/Alu reef green one on cycle to work, they look great and i was surprised at how light it was even with the reportedly heavy non-carbon love mud wheels. Not sold on plus tyres though, and i’d still stick with my steel Stanton over the carbon Transmitter if you offered me a swap.

The colors are really nice but this black one looks sick.

Posted by Sonder Bikes on Wednesday, July 19, 2017

rascal
    Free Member

Tis indeed a beaut.

twonks

I had a very quick ride on a large one (oooer) around the Alpkit showroom a month or so back.

Rode very nice for the short car park tarmac with a few pot holes distance, and I was tempted to take the nice man up on his offer to take it for a ride round the peaks.

Unfortunately the seat tube was a bit too long for my short legs and a dropper post so I decided against it – hence didn’t want to ‘borrow’ it for a day with no sale for the chap afterwards.

Ultimately I spent a bit less and built up a Dartmoor Primal Plus. So far I’m sold on the plus bike and probably will end up with the Carbon Transmitter frame and a 100mm dropper instead of 125mm.

Need to get some miles on the Dartmoor first though, just to be sure as £700 on a frame is a lot if I lose the interest in plussness.

PS. I’m a smidge under 6 foot with a long torso and 31″ inside leg – hence the need for a reasonably long reach yet short seat tube.

cookeaa

Frame RRP: £699

That’s pretty reasonable when compared with similarly fun angled 27+ frames, my choice would be to run it with 29×2.3″ tyres but the blurb seems to be discouraging using it with 29″ wheels…

Anyone running an Al transmitter with 29 wheels?

tomhoward

Does look interesting, would be interested in it with 29 wheels more though, (seems to be a theme for me at the mo)

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Yep, lovely looking bike but as many others have said I’d be more interested in a proper 29er. Am on the lookout for a fun 29er hardtail just now and would definately have put this on the list were it not for the ‘designer says wouldn’t recommend 29″ comment.

cookeaa

By my fag packet maths there ain’t much difference between the OD of a 27.5×3.0″ tyre and a 29×2.3″ tyre…

tomhoward

IME there ain’t much difference between the OD of a 27.5×3.0″ tyre and a 29×2.3″ tyre…

This…

Burchy1
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    Does look interesting, would be interested in it with 29 wheels more though

This.

There might not be much in the OD’s but I wouldn’t want to be confined to smaller 29er tyres on a bike with those angles and opportunity for getting lairy.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m imagining clearance is tight or too close for comfort thus the fitting of the smaller rear tyre. If a 27.5 x 2.8 is fitted is that comparable to a 29 x 2.1?

jruk
    Free Member

Not designing it to also run 29x ~2.3/4 seems a bit daft. That and some sliding dropouts and you’ve got a super adaptable frame.

cookeaa

TBH I’m happy enough with 26×2.3″ it’s a good width for general use summer and winter, of course a 29″ equivalent has more volume by default and better rollover…

Plus tyres seem to mainly be a summer thing, cush and grip but bobbins for mud.

It’s more the geometry that the ‘plusness’ that appeals to me, having a frame with the latest axle gimmicks sort of covers possible bases for the future too…

Northwind

I like it but a plus-specific bike that can only do 2.8 rear has failed imo, especially when it’s 1x only. 2.8 max is the sort of thing you expect from 29ers with plus tyres jammed in.

While I’m in a negative grumpy bastard mood, what’s going on with those wheels? 2kg+, only 35mm inside width, a carbon rim that weighs 520g- they’ve more or less reinvented the WTB i35 and made it expensive.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Didn’t get the decals on straight, shame.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

A plus point is that if its optimised for tyres 27.5 and sub 3.0 then fitting a tougher 2.6 rear isn’t going to massively effect the geometry. I’d see this as a better set of options for a long/low/slack hardtail than being able to get 29er wheels in.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had no idea that 1×11 was for trail centre use only, if never have bought if if it known, don’t really ride TCs.

The shame.

alextemper
    Free Member

Agree they dropped the ball not making it officially 29″ compatible otherwise a bike like that would clean up given current trends and read contradictory comments regarding compatibility.

In one review the reviewers said they tried standard sized 29″ wheels (I assume that means a 2.3″ tyre) with no issue. In a separate article on the bike, Brant Richards is quoted saying you cannot run 29″ wheels in this frame.

My personal view is that unofficially you probably can use them but with a massive difference in manufacture sizing it opens up a can of worms for Alpkit of one persons 2.3 working and another persons rubbing.

cookeaa

TBF I had a poke about looking at the Q&A section for the Al Transmitter and someone had asked about 29″ wheels and the response suggested that it can actually only clear a 27×2.8″ tyre, being roughly equivalent to a 29×2.1 OD and that you’d be taking a chance going that bit bigger in terms of clearance on the back of the seat tube…

While £700 isn’t a bad price for the Carbon Transmitter, I’d not want to risk buying one, expecting to fit a tyre the manufacturer is specifically advising against, bit of a shame but then it’s all probably a bit outside my price bracket at present.

I did of course end up poking about the interwebz looking at 29er and 29 capable ‘Plus’ frames last night, and almost inevitably found myself looking at the chameleon, it’s pricey for an Aluminium frame but ticks lots of boxes as a plus/29er capable frame…

Speeder

It’s not a bike I’m interested in buying in any way as I just don’t need a carbon hardtail in my life but it is a lovely thing, some of the details are fantastic and I can’t believe that they can do a (very) custom moulded carbon frame for that sort of money. They must be expecting to shift a lot of them.

Well done Alpkit/Sonder

blitz

Does look lovely that.

roverpig

I like the fact that they’ve committed to a wheel and tyre size and built the best bike they could around that, rather than hedging their bets and compromising. Looks lovely in green too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘That Sonder Transmitter on the homepage…’ is closed to new replies.