Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • That new Orange P7
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

That really floats my boat

But what else should I be looking at, I get the feeling that this may be a little expensive when it comes out. I’m not, and never have been, at a level to justify full sus (this year)

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Very classy looking bike. My mrs has an old 15″ P7 in white. It’s lovely with her purple parts.

LMT
    Free Member

I can’t make out the wheel size? 650b? 29er?

I had a P7 and been waiting for Orange to re-release it was a great bike, although a little heavy on the climbing.

binners

One of those things has definitely got my name on it, to replace my existing P7. First bike I’ve seen in ages that immediately gave me that feeling…..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7jJnwEeiU0[/video]

chrisa87
    Free Member

Is it going to be 120mm travel? I can’t see any details on that.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not, and never have been, at a level to justify full sus

Not sure I understand that.. is there a level you need to be at to ride FS? Are you not riding rocky trails or something?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

binners

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

So why do we like that bike – is it cos it iz black?

daver27
    Free Member

Same here. £499 frame and 2 full build options £1599 and £1799 ish i believe, might be wrong, just what i’ve heard today. 650b, not 29.

I really like it, something about it looks right.

alternatives are the Cotic BFe i suppose, Production Privee Shan or Oka, maybe On One 456 at the cheaper end.

ads678

her purple parts

😯

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I’m not, and never have been, at a level to justify full sus

Not sure I understand that.. is there a level you need to be at to ride FS? Are you not riding rocky trails or something?

I’ll rephrase that, full sus may be too expensive and I feel i’d get a better hardtail for the same money as a lower end full sus.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh well that’s certainly true. Carry on 🙂

deviant
    Free Member

Looks great, I’m very partial to a thin tubed steel hardtail, to me they are the true ‘do it all’ bikes (if one even exists!?)…they’re usually strong enough for big forks and DH laughs yet efficient enough to make a good fist of an XC/trail type ride….and did I mention the thin tubed gorgeousness?!…..£500 seems like a bargain next to the £1000 I have been considering for a dream Curtis hardtail frame!….the reality is I’ll probably just spend £185 on a Dartmoor Hornet and try aluminium for my next hardcore hardtail but I can still dream.

Some great bikes coming out of the Eurobike show, loving the 65-66 degree HA hardtails that are becoming more mainstream now.

soundninjauk

I sold my old black P7 last year to help fund my new full bouncer (Whyte G150). Seeing that picture is making me want to start afresh all over again though…

woodster

Looks awesome. Guessing it’s not British built?

Much tidier looking than the new Trailstar.

marka.
    Free Member

They’ve bent the downtube, it looks very slack and they’ve lost the seatstays coming off a thicker spur (don’t know how to describe it).

I can’t tell from the picture, but it also looks like a bog standard dropout, so not switchable to SS or hub gears.

So it’s a no from me. It’s a bike, it might be a nice one (although I don’t like bent tubes) but it’s not a P7.

WildHunter2009

I’m loving the recent crop of proper nails steel hardtails. This, that Pace a few weeks back Those Stantons and the new Cotics.

coomber
    Free Member

Looks great. Think i’d go for the new onza frames instead though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have orange ever explained why they make it from cheapo steel?

Not sniping, just thought they’d have the clout to compete with cotic, Stanton etc if they wanted to.

superstu
    Free Member

Full build I’d rather a Honzo, and frame only looks quite expensive as there’s some very nice frames around for £500.

Having said that nice to see it reincarnated and I’m sure it will sell well. Looks nice.

benpinnick

Not sniping, just thought they’d have the clout to compete with cotic, Stanton etc if they wanted to.

Depends on what they are after. If you wanted dent resistance etc. then an expensive steel is a bit of a waste. 4130 builds great frames when done properly and expensive alloys only really come into their own if you want to run thin walled tubes, which not everyone does. In a funny way, Orange have the clout to use 4130 as they can create their own custom tubing profiles whereas smaller companies might opt for off the shelf higher spec tubing instead to save both in time, cost and thought required.

binners

As the owner of a 4130 steel P7 (Tange I think) I can honestly say it rides bloody brilliant. I suspect that was what counted in the end. It really isn’t that heavy either. You can’t be talking much difference weight-wise between that, and if they made it out of something more exotic, I wouldn’t have thought

metalheart
    Free Member

The point is that 853 is more expensive than 4130. Cotic Soul is £499 for 853 and the cro-mo BFe is only £349 (and that’s with an 853 downtube!). Not saying BFe and P7 are directly comparable frames but it’s significantly cheaper than than the soul.

What I really don’t get is the tiny front ring and mahoosive first cog… 😐

Mind you I still run triple chainsets….

iainc

What I really don’t get is the tiny front ring and mahoosive first cog.

Emperors new clothes innit 😀

I prefer a nice double 🙂

benpinnick

That set up gets you 83% of the ratios of a double… Thats about 3 usable gears. Personally I would happily lose 3 gears off a double in exchange for no front shifter or mech.

chakaping
    Free Member

Depends on what they are after. If you wanted dent resistance etc. then an expensive steel is a bit of a waste. 4130 builds great frames when done properly and expensive alloys only really come into their own if you want to run thin walled tubes, which not everyone does. In a funny way, Orange have the clout to use 4130 as they can create their own custom tubing profiles whereas smaller companies might opt for off the shelf higher spec tubing instead to save both in time, cost and thought required.

I see what you’re saying, perhaps they’ll explain more when it gets a proper launch anyway.

Personally I’ve always found high-end multi-butted steel frames tough enough – even old-school XC noodles. That’s part of the appeal of steel in my eyes, it can take a dent if need be.

iolo
    Free Member

It’s a hardtail. Two triangles. It looks much the same as every other hardtail. The angles might be the “current cool whatever” and it might be made from the best material ever but it’s no different to any other hardtail I’ve ever seen.
    It’s very hard to get excited over something that looks the same as every other frame consisting of a tail that is hard.

binners

Speak for yourself. I think it looks purposefully lovely, and I’m getting one

So there! 😛

chris85
    Free Member

Looks nice and slack, perfect for steep technical stuff! Even slacker than the blue pig! Just what I’m after. I hope the 525 Reynolds is as springy as the 853 and I’ll be a potential buyer!

Northwind

chakaping – Member

Because they can sell it for the same price as other people’s expensive steel? And they can deal with any weight issue by just refusing to tell you what it weighs 😆

chris85
    Free Member

Northwind – Member 

chakaping – Member

Because they can sell it for the same price as other people’s expensive steel? And they can deal with any weight issue by just refusing to tell you what it weighs 

POSTED 18 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

So is 525 steel cheap steel?

Northwind

It’s the far-eastern licenced version of Reynold’s bottom-end 4130 cromo. None of this means it’s bad, or unsuitable, of course, it just has a bearing on the value side of it.

couldgetacarforthat
    Free Member

Difficult to get further information on this but the Orange Crush has been given rave reviews. I’m definitely very interested in buying this bike. I just need someone to review it properly

woodster

Do we know what colours the frames will be available in? The Green on the P7S isn’t really my thing, but the blue on the RS is nice.

couldgetacarforthat
    Free Member

That RS build spec is definitely what I’m looking for. Been looking at hard tails for a good while now. This ticks all the boxes and it just “looks” right for chucking around the Peak District. The new Pace HT is a close second though.

qwerty
    Free Member

I just need someone to review it properly

The 525 steel whilst not the lightest, these tubes hide the extra grammes surprisingly well, built for abuse, that the geometry incites. The 65′ head angle comes into its own on the steepest of technical trails, the 50mm stem and wide bars alleviate any sloppyness in the steering dept. whilst the hardtail rear end does nothing to hinder the winch & plummet style of riding this bike is built for. A durable build kit of trail proven parts finishes off this bike, but we’d like to see a dropper specced as standard on all models. Clearly not a race bike but one that’ll keep you competitive whilst chasing your mates on their gnarrpoons round trail centres & bike parks.

qwerty
    Free Member

^ he made that up 😉

chestrockwell

Do we know what colours the frames will be available in? The Green on the P7S isn’t really my thing, but the blue on the RS is nice

Looking at the site it seems you can choose any of the custom colours if you go RS. I’d have the green personally.

superstu
    Free Member

My nearest orange dealer said stock was going to be very low (but they were being very pushy in trying to sell me a bike!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘That new Orange P7’ is closed to new replies.