Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • That nearly hurt a lot – mamil/motorcycle interface
  • convert

It’s been a while since I’ve had a near death cycle incident so I guess I was due one…

Pedalling along in my best mamil lycra on a nice south downs back road – one of those those twisty roads going nowhere in particular with high hedges either side and a lane marking in the middle but if two cars meet they take a little intake of breath as they go past as it’s a bit snug. I am just coming up to the apex of a long tightish left hander (tight enough to be blind, open enough to take fast) when I hear a high pitched whine of a sports bike engine from behind. You know when you hear an engine and you just know they are on the limit – well like that and then some. I moved over a few inches closer to the edge and cringed with nowhere to go then half a second later – thunk…..it must have been his shoulder that caught my upper arm. An IOM TT wannabe in full white leathers and matching bike. He must have been going over 90mph and in reality it was only a brush with my arm but a brush with a closing speed of 70mph still delivers quite a punch.

He must have made a big course alteration (I guess he was aiming to clip the apex – just I was there too) to only brush me as he went into a full tank slapper speed wobble. Christ knows how he kept it upright and on the tarmac – if a car had come the other way he’d have been toast. Obviously he didn’t stop and check I was alright – fortunately I stayed upright.

The hardest bit of the whole experience was getting back in control and waiting for his 6 mates to go past as there was no where to hide. Hearing the engines and cringing. Fortunately they were riding a bit more sensibly – I guess that’s why he was out in front.

I think keeping my ears open and my little last minute shimmy left saved me today – doggedly sticking to my rights and riding primary and I think I would have been typing this from the morgue. Off to wash my shorts.

scaredypants

😯 – well played !

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup, well handled

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dannyh
    Free Member

I presume the bastard didn’t stop, then?

Why/how people think it is Ok to act like this is beyond me.

If you want to ride/drive on the limit, book a track day – otherwise stick to fantasizing in the mirror where you can’t hurt anyone else.

Idiots.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yip, Sunday means nobs out on qualifying laps of the Hampshire lanes.

One day it’ll end in a massive mess.

But your ok, at least you peddled home.

aP
    Free Member

2 weeks ago after having just crossed into France from Switzerland we happened across the results of a fast motorbike on a road with limited visibility.
    One man sitting in the drivers seat of his family saloon, not moving, burning much as his car was. A motorcyclist lying in a heap on the road amongst pieces of his motorbike, most of which were also burning.
    So – 2 fatalities, due to motor biking too fast – there was nothing we could do, the Pompiers had been called, and were on their way.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Glad you’re ok, OP.

aP – why do you think the car was on fire? Sounds unusual….contents of bike tank into the car cabin?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Bloody hate those stupid sports bikes. Always assume most of the riders have not ridden for months (tend to only ride when it’s sunny and on a weekend). Therfore usually inexperienced and have watched too much IOM footage.

Edit – glad you are OK OP

hammyuk
    Free Member

aP – dont automatically assume it was the bikers fault – I’ve seen first hand the same thing because the car driver was where they shouldn’t have been and the biker died.
    Looks identical until the crash investigation is done and/or camera footage is viewed.

dannyh
    Free Member

dont automatically assume it was the bikers fault

Maybe not, but it certainly was in the OP.

bedmaker

Good call OP, sometimes you just know it’s time to abandon primary rights and shift out the way! Usually it’s a screaming engine or chirping rubber that does it..

I took a run to Ullapool yesterday, on what is now the NC500. Absolutely stuffed with groups of bikes.
    Why do bikers in groups have to ride so dickishly? Saw some scary riding in wet windy conditions.

aP
    Free Member

Don’t know, but I’ve seen it before about 23 years ago, motorbike car head on. Car burning, little pieces of motorbikers, 3 dead.
    That was definitely the motorbiker’s fault they were going so far above the speed limit on their way past us.

corroded
    Free Member

That was a near-death experience – good thinking on your part. I would imagine that you will be playing out ‘what-ifs’ in your mind for some time to come.
    What road in Hampshire / W Sussex were you on? (So I know to be aware)? I had thought that with the decreased visibility on the B-roads down here (compared to those in Wales, Scotland and the north) we weren’t as susceptible to the stupid moves by motorbikers.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Shame he didn’t crash and die TBH.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Harsh.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just testing the water 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

I suspect the rider went home much slower than he come out this morning after that near miss.

Sadly, it’s all too common in my bit of Hampshire (he southern bit, but we have the A32 which runs N/S from Fareham to M3 junction at Basingstoke) and it’s the A32 and the E/W A272 that bikers use as a race track. There are far too many villages on both roads, all with 50-40-30mph signs on but bikers see both the villages and speed signs as chicanery and target to ride through at double/triple the speed.

I want them to stop it, I want them to go play in the moors of northern Scotland (sorry Scotland) or better still a race track.

I’ve complained before to the Police about the bikers arrogance and riding antics, thankfully there are now moves a foot to do something about the antisocial behaviour we face.. but it’s taking too long for that to happen IMO.

dovebiker

Due to austerity we have non-existent traffic policing in this part of the country anymore and certain factions thinks it gives them free reign to behave like d!cks – the other type of MAMIL – Middle Aged Man In Leathers can often be abbreviated to POD – Potential Organ Donor.

convert

What road in Hampshire / W Sussex were you on?

Belmore Lane/Stakes lane travelling East towards Corehampton and the A32. Not a million miles from Loomies Moto Cafe which is a biker honey pot.

mattbee

Just as bad a bit further West around Harting, Goodwood, Chichester area where I normally ride but with the added frisson of danger from fast cars using the roads as a racetrack on their way to/from Goodwood.

dannyh
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    Shame he didn’t crash and die TBH.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #
    Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Harsh.

POSTED 57 MINUTES AGO #
    davidtaylforth – Member
    Just testing the water

POSTED 55 MINUTES AGO #

That’s more like it, harking back to a golden age where trolling was a real art. Stake out the ground, a few tentative probes, only show your hand when guaranteed to get a bite.

Ninfan, Chewie et al, take note. Mr Taylforth is a seasoned pro – not like you clowns!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not too far from Sailor’s Lane, one of my cat4 climbs of late, must admit I’ve yet to see a motorbike up there and hardly seen any cars. Sounds scary, that dodge towards the verge at the last moment saved you from a far worse accident.

sandboy

Very glad you’re still here to tell us about it OP!! Reading this has got me thinking again about getting a Go pro type camera for the road bike because if anything did happen to me at least the evidence would be there so my family would know exactly what happened.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

MrKmkII
    Free Member

OP – glad you’re ok, and aP – sorry you had to see that. I’d have nightmares for weeks no doubt.

Old biker friend told me about the illegal motorcycle races they used to have on Welsh Lane, Oxon – people would volunteer and wear orange tabards and stop traffic entering the road… So at least there was some element of safety. Went on for quite some time until the police stopped it, apparently.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Lots of bikers in Hawes today….both kinds actually cos the white Rose Challenge was on. Bikers with illegal race cans on spoiling the feel of the place for everyone else….

weeksy

Bikers with illegal race cans on spoiling the feel of the place for everyone else….

What about the people who love the sound of race cans ?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

They should wear earphones that simulate the sound like a new BMW :p

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘That nearly hurt a lot – mamil/motorcycle interface’ is closed to new replies.