Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • That ICEdot thing in Fresh Goods.
  • wwaswas

Just what us solo ‘not too far from home but far enough’ riders have been waiting for.

http://www.2pure.co.uk/our-brands/icedot/

doesn’t look like it’s available to buy yet, though?

bruneep

Assuming you can get a signal.

Given the amount of times I’m on my arse, not sure I could be bothered rummaging in my bag to stop the countdown to thunderbirds being mobilised to save me.

Drac

You could just put a sticker with your name and contact details of a relative on any helmet.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theotherjonv

that assumes someone finds you. The ICEdot thing connects via bluetooth to your phone, and if you aren’t responsive to its signal, automatically phones for help, together with a gps position.

bikeneil
    Free Member

You could just put a sticker with your name and contact details of a relative on any helmet

^ this ^ is what I do. And, it’s quite a bit cheaper than icedot.

wwaswas

Drac – friend of mine was unconscious on the South Downs for 3 hours from about 7pm one evening in July before he was found by chance by a couple out for an evening walk as the weather was warm. He was unconscious for 2 days and is just completing his return to work now.

They didn’t have any trouble identifying him when he was found but if he’d done the same in January he’d probably not have been found until the morning – I doubt he’d have survived.

I have just noticed it’s currently iOs only – hopefully an Android version will be out soon.

[edit] mobile reception around Brighton is pretty good – there’s very few dead spots in places I ride and he was only about 300 yards from the nearest houses.

Drac

Ah wait I see it detects impacts then decides to start counting down before sending a signal. Not a bad idea I suppose wonder how well it works.

Pukeko
    Free Member

$150 so it’ll be at least £100 quid when available, hmmm, great idea tho…

willard

If it’s reliant on the user’s mobile phone signal, then I’m stuffed if I take it with me up somewhere like the Brecon Beacons. Was there last week and had zero signal the whole time I was on SENTA and Pen Y Fan, only getting a normal return to service when I crossed back into England.

I am on 3 though…

wwaswas

I think for remoter locations a Spot Tracker with their emergency add on that people can use to ping the device and see if you’ve moved is probably still a better bet.

For local rides this looks a bit cheaper and also triggers automatically if you’re immobilized after an impact.

njee20
    Free Member

What if you finish the ride then chuck your helmet in the back of the car?

ojom
    Free Member

Hey all

We (2pure) have this in stock in the warehouse and has been shipping to our dealers.

Just get in touch with your bike shop and get them to order you one if you like. The Crash Sensor retails at £139 and is compatible with iPhone 4s/5. Android should be on line soon once they sort out the Bluetooth stuff.

If you have any queries on it’s operation you can see more detail on https://icedot.org/site/

Cheers

portlyone

Think the local cell signal can be boosted if it’s and emergency, wonder if this is capable of doing this?

MadBillMcMad

I have a ‘find my phone’ app installed on my phone.

If I am unduely late my better half just has to text ‘locate’ to my phone & she (& I) gets an email with a google map of my location.

quite useful for finding the phone too.

AlexSimon

willard – in theory, if it’s an emergency call, you can use any network.
    That should help in quite a lot of situations.

MSP

willard – in theory, if it’s an emergency call, you can use any network.

I don’t think it is, it is alerting friends and families, not the emergency services directly (from my understanding) the networks have no way of knowing if it is an emergency situation or not.

Drac

Unless the countdown clock is stopped, the app will then notify your emergency contacts and send GPS coordinates of the incident so that appropriate follow up actions can be taken.

Yup sends it to dedicated numbers rather than 999 which is more sensible should reduce the risk of false alarms.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Currently on the Cyclestore newsletter at £139

muggomagic

This gizmo looks pretty clever.

I did a similar emergency thing in Tasker (available on google play) where if my GPS position didn’t move for >30mins then it would send a text to my mrs with my co-ordinates. I just pressed a widget which set it on.

She knows the co-ordinates for White Horse, Steyning, the Red Lion, Shoreham and The Bridge Inn, Shoreham off by heart now.

shortcut

Curious to know how folk think a sticker on their helmet is going to call their relatives when they are incapacitated in a ditch in the dark in the middle of no where with no one to find you.

I think it is a great idea for those who ride alone in the dark in unpopulated areas.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I already have a Garmin Edge 810 and a phone Garmin Live Tracking sends out my position as I go (phone signal permitting).

wwaswas

I think the advantage of this (and the one that muggomagic mentions) is that it still works with no monitoring by a third party.

The phone initiates the text as soon as it’s needed – it doesn’t rely on someone thinking ‘I wonder where X is he should have been back hours ago?’ and looking them up on a web page mapping thing only to find they were knocked out 10 minutes into a 4 hour ride?

tom.nash

Free app called ‘Stay Safe’ works; set a countdown going, sends an email to the nominated contact, activates an alert if not cancelled before countdown finishes.

AlexSimon

MSP – Member
    I don’t think it is, it is alerting friends and families, not the emergency services directly (from my understanding) the networks have no way of knowing if it is an emergency situation or not.

Ah – I get you.

scotroutes

Phone battery life is the sticking point for me (well, signal availability too). It’ll need the Bluetooth radio to he on and that will deplete the phone battery even quicker. Should be ok for short rides I guess.

Spot Gen3 is available next month at £135 for the hardware, though you do also need to subscribe to the service. As a stand-alone, long-battery life unit, it ticks more of my boxes.

wwaswas

does the spot have a ‘send an alert if I stop moving’ feature?

I think that, for me, this is the crucial thing.

Relying on someone to notice I’ve not been around for a bit may mean delays.

I keep coming back to my mate but he lived alone and it was a Friday night. It could have been Monday when he didn’t start work before he was missed.

chipps

We’re just charging up the Ice Dot thing and having a go. You do need to activate it by finding the Dot before each ride and launching the app too. So far it can tell the difference between ‘jumping up and down’ and ‘helmet dropped onto the ground’. It does need a jolt to trigger it, but then anything sudden enough to knock you out will trigger it. And if you’ve ‘merely’ broken your leg, you can always just smack your head on the ground anyway. 🙂

It can send whatever text you want though, so it’s probably best to use set up with a friend/partner. They should know where you’re going and they’re the one to get the alert. You need to make sure you agree what the next move is then – Mountain Rescue, or whatever. They also need to have their phone one and with them…

It does need a phone signal though (and the instructions imply a data connection too, but I’m trying to work out if and why that’s the case…)

Review in a bit when we’ve had a good play with it.

muggomagic

If anyone wants the code for the emergency alert for tasker then let me know (email in profile) You’ll need an android handset probably with relatively up to date OS and to download tasker from google play I think it’s about £4 and keeping in mind everything you can do with tasker it’s worth every penny.
    Just remember to hit the toggle widget when you get to the pub.

Olly
    Free Member

i just bought one of these for my camelback. To cover and reinforce a hole/rip

£2.75

philfive
    Free Member

I have a ‘find my phone’ app installed on my phone.
    If I am unduely late my better half just has to text ‘locate’ to my phone & she (& I) gets an email with a google map of my location.
    quite useful for finding the phone too.

Madmike

What app is that?

asterix
    Free Member

it is possible to text the emergency services on 112 if you register your phone for that service, so you could get it to do that instead of relying on someone else to do it for you

ratherbeintobago

the instructions imply a data connection too

Disappointing if so, I’d be interested in buying as I usually ride solo but often in areas where there’s a voice signal but not usually even GRPS.

Drac

it is possible to text the emergency services on 112 if you register your phone for that service, so you could get it to do that instead of relying on someone else to do it for you

Problem with that is if they’re false alarms a response will be dispatched.

Sui
    Free Member

This idea is nothing new and to be quite frank well away from industrial type devices which have Sims installed. Baring in mind it works on a mercury type switch, it will be useless for mtb due to the impact and sudden movements you do when out on the bike.

GavinB

We’ve been using the Find Friends app on iOS (which should really be called ‘Stalker App’), with only the two of us able to see where each other is. Useful for seeing if I’m stuck in traffic, stuck up a hill or grabbing a pint on the way to pick up a takeaway…

It has its limitations, but seems to work pretty well across most of the Lakes, Dales and even southern Highlands. Oh, and its free.

asterix
    Free Member

it will be useless for mtb due to the impact and sudden movements you do when out on the bike.

nothing like informed comment is there! well done sui, why not just rubbish it before you’ve even seen it –

iolo
    Free Member

Road id is like a posh version of a sticker. Looks nicer too.

Drac

It has its limitations, but seems to work pretty well across most of the Lakes, Dales and even southern Highlands. Oh, and its free.

Network dependent.

DrP

I have my smartphone automatically updating my STRAVA runs as I go, and I’ve put my wife’s number as the ‘default’ text number.
    She typically expects 10-14 “well done DrP, you’re the new KOM” messages every ride.
    If this doesn’t occur, the only possible explanation is I’m dying in a ditch, and as such my band of followers are released, and they ususally sniff me out in a few hours…

Probably.

DrP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘That ICEdot thing in Fresh Goods.’ is closed to new replies.