Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • That house fire where 6 people were killed over the weekend…
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Turns out the fridge was another Beko.

😥

wwaswas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14025550

Up to 500,000 fridge freezers could be posing serious fire risks in homes and businesses across the country, the London Fire Brigade (LFB) has warned.

If there’s half a million affected appliances then the manufacturers ought to be paying for every house int he UK to get some sort of written warning about this if not a visit from someone explaining the problem – it’s Russian roulette with peoples lives at the moment.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If there’s half a million affected appliances then the manufacturers ought to be paying for every house int he UK to get some sort of written warning about this if not a visit from someone explaining the problem – it’s Russian roulette with peoples lives at the moment.

Yep I agree. Although to be fair if I had one it would have been binned immediately when this issue became apparent.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Good god no. If it’s the fridge, could it get any worse for the family? Shockingly unbelieveable.

spacemonkey

This might do for Beko what the Prius braking issue did for Toyota.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

This might do for Beko what the Prius braking issue did for Toyota.

I would hope so – they have been shocking in their reaction to the KNOWN problem.

druidh
    Free Member

I’d never even heard of the issue until I saw this thread. Just checked our Beko and it’s not one of the affected models.

TBH – I’m not sure what sort of response the manufacturers can make to get it more widely known. Does everyone register all their appliances when they buy them? I haven’t bought a newspaper in years, so anything in that would have gone straight by me.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Yep I agree. Although to be fair if I had one it would have been binned immediately when this issue became apparent.

And if you didn’t know about it?
    I have a beko fridge in my rented flat and this is the first I’ve heard of it. The manufacturer needs to be making this known.

jon1973
    Free Member

We had a letter and several phone calls about it. Our fridge wasn’t on the ‘at risk’ list, but they did seem to make the effort contact us.

I have a beko fridge in my rented flat and this is the first I’ve heard of it.

If the fridge came with the flat then that down to your landlord, he may well have been contacted.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We had a letter and several phone calls about it. Our fridge wasn’t on the ‘at risk’ list, but they did seem to make the effort contact us.

Fair enough. I wonder if the family affected over the weekend had been contacted? Of course there could be many reasons why they could have one and not be traceable (ie, it could have been given to them by a friend).

phil.w
    Free Member

have a beko fridge in my rented flat and this is the first I’ve heard of it.

maybe they didn’t write to you because it’s fridge freezers that are the problem?

project
    Free Member

Went to a customers house a few years ago to replace a dor frame and door on the shed, he had had a fridge/freezer fire, luckily he had a hose pipe near by, so managed to keep the flames at bay till the fire brigade arrived,Huge amout of damage to the shed, due to the thick black smoke, burnt palstic, and strangely lumps of meat and chickren partially barbequed on the shelves.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, put a frezzer under the stairs for a customer, and i fitted a smoke alarm above it for him, just to make sure, he thought i was joking when i said freezers can and do catch fire.

toby1

If you have a Beko fridge (or fridge freezer) I’d just bin it and start over – not worth the risk.

andyl
    Free Member

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, put a frezzer under the stairs for a customer, and i fitted a smoke alarm above it for him, just to make sure, he thought i was joking when i said freezers can and do catch fire.

That’s a really good idea.

As for the family – 🙁

Really bad. I don’t have any Beko stuff but will be keeping more of an eye on appliances from now on.

MSP

Don’t get carried away, lots of electrical items can catch fire, both Dell and Sony have had to do recalls on laptop power supplies that could burst into flames.

project
    Free Member

My armstrad tv caught fire a long time ago,

Thing is to have a few smoke alarms fitted round the house, and never take the batteries out.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MSP – I think most people know there is always a risk but in the Beko case, there have been several failures – too many to be acceptable really. And for a whole family to be wiped out because of it is awful.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We have a Beko fridge freezer and read about it on BBC app and on the tv news. Checked and ours isn’t affected so no need to take knee jerk reaction as stated above and binning it.

Bad news for the family, bet they didn’t have smoke alarms though….

Houns

I had a Beko fridge freezer, the ex now has it *crosses fingers*

(joking of course, she has the cats and i don’t want them harmed)

wisepranker
    Free Member

Turns out the fridge was another Beko.

But the Fire Brigade have already ruled out the Beko fridge freezer as being the cause of the blaze. They’re focusing on a second freezer but they don’t know what make or model it is.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23990828-tribute-for-neasden-fire-victims.do

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘That house fire where 6 people were killed over the weekend…’ is closed to new replies.