Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • That new planetx aero bike….
  • DT78
    Free Member

Got to say, looks really quite nice, first one of their bikes I’ve been tempted by. Anyone ridden one or too soon? Is it just a generic frame rebadged?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks ok. Be interested to know if the “aero” is just a styling thing or whether it’s actually aero.

shermer75
    Free Member

Judging purely by looks alone I’d say it seems a bit ‘gappy’ at the back there:

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks like they named it after this:

Lockheed Martin EC130-E Rivet Rider

DT78
    Free Member

That doesn’t exactly look like a fast plane, surely a better name for a tourer 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cargo bike maybe?

shermer75
    Free Member

I took it to be meant with a sense of humour! 🙂 It’s quite a bsallsy move though, it only really works if the aero numbers stack up…

DT78
    Free Member

Well no one is actually going to wind tunnel it are they to prove it?

mrsfry
    Free Member

No rack mounts, fitting full mudguards will be a pitta and don’t get me started on fitting a wicker basket to the front.

Bah humbug 🙁

crouchingpig
    Free Member

Ultegra for 3.5k? Seems pricey!

lunge

Give it a month and I’m sure it’ll be a much better price.

Straightliner

Where are the discs?

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s Ultegra Di2, not just Ultegra.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

why waste money putting something in a wind tunnel when you can just copy the style of someone who’s already done it

I genuinely don’t get the rationale for people spending big money on an own-brand product from a budget brand (and no I’m not trolling no-doubt happy owners). If I was spending £3.5K on a road bike I’d rather have a slightly lower groupset and some confidence in the fact that genuine R+D has gone into the frame, like the similarly priced (and specced) Canyon Aeroad for example

And no, I don’t own a Canyon or work for them, just can’t fathom why on earth anyone would consider a bike from a company that see Sports Direct as a role model over that.

DT78
    Free Member

All in said was it looked nice….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I genuinely don’t get the rationale for people spending big money on an own-brand product from a budget brand (and no I’m not trolling no-doubt happy owners). If I was spending £3.5K on a road bike I’d rather have a slightly lower groupset and some confidence in the fact that genuine R+D has gone into the frame, like the similarly priced (and specced) Canyon Aeroad for example

R&D doesn’t really matter. Aero road bikes are just a marketing man’s dream.

Most road cyclists can’t even get to grips with standard road frame geometry, let alone those with shorter head tubes.

hammerite
    Free Member

Never buy a Planet X bike when first release. They’ll do a special in a couple of months time with £750 knocked of it.

I have to say I thought it looked quite nice too DT78.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

The whole wind tunnel thing seems a bit odd.
    Looking at the picture above it shows a bike in a tunnel. Stick a human being on top of the bike it’s like adding a sail
    When I did some aero work at Southhampton uni the guys there told us how they had worked with the British cycle team
    They were not giving any classified info away, but in their experience the skin suits and more importantly the material the skin suits are made from, make a bigger difference than shaped seat tubes etc.
    I think a lot of it is probably styling.

TiRed

Used my aero bike yesterday for it’s intended use. I’d like to say that the aero helped into the head wind, and I managed to stay up in the cross winds. R and D costs money. The big guys spend a lot of money on development. I’m happy to pay for that.

Giant did it properly. They did “stick a human being on top”. A reproducible one 😉 I know it’s marketing guff, but I think they put the hours in in the lab before going to market.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Certainly enough hours do get a bit of video and a few shots for the sales department 😆

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

All in said was it looked nice….

and just developing the conversation, not shooting you down! To me it looks like a cross between a Venge (sloping/hunched top tube) and a Dogma (reverse curve-styled forks). I’m not usually a fan of the look of aero bikes but I do like the look of the Canyon, the parallel seat/downtubes and flat/horizontal top tube keep that retro classic road bike aesthetic.

tpbiker
    Free Member

+1 for the canyone looking better value. Proven tour frame and components just as good.

TiRed

I’ve got two Propels, and I really like the Canyon too – it’s a great looking bike. Let me know when the PX wins a decent race 😉

hammerite
    Free Member

TiRed – riders win races, not bikes.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got two Propels, and I really like the Canyon too – it’s a great looking bike. Let me know when the PX wins a decent race

C’mon, don’t pretend Movistar ride Canyon because they’re so good, or that Kittel demands a Propel! If P-X sponsored a Pro-Tour team they’d win big races.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Incredible as it may seem riders still win races on non-aero bikes too 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘That new planetx aero bike….’ is closed to new replies.