Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • That old question: what tyres for..? Or rather, to replace…
  • MrKmkII
    Free Member

Hello all. I’m after some tyre advice, and all I can remember about potential options is about how they have some big flaws. These flaws might be unfounded now though, so if you would, please enlighten me!

I have had a Continental X-King ProTection 26, 2.2″ (ghetto tubeless) on the rear of my (hardtail) bike for a couple of years. I like this tyre because the rolling resistance is pretty low (lots of riding on roads and gravel paths), but still pretty good over rougher stuff. However, I ripped a side knob off at Cwmcarn, so want to replace it.

I see now that a lot of people experience knobs ripping off Conti Black Chilli tyres. SO I looked elsewhere. But I had a bad experience with a Spesh 2Bliss where the sidewall deformed and delaminated, leaving a huge bulge on the tyre. Knobby Nics seemed like a good one to try but I recall rumours that they don’t like tubeless either, and can delaminate.

So what you saying? Tubeless-ready but not the weight of UST, not mega chunky knobs so bearable on roads, and tough enough to not fall to bits. Cheers!

Jamie
    Free Member

I like this tyre

so want to replace it.

😀

Seriously, how did the tubeless go with the X-King Protection? As thinking of getting some myself down the line.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Wow, take the piss then ask advice? Brazen. Fine as tubeless. I’m not a hard rider though these days, so to rip a knob off surprised. Seen user reviews mention this happen on the first ride… But from the tubeless angle – no issues.

timmys

Seriously, how did the tubeless go with the X-King Protection? As thinking of getting some myself down the line.

Conti, as always, don’t actually make the combo you’d actually want (Black Chilli + UST) so I’ve used Protection tubeless (on UST rims) with no problems. Went up with a track pump fine. This was with Contis Revo sealant but Stans would be just us good, if not better. There are pores in the sidewall that need sealing so I wouldn’t go with a non-latex based sealant.

There’s even an official guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HfULR0PnZE

nickc

Will the 2.4 version fit in your frame?

ratherbeintobago

There are pores in the sidewall that need sealing so I wouldn’t go with a non-latex based sealant.

I had this with ProTection MK2’s; they sealed up after a bit (with Stans) and I was happy enough with them to go with them again for the new bike.

Knobby Nics seemed like a good one to try but I recall rumours that they don’t like tubeless either, and can delaminate.

Surprised by this; IIRC all Schwalbe Evo tyres are meant to be tubeless ready. In any case, isn’t a NN more of a MK equivalent? What about a Racing Ralph?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Will the 2.4 version fit in your frame?

I think so (Inbred from about 4 years ago). Why do you ask? Is knob-shredding associated with smaller sizes?

IIRC all Schwalbe Evo tyres are meant to be tubeless ready. In any case, isn’t a NN more of a MK equivalent? What about a Racing Ralph?

Going back a few years but as I recall even the Evos were delaminating. Are you running Schwalbe tubeless yourself? They’ve been fine? Happy to be told it was an old batch/design and no longer a problem 🙂

ratherbeintobago

Going back a few years but as I recall even the Evos were delaminating. Are you running Schwalbe tubeless yourself? They’ve been fine? Happy to be told it was an old batch/design and no longer a problem

IIRC they changed the casing a couple of years ago, but I may be wrong about this. As per my post above, I’m running Contis and have been for a while (following on from Bontys and before that Panaracers, all run tubeless).

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Ah yes, you did say that! I do like the Contis, but my confidence is a little shook. Have a pair of Mountain King Mk1 (one on the front of this bike) which are 6 years old! They’ve been fine, seems the newer ones suffer from ripped lugs (if user reviews are any guide). Thanks for your advice 🙂

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Anyone else like to add anything? 8)

chrishc777
    Free Member

Love the Xking, but have had same problem. Recently moved to a Maxxis Ardent EXO as they seem to have the best reputation for sidewalls etc. Very impressed, sameish weight as the Xking and maybe slightly faster rolling (My one is rather worn, down to the tread height of and ardent race) and just as grippy so far. Also no splits cuts or punctures so far

chrishc777
    Free Member

Is knob-shredding associated with smaller sizes?

If anyone could elaborate on ‘knob shredding’ I would like to know more

MrKmkII
    Free Member

If anyone could elaborate on ‘knob shredding’ I would like to know more

Well, what I mean, is the knob has ripped off, to reveal the threads below. Which is also what I have seen mentioned in reviews for many different models with the Black Chilli compound. That’s my reason for not wanting to get another Conti. Not sure why Nickc mentioned the bigger size. Perhaps he’ll come back and elaborate??

Also, thanks for Maxxis Ardent suggestion, sounds good!

Del

FWIW I think contis blow goats, though I have relatively limited experience of them, i won’t let that stop me expressing an opinion. 😉
    take a look at the on-one tyres. smorgasboard have a tread that looks like it would roll well, they have sidewall protection, and they’re pretty cheap. they’re made by maxxis. HTH.
    edit: and it’s going on the back it doesn’t really matter that much, does it?

IA

looks like it would roll well, they have sidewall protection, and they’re pretty cheap. they’re made by maxxis. HTH

They’re good, I have some on a bike, but they don’t “roll well” unless your standard’s a supertacky wet scream or similar. They’re comparable to a minion. Which also doesn’t roll well, they’re heavy enduro-ish tyres.

Now a crossmark, that rolls well.

So I’d say crossmark or ikon (bit grippier) if you’re mostly XC with a fair bit of road/gravel work. They’re fast tyres, not hugely grippy but fine on surfaced trail centre stuff and you can get away with them in surprisingly sloppy stuff.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Well it matters a bit, if you cycle uphill and offroad! But, maybe not quite as critical. Bit heavy that Smorgasbord though, perhaps.

ratherbeintobago

Now a crossmark, that rolls well.

Wasn’t there a bike review in the mag that described Crossmarks as ‘optimistic-for-November’?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Thanks IA, and thanks for the counter-comment, ratherbeintobago! Maxxis certainly rising to the top 🙂

chrishc777
    Free Member

On one chunky monkey is good on the front and excellent value, mine has clocked at least 800 miles and doesn’t even look slightly worn yet! Trail extreme compound, 20 quid. But for the back ardent/ardent race for grip and good rolling speed, or crossmark for speed

Del

just goes to show how nuts these threads are. chunky monkey tried to put me on my arse several times until i stuck it on the back. other mates rate them, but they just don’t suit me on the front.
    each to their own.

nickc

the 2.4 version is equally good in terms of rolling speed, but the bigger volume gives it a bit more traction (especially run tubless) best of both worlds

chrishc777
    Free Member

Del, totally agree, heard of people splitting them and hating them. People mostly like them though and I swear by mine. Wouldn’t want it on the back though, a bit power sapping surely?

Del

no – it’s fine, but it is the plain vanilla version. good volume for my LT HT. i used to have a tendency to pinch on the rear…
    use a bontrager xr4 on the front, which i rate for grip and ( again ) volume, but they’re a bit flimsy in the side wall….

IA

chunky monkey tried to put me on my arse several times until i stuck it on the back. other mates rate them,

I find the CM and smorgasbord very pressure sensitive. A few PSI too many and they’re very skittery, need to be just right.

described Crossmarks as ‘optimistic-for-November’?

I’d agree with that (and I’m advocating the crossmark). The ikon’s a little grippier, I run the ikon on the front, crossmark on the back.

However it depending what you’re riding. Gravel, tarmac, laps of cwm carn, other man made stuff – ace tyre any time of year.

Mud and wet roots, less good. That’s my local stuff, so I switch to Beavers for the winter months.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

the 2.4 version is equally good in terms of rolling speed, but the bigger volume gives it a bit more traction (especially run tubless) best of both worlds

Thanks nickc. My issue wasn’t really to do with volume, but lugs getting pulled off. Maybe would consider the larger size if the other issue was known to be fixed, but not tempted just now.

nickc

Sorry wasn’t clear, the 2.4 is more robust, it has all the best bits of the 2.2 but is able to withstand the impacts a bit better, doesn’t rip off the lugs.

best of both worlds.

still a fast tyre, still reasonable light(ish) still grippy.

chrishc777
    Free Member

My Xkings were 2.4 and the sidewalls tore, the tread was covered in cuts and the knobs tore off

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘That old question: what tyres for..? Or rather, to replace…’ is closed to new replies.