Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • That irrational "want" ….. Stupid N+1
  • letmetalktomark

I have a couple of bikes.

One of my current bikes is a Genesis Fortitude Adventure with an 8 speed Alfine hub.

I would like (want) a SS 29er.

The simplest thing to do would be use a spare wheel (that I have) and swap out the Alfine from the Genesis.

I know this is the sensible route, you know this is the right route but yet I find myself looking at 29er SS specific bikes.

Stupid irrational want.

composite
    Free Member

I want a fat bike. 😕

…in fact just a ride on a fat bike would do.

Duane…
    Free Member

I’m selling both my bikes, and buying one (well, I’ve sold one, and bought the other, so still have one to sell).

Wonder how long that will last… (already know I want a roadbike)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hugor
    Free Member

I struggle with the n+1 urge.
    Experience has taught me that the drive does not go away until the purchase is made.
    You can suppress it only for so long but it always wins.
    I hate it.

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – do you have a fat bike yet?

n+2… 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

Strictly speaking I don’t have N+1. I have the more specific version of F+1, I want to replace the frame on my FS bike.

garage-dweller

I want n =1. Short travel (and lightish probably 29r) hardtail with rack mounts to cope with child seats.

Fed up of falling over bikes and having so many spares kicking around.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Garage-dweller Out! Out now 😉

And don’t come back until you’ve corrected this wrongful thinking 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

Post Reported.

g-d a post like that has no place on this forum. Everybody knows you need more bikes not less!

Mods please delete that filth!

anotherstan
    Free Member

… (already know I want a roadbike)

wierdo!

garage-dweller

Was it the 29r thing? I think I’d quite like it to be non-niche perhaps a Specialized would be good. 😛

I should say I have NEVER succeeded in reducing my bike count (currently 5 built) and a stripped frame!

I haven’t sold a bike since 1999 and one dates back to 1993.

Edit… I also know if I ever got to n=1 that I would start accumulating more bikes within a year or so. How do you think i got 6 to start with?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I already know I DON’T WANT AN Empire MX-6, it would be completely unsuited to the South Downs……..

Must resist…..

adyp
    Free Member

I’m in the process of building a house that will have a 100 square metre workshop in the basement. How many n+1s will I be able to have there before I get found out?

Saccades
    Free Member

composite +1

I_Ache
    Free Member

Adyp you need to get a build thread going for that house build! Sounds great.

MoreCashThanDash

n+1 is sooo last year.

I have a 26″ wheel hardtail, a carbon road bike and a hybrid for commuting.

I want:

a Ti audax bike
    a Geneses Day One for commuting
    a SS roadbike for filthy winter road rides
    a 29er

It appears n+4 is where it’s at – for this week, at least 🙄

freeagent
    Free Member

adyp – Member
    I’m in the process of building a house that will have a 100 square metre workshop in the basement. How many n+1s will I be able to have there before I get found out?

We need to see picks of this – souns awesome!

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m all in favour of n+1, but the the bikes need to be different enough to be distinct I think. (That’s still a judgement call of course).

I’d buy the extra wheel first and fit it to the Fortitude. Then if you find yourself frequently swapping the wheels, build your new SS around that wheel!

rOcKeTdOg

i’m lacking
    a fat bike
    a FS 29er

some money to buy them and a place to keep them 😥

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I’m n+1 where n=5 and 1=fat bike, I know I’ll never use it as much as I would in my mind 🙄

Edit that: n=2, I ‘need’ a Surly Krampus also

Vortexracing

I have a 140MM Turner 5 Spot, a Cotic Soul that can be used for Trail or racing, a all rounder roadbike and a SS Kona Unit. (all 26″)

Please tell me why I have an irrantional want for

a 29″ hardtail (I’m only 5ft 4″ as well)
    a CX Bike and
    a Nice summer only Carbon roadbike?

jonstanley
    Free Member

I’m itching for an off-road tandem… 😐 😳

adyp
    Free Member

@freeagent

wilco roger! driving past it shortly so will take a few snaps. the beauty of building on a slope is that the sous-sol (cellar) effectively comes for free as you have to dig the ground out anyway. I’m already planning out the power points for my ski and bike workstations!

@ I-Ache

Certainly i’m interested in build stuff advice but it’s mostly done now. Doing electric/alarm/music/data and plumbing layouts now. Costs are spiralling upwards but better fitted now than later.

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

i tell you whats worse than the n+1 feeling of wanting but not yet having, and thats the empty feeling you get when you have just finished a spree of bike building and you cant really envisage what you could possibly want to build next. its like a horrible vaccuum, randomly scrolling through classifieds without any purpose, having nothing whatsoever in your ebay watch list. grim.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘That irrational "want" ….. Stupid N+1’ is closed to new replies.