Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • That sending suspension by courier thing again
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve just had this reply from Parcelforce:

“If they are just spring loaded then they should be okay to send, but not if they contain any gas.”

Although the reply is a little cryptic, the fact that most rear shocks contain nitrogen could be a problem.

willard

I wonder the same thing (being about to send a shock to TFTuned), but they are sending someone to pick it up, so I should avoid all that.

Good luck though. Can you get enough insurance to cover the value, or will the fact that it contains nitrogen be enough to invalidate it?

wombat

*Smartar5e comment alert*

I assume from this that the people at Parcelforce aren’t aware that the Earth’s atmosphere is mostly nitrogen with a bit of oxygen and other things floating about in it and therfore every parcel they transport contains gas.

LoCo
    Free Member

I’d suggest you avoid Royal mail & parcel force as officially forks and shock do breach their T&Cs, if on the off chance they check the parcel contents.
    We use APC for collection & delivery services.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

After reading this thread and having a bit of a panic I’m relieved to say my shock did get to its destination *phew*

[edit] via Royal Mail

Gotama
    Free Member

Willard – for 13 quid why don’t you just use TFs collection service. It’s really very good and hassle free.

maccruiskeen

*Smartar5e comment alert*

I assume from this that the people at Parcelforce aren’t aware that the Earth’s atmosphere is mostly nitrogen with a bit of oxygen and other things floating about in it and therfore every parcel they transport contains gas.

Indeed – I think their issue is really with pressurised containers. Their concerns are probably really about aerosols, gas and fuel canisters and the like, and by extension things like cordless hair straighteners full of butane- shocks just happen to have been caught up in their catch-all exclusion.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve just had a set of forks collected and delivered to Loco (*waves* @ Simon!) using APC.
    I really wouldn’t skimp on the courier costs with something worth £400+. For the sake of an extra tenner its worth it, for worrying about whether your chosen carrier is going to carry out a controlled explosion on your forks because they have a bit of compressed air in them.

mikey74
    Free Member

This just in, from one of APC’s depots:

we cannot take any goods that contain any nitrogen.

I’m wondering if they have to say this, for liability reasons. However, in reality, if they don’t know about it then…..

willard

Gotama – Already done so… They pick it up tomorrow!

Trekster

From being manufactured to being fitted to a bike and then transported all over the world how does it then become difficult for you and I to send for repair ❓
    By default there should be no bikes in the shops 💡

mikey74
    Free Member

From being manufactured to being fitted to a bike and then transported all over the world how does it then become difficult for you and I to send for repair
    By default there should be no bikes in the shops

Exactly! That’s the ridiculous thing about all of this.

mikey74
    Free Member

another reply from APC:

Maybe these other people didn’t advise that the bike contained nitrogen.

I have just spoken to one of sales execs and they have clarified that we cannot take nitrogen based products.

The moral of this story kids is don’t tell them.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The key is to use anyone who isn’t royal mail/parclefarce.

I’m tempted to start posting inflated balloons. It’s a vessel containing a positive nitrogen charge.

stuarthatfield
    Free Member

Or service it yourself ,if it’s just a service ,no more than 15 mins to complete ,take a look on you tube kits from around £17.99

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I posted a shock last week and wanted to send it signed for (rather than left in the shed or bin) so I sent it royalmail. Having heard the horror stories of folk not getting shocks delivered due to the gas charge thing I guessed that likely way they get spotted is people describing the contents as bike shock or if the parcels are x-rayed at a large sorting office.
    Not sure if this really works but I described contents as flask put the shock on a cardboard tube and wrapped it in about 5 layers of tin foil. It hot to where I sent it ok.

mikey74
    Free Member

Stuart: that’s fine but it also affects the secondhand market and those who want to post bits they’ve sold, such as myself on this occasion.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘That sending suspension by courier thing again’ is closed to new replies.