Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • That new Deore group set
  • matt_outandabout

Why no 1×11?

cokie

I assume they don’t want to devalue their SLX/XT 11spd range.
    Deore is entry level and I guess they would see sales fall of the other groupsets.
    Plus their Deore 11spd cassette would weigh about 1kg 😛

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

because it’s a budget groupset so they’ll “trickle down” technology and keep the desirable stuff higher end so you still buy XT?

Or just buy Sram 1x who had a massive jump-start on Shimano (who appear to have been dragged kicking and screaming into 1x) and have it dialled and far lighter.

neilwheel
    Free Member

It’s 10 speed, and 10 speeds ain’t enough.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Monkey +1

rene59
    Free Member

Is it a new design or rebadged old slx/xt 10 speed?

spawnofyorkshire

Looks like a bit of both

scotroutes

It’ll come as a surprise to many but Shimano still do 8 and 9 speed groupsets too.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Trickle down init – today’s Deore is last gen SLX tech using Deore level materials and they were 10sp.

If you want a budget, tough, reliable 1x system you could use the core of a Deore, with an SLX narrow/wide ring it’s still a 11-42 cassette so the same range as most of the SLX/XT stuff, just one less click in between.

Personally, I’ve got all the shifting finesse of a monkey **** a beach ball – bang ’em in a couple at a time, I could probably live with 5 gears, 3 at a push 😉 IN fact I’m sure I could – 42t 11t and 27t I’d be fine.

mrmo
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sram-eagle-problem-any-one-experienced-it

I’ll stick with Shimano, Sram has always been unreliable crap.

As for why no 1×11, think outside your box, and go ride up a mountain, if your buying Deore you are probably less fit than a purchaser of XTR so you tailor for the market. It may come as a surprise to hear that people ride up hills these days.

P-Jay
    Free Member

They look quite close, usually though it’s the weight that’s the big one – I can’t see a pic of the back of a Deore cassette but the old one weighed as much as a small moon (but I’m sure never wore out) – typically with the rest of it you swap Alu for steel where is needs to be strong and plastic for where it doesn’t.

If I were going to do one of those around the world type things you see on TV and outright performance was a distant second to reliability – I’d go with Deore.

zippykona

I’ve got sram on my new bike and hate not being able to engage a faster gear with my index finger.

kelvin

I am so buying that cassette, once I see it somewhere for about £40.

Who needs another 11spd option when SLX is already such a good price?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like the look of it, 10s is no bad thing, I reckon plenty of people still riding around on 11-36t cassettes will buy it (it’s the same weight as an expander cog setup).

If it was 11s everyone would be up in arms moaning about the lack of availability 10s cassettes.

I’ve got sram on my new bike and hate not being able to engage a faster gear with my index finger.

I like SRAM shifters, try clicking the paddle down with your knuckle rather than fingertip. It actually works better as you never need to let go of the bar.

nedrapier

I like the look of it, 10s is no bad thing, I reckon plenty of people still riding around on 11-36t cassettes will buy it (it’s the same weight as an expander cog setup).

inc. me! I’ll have a RH shifter, anyway.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ffs-i-spec-ii-b-10-speed

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

As for why no 1×11, think outside your box, and go ride up a mountain, if your buying Deore you are probably less fit than a purchaser of XTR so you tailor for the market. It may come as a surprise to hear that people ride up hills these days

I’m confused, are you saying that only unfit people who buy Deore ride uphill?

I’m not in any box; I’ve got 1×11 and 2×9, and I’m neither a Sram nor a 1x fanboi but clearly
    1) 1x is popular with riders, not just manufacturers
    2) shimano seem reluctant to embrace it
    3) they’re selling 1x on their other, more expensive groupsets.

It’s not nuanced “knowing your market” so much as basic pricing strategy in order to build a range. Their Tiagra road group has recently been re-designed to hidden cabling and aesthetics that mimic the 5800/6800 groupsets, yet they left it 10 speed. I don’t believe there is a manufacturing cost saving there in dropping one click off the lever ratchet, but it justifies the extra price of the 105 groupset.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t believe there is a manufacturing cost saving there in dropping one click off the lever ratchet, but it justifies the extra price of the 105 groupset.

Plenty of cost savings elsewhere in the groupset though.

If it were just a deliberately hobbled 105 then they’d just make 105 and sell it cheaper to get it on more bikes than Apex/Rival as even Apex is 11s now.

nedrapier

As for why no 1×11, think outside your box, and go ride up a mountain, if your buying Deore you are probably less fit than a purchaser of XTR so you tailor for the market. It may come as a surprise to hear that people ride up hills these days

Bikes in my shed:

SS – Shimano Hone, Goldtec, On-one, KMC,
    1×8 – Shimano DuraAce shifter, XT mech, Sugino, Superstar, SRAM, KMC,
    1×10 – XTR shifter, SLX mech, RaceFace, Absolute black, Shimano, KMC.
    2×9 – microshift thumbies, XT mech, XT, KMC, Shimano, KMC

Now, in the Weighted Groupset Scoring System, the 1×8 road bike with it’s XT/Dura Ace combo would seem to make the fittest when I ride it, but the bike itself isn’t very good at going up mountains, unless they’re paved, which I guess plenty are. But it was the cheapest (free-est) bike, most of the components have been on several other bikes, and it’s got the least gears…

Too complicated for me, I think I’ll ride the SS tomorrow!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Seems the new 10sp 11/42 Deore cassette is marginally lighter than the 11sp 11/42 XT cassette…hmmm.

Do they make older XTR or XT 10sp shifters I’m I-Spec 2?

simondbarnes

Do they make older XTR or XT 10sp shifters I’m I-Spec 2?

You can still get XTR and XT 10 speed shifters. They’re standard mount or i-spec b though.

km79
    Free Member

I think i-spec 2 only came out with current XT 11 speed

jp-t853

The cassettes have been on eBay for £35 for a while now. Highonbikes sell them. They do look good

P-Jay
    Free Member

You can still get XTR and XT 10 speed shifters. They’re standard mount or i-spec b though.

That’s a shame, I’d happily drop to 10sp with the same range. I wept a little at the price of my XT cassette (I suspect I’ll never ‘go’ Eagle ha ha).

kimbers

Deore is so good (ok it’s a bit porky) that 11speed is going to eat into slx and even xt sales.

Unlike the lower end Sram stuff deore is robust and reliable, they have to differentiate it somehow

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

2 x 10 is where it’s at folks.

kelvin

I’m off to eBay…

cookeaa

because it’s a budget groupset

I’d say it’s more “mid range” with ‘alivio’ and ‘altus’ Sat below it sporting even fewer cogs on the back…

As to why it’s still “only” 10 speed?
    Well it’s the same reason Tiagra is, perfectly adequate group, if you want more clicks you pay for 105/ultegra/dura ace…
    This is hardly a new idea.

You should be able to stretch a 10 speed mech round a 40/42t Sunrace cassette.
    And if you absolutely need it SLX will let you turn it up to…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll stick with Shimano, Sram has always been unreliable crap.

Always makes me laugh, the 3000km on the GX11sp tells a different story, it’s been faultless all the way for me, once the GX level is out it’s a good solid product it’s popular around here and coming on a lot of bikes. It seems to outlast the shimano here too.

Anyway it’s 10sp because they reckon they can sell it happily, it’s got the same range as some of their 11sp anyway.

daern
    Free Member

Picked up an M8000 XT 1×11 transmission groupset from CRC for £230 earlier this year for my son’s bike. Have since swapped cranks for SRAM NX (155mm Vs 170mm) but otherwise it’s been flawless. And I mean that literally – it’s not been touched since it left the garage, not even a cable adjust.

Not sure why you’d buy Deore if you can get XT at this price :-/

trusty

The new cassette is available for £35 on line…

sharkattack

Deore will be standard fitment on bikes for people who think 30 gears is a massive upgrade over 27 gears. Which was enough of an upgrade to get them off their old 21 speed. People who would have no idea what you lot are waffling on about in this thread but would be able to wheelie all the way to the chip shop.

flyingmonkeycorps

The cassettes have been on eBay for £35 for a while now. Highonbikes sell them. They do look good

I saw those, but they’re advertised as HG500 (which I think is Tiagra?) rather than M6000. Tbh if they have the correct number of teeth I’m not that fussed!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘That new Deore group set’ is closed to new replies.