Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • That new Cotic Rocket
  • elpuko
    Free Member

Looks wise not sure. The top tube/seat tube on the large frame looks like a right angle in the photo which does make it look like a gate.

The small looks great though. I’d love to demo a complete bike.

butcher

Large looks hideous.

The small looks surprisingly good. It’s hard to believe it’s the same bike.

bikebert
    Free Member

Quick question: what is the size of rear shock?
    Can one order the frame only, with no shock?
    Have you tested it with CCDB?

ahwiles
    Free Member

Large looks hideous.

show me a large 26er which doesn’t…

nickhart
    Free Member

It makes me chuckle some of the comments on here. Having sat down with Cy for curry and beer and also having done some 3d stuff for the man I know how much soul searching and research and plain thought he’s put into the rocket.
    It’s possibly the only time I’d publicly agree with brant but Cy is out there when it comes to attention to detail and research.
    The small looks the dogs, the big looks big! As for the ride, a friend has ordered one on the back of doing some development riding on one of the test bikes and for him to part with cash it must be good.
    I don’t hear people knocking trek or specialized when they make fugly, but then they’re huge faceless corporations who don’t pop up on stw to voice an opinion or ask/answer questions so they can make their products better.
    Just my ten penneth.

singletrackmatt

Ok. As one of the Journalists there – I can tell you it was Curbar in the Peaks and not the med (the weather was amazing though!) and I rode a medium Rocket – I’ve already given my brief take on the first ride on the front page , but for a first ride i was impressed with how well it rode, it’s a very nice thought out modern full susser that happens to be made in Steel , very specifically, that particular model in terms of travel and usage that Cy had in mind for the bike is made in steel as it weighs a very similar amount to an Aluminium frame built for the same use by other Manufacturers .

Aesthetics are entirely subjective thing anyway so I’m not going to comment on what other people think about the look of it , except try and see one in the flesh before you make your mind up.

Finally neither Jenn or myself hit there Calves on any pointy bits .

A more long term test coming soon.

hora
    Free Member

I think its lovely that Cy come on here and discusses things.
    I do find it amazing that Coogan, SBrock , Gary Lager and others can be quite so rude about things that fine honest people have crafted.

I mean, this is Cy. His own money. His own time. No big corporation.

It’s just seems really rude.

Would it be better to throw ALOT of money into the mix/advertising, sponsored events, teams of sales people or simple stand at the coalface and hear feedback direct from your intended market?

In general folks, knowing the man or not, part of the design process isn’t about design, modelling, factory liason etc- its what potential customers say and how the product is received by the general public.

At the end of the day you aren’t making a masterpiece for a small handful of friends you are hoping for commercial success with the customer (who is and will always remain King).

Or are you too niche to listen to them? 🙄

No one in anyway is slagging Cy off. Its feedback. Butt out and stop the faux-defending. Its a product. Let the product fight its corner.

cy

Thanks for the kind words people. Much appreciated.

To whoever asked, it’s 200×57, we haven’t tested it with a CCDB, but we can work you out a price without a shock. We’ve just sorted out a price on a BOS Stoy though, which will be £1655. There will be a lead time though as the shocks will have to be built to order by BOS.

hora
    Free Member

Sorry I don’t mean to come across as rude 😀 but you can’t just promote products on a forum and expect a form of sycophancy can you guys? Every product goes through changes, updates and mid-life revisions etc etc.

cy

I don’t expect anything particularly, which is why all the nice things people have said are lovely. Quite surprised how upset people are getting about a 8mm x 2mm piece of steel, but apart from that it’s just peoples’ opinions, eh?

crocodilian
    Free Member

For the record – as I know you all care – I think the Rocket looks spot-on but I’m more than happy with my fantastic BFe for the time being!
    Sycophantic enough?

bikeytom
    Free Member

Are there any plans for a complete bike option? Or maybe frame and forks or rolling chassis? The bike looks fantastic but without any suitable parts in my shed a build could get costly!

cy

We’ve looked at completes recently, but we just can’t buy in big enough quantities to make the price anything much less that you’d manage on your own with a bit of shopping around, and we struggle on the bits you do – forks and brakes. Plus, the financial risk to us of having to buy in quantity for making virtually the same profit as just selling frames (which is pretty much what it works out as) isn’t sensible. As one of my uni lecturers once told me – Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.

You have to be buying 100’s or 1000’s to get pricing that would make sense with us having to assemble them and then dealer margins as well. We keep an eye on it, but we still sell less than 1000 units per year total across all product lines, and are comfortable at this level too, so I can’t see that changing unless one of the major suppliers wants to get all philanthropic on us 😉

hora
    Free Member

Sycophantic enough?

Slightly glib of me but its the ‘I know the bloke and…’ stuff.

Sorry- its a product. Your not insulting the man, his wife and his Linage FFS! Yes, to a degree it is the labours of the man but its part of the products lifecycle…its reception, praise, critism etc.. 😛

kudos100
    Free Member

I hope they bring a 100mm travel version out. Theres not really much on the market at the moment in terms of short travel play bikes (apart from 4x bikes, but they’re too small and catn be ridden up hill easily)

Even though you are an old man who rides tourers, occasionally you do speak sense 😀

I’d imagine a 100mm travel version with cotic geometry would be a winner.

Recently, I tried to buy a frame with 4 inches of travel, a 69 deg head angle and a long enough seat tube…………..couldn’t find one easily and ended up with a frame that is no longer made.

wwaswas

I’d imagine a 100mm travel version with cotic geometry would be a winner.

Have a look at Cy’s twitter stream from a couple of weeks back and then smile…

bikebert
    Free Member

Yet another question: can I get Rocket frame with no bottle mount?
    Sorry, but it offends my aesthetic taste 🙂

cy

Sorry Bikebert, all frames have bottle mounts. We don’t do fittings options. We’re a small brand, not a custom builder. As we’ve found over the years, preferences on frame fittings are like arseholes…… 😉

johnj2000
    Free Member

I m hoping to pick up my small, bright orange Rocket on Sat. keeping the build within budget was a challenge as I wanted certain parts which just cost lots. I don’t think i have made any daft compromises and will let you all know what it’s like to fall off one soon.

Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘That new Cotic Rocket’ is closed to new replies.