Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • That Mondraker Enduro- anyone going?
  • johnny

So I’m contemplating going on the upcoming Mondraker Enduro next weekend on Exmoor; I like the riding in those parts, and i fancy a go at this newfangled Enduro lark.

Have been planning it with a friend of mine who lives pretty locally, but he’s just been forcibly reminded that he’s off on holiday that weekend, and other prospective riding buddies have shuffled off with lame excuses.

Who’s going then?

orena45

Yep, heading up Friday eve with a couple of riding mates! Should be good…not sure if the weather is going to play nice though.

stevede
    Free Member

I’m going, really looking forward to it, it will be my first gravity enduro event – first race of any kind really so just hoping not to come last and enjoy some riding in an unfamiliar part of the sw with a couple of like minded mates.

stevede
    Free Member

^^^ lol beat me to it Andy : )

johnny

Good stuff, whereabouts are you coming down from? I’m in South Oxon, near Reading. I thought the weather looked ok? I’m planning to turn up Saturday morning, unless there’s anything on the night before?

stevede
    Free Member

We’re heading up from west Cornwall fri night to camp there fri and sat night, we checked on the Facebook page and this is fine to do. Saves doing the journey up Saturday. Fingers crossed the weather is kind to us – more for camping than the riding!

orena45

Friday’s looking like a bit of light rain, but looking pretty breezy. Hopefully that’ll be all!

supersaiyan
    Free Member

Yup, I’m coming down with some Brizzle peeps and the PedalProgression.com crew. Watch for me inadvertently pulling my sex face over the technical bits and getting it wrong braking too hard and too late into every corner in the timed sections 🙂

andylux
    Free Member

I’m not going as I have a two year with both legs in plaster and a 16 week old.

Truly gutted that I’m not as two of my favourite things are gonna be there: Exmoor Gold Ale and the legend Fabien Barel.

dropoff

If you haven’t ridden Exmoor before you should enjoy it. The two timed sections are chalk and cheese, cats Scramble is v fast singletrack through woods with big drop rh side and Hurlstone combe is wide open grassy with the beech 150feet below as a run out 🙂

johnny

All sounds good. I last rode Exmoor on an early 00’s Rockhopper with V-brakes, when it was still a fairly new bike, so I don’t remember much. I know there’s endless potential for debate over “what bike”, but i’ll be on a 160-ish full suss. Overkill?

dropoff

Not if you can pedal it uphill ok 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

I have the choice of a spesh enduro or a cx bike so I think over biked it is : )

dropoff

Deffo not the cx bike

johnny

it’ll go up hill, as long as the force is with me… I will need to give that Barel chappie a bit of respite on the climbs anyway. 😉

stevede
    Free Member

I’m happy climbing on my enduro to enjoy the downs. Would be disappointed if it was achievable on the cx bike!

orena45

I’ll be on my 140mm filing cabinet 😀

supersaiyan
    Free Member

Stupid question: is this a 2 helmet jobbie or are we ok without full-facers?

stevede
    Free Member

I’m not taking my full face, your call i suppose but a xc/trail style lid is what i’d expect most to be wearing.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

Not mandated then, like them there super enduros in Italy or French land?

johnny

Thread bump- any idea what time is the latest for seeding on the Saturday? I have a social on Friday and a lie in would be schweeeet….

stevede
    Free Member

The email I got from British cycling yesterday says to get a run on stage one between 12 and 5pm so you should have sufficient time to shake off the hangover!

orena45

A bit of a taster…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTMskBmFuKU[/video]

orena45

Just realised there’s a bit more info on the Shred site about the weekend, on top of what’s been said in the recent email…see Here

flyingmonkeycorps

Going by that video, I have now raised my excitement level a notch 😀

Northwind

supersaiyan – Member

Not mandated then, like them there super enduros in Italy or French land?

That’s the sort of thing they’d need to be mentioning in big big letters. Even if they’d like it to be mandatory, it’s not going to happen now.

xc-steve
    Free Member

I’ll be there mopping up all lost body parts from the track on the Sunday afternoon and marshalling on Saturday. Make sure you say hi… I’ll be the one in my stupid trademark aviators.

flyingmonkeycorps

If I crash ‘cos I’m waving at the guy in aviators I’m going to be most upset 😉

xc-steve
    Free Member

Don’t worry ride on and I’ll bring your lost limbs to the finish.

flyingmonkeycorps

Will you sew them back on too? In the right places?

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Looking forward to seeing all of you there guys. We’ve booked some good weather, the trails are apparently riding perfectly and Exmoor Ale are geared up ready so its set to be a great weekend!

stevede
    Free Member

Well then, that was an amazing weekend, thanks to all that made it happen. The stages were really good fun and the climbs brutal but worth it for the downs. Only downside for me personally was getting stuck behind someone who wasn’t keen to let me past on the last stage for about 2/3 of the run, oh and I was riding with a bent pedal axle from earlier in the run too which made pedalling feel a bit strange lol! fingers crossed it goes ahead next year, top drawer weekend.

johnny

Ironically, having started this thread, i couldn’t go in the end…! Grrr.

Hope it wasn’t too fantastic!? Actually, i hope it was, and then there will be another one, and more! 😉

orena45

Aye, that was one of the best biking event weekends I’ve had, if not the best!

I’ll definitely be back next year if it’s on 😀

wavejumper
    Free Member

Absolutely ace. Had the best weekend ever. Top drawer. Got a puncture on the last stage though. GRRRRRR.

stevede
    Free Member

So glad they included the non timed stage, that was an awesome descent, well worth the disgustingly dirty climb to get to it!

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

We had a great time doing it and were stoked that so many people got into the spirit and really enjoyed themselves.

Hope some of you managed to get some prizes?

Cheers

Richie

RockStorm
    Free Member

Great weekend guys! Really good atmosphere and top choice of descents!

When can we see results?! I wanna know how I got on yesterday but heard there might have been issues with timing…?

FatMandy
    Free Member

Loved the whole weekend, thanks & well done to everybody involved.

Managed to win the drunken skidding competition and walk away with new bag & helmet, so to go with the free brake pads and pint it was £35 well spent!

I’ll sign up for next year as soon as you announce it!

I’ve got two bits of feedback;

1. I’d love to have seen the results yesterday before leaving. It seems odd to leave the event without knowing the full results.

2. I nearly cried when I got back from the loop on Sunday and the bar had left!

Taff

orena45

Results are up on the Shred site. Stage 2 results have been discounted for everyone due a timing problem, as not everyone’s got recorded apparently.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘That Mondraker Enduro- anyone going?’ is closed to new replies.