Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • That drop off at Cwmcarn
  • robinbetts
    Free Member

You know, the one on the DH track where you cross over the road.

Finally decided it was time I should do this on Saturday, so after sitting there for a while watching other people make it look easy, I went for it…

Think I landed both wheels together, but with a bit of a lean to the left. Anyway remember seeing my bike fly over my head and bounce down the hill as I rolled over a few times. No great harm done, but annoyed at my self now, as I know it shouldn’t be that hard, and it’ll take more now to give it another try.

Anyway, i think the biggest think about this one is that there’s not nice easy run up. You come down that shoot and have to keep turning left to take the big drop, and there’s loads of gravel and rocks at the bottom. Not a problem ordinarily, but doesn’t inspire confidence to take the drop.

Any tips on how to overcome this? Please help!

jedi

you were turning into the drop instead of straightening before?

robinbetts
    Free Member

I guess I probably was, although it’s hard to remember! I just know that everytime I roll up to it (and don’t do it), I’m never happy with the approach. Doesn’t seem like there’s enough space to straighten up and think about the drop, rather than still bethinking about the loose corner.

Edit: Tony, if you remember my visit last year, loose corners weren’t my forte!

jedi

is the landing still off camber?

allthegear
    Free Member

The one and only time I’ve been there, I just went over towards the right hand side – it’s not quite so scary there. Maybe start there and make your way left a bit each time??

Rachel

legend
    Free Member

take your run up using just the road instead of the track? Don’t need any speed for that drop, so wouldn’t be too concerned about anything to do with holding speed when turning – as jedi said, just make sure you’ve straightened up when you go off it

backhander
    Free Member

I saw a very impressive DHer a couple of weeks ago, looked mustard popping the jumps on the approach and even he hit the chicken run to the right.

steffybhoy
    Free Member

Any pics of this drop?

robinbetts
    Free Member

The landing is not really off camber if you do hit it straight, but obviously it is if you don’t. It is a much steeper gradient than other drops that I’ve done though consequently when I did go over, it felt a further drop than I was expecting!

Rachel, depending on when you’ve been, the smaller drop on the right has been taken out so you can just roll down. Great for people who don’t want to do drops, but not much good for people trying to build confidence as you say. The right hand side follows the natural lime from the shoot anyway, so doesn’t feature my worst barrier.

legend
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG3anjUAF_M[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRCgaJpX8xE[/video]

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

backhander – that would have been me!

jedi

yeah thats how i remmeber it.
    just straighten as you go over the road. stay in the turnonto the road longer. the run out is off camber turn as i thought too

backhander
    Free Member

paul; spech demo?

cubemeup
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg2ywzDl5kI[/video]

this is the best one iv seen, i now got a metal block on that road drop after my wheel nearly washin out on me a few months ago

Colin-T

even he hit the chicken run to the right.

Its a debatable point as to whether going to the right, hitting the catch berm and then having a better line and carrying more speed into the next section is quicker than going left and trying to hold the high line over the roots (difficult as you can see in the vids above). Me I reckon if you get the left line perfectly then it is quicker but the other line is more of a sure thing.

v10
    Free Member

Its definitely quicker hitting the drop and sticking high over the roots than going round but it does mean sacrificing a little bit of speed in the lefthander beforehand making a later tighter turn to make sure you get the line sorted. Practice it rolling in from the road (to the right of the drop) to begin with as its far easier and once you’ve built up your confidence hit it on the fly 😉

ivantate
    Free Member

Did the guy in the first vid drop it at the end?

Cant really comment as vids tend to make slopes look shallow.

brakes
    Free Member

I actually prefer the right line, it’s more technical and feels good to hit at speed

TheSwede
    Free Member

I’ve nearly gone straight through that fence at the bottom 😀

Diawl
    Free Member

I find straightening up gives you too much speed. Definitely more control aiming for the roots of the tree on the left. Either way, I push the bars out and down slightly and my weight back. I’ve had a few interesting front wheel landings though 😯 usually on my last run when I’m knackered.

Englishmastiff
    Free Member

Ha,ha,
    That first video is me, hadn’t watched that for ages!
    Robin, everyone says this and it sounds really patronising but……It really is easy. As with all these kind of drops, be it 2 foot or 15 foot, a little more speed is your friend. The reason the guy in the other video went over the bars is because he was going too slow. The ground will come up to meet you without you doing anything, try to remember that as you go over the edge. If you ghosted your bike over that drop with no rider, I’ll bet it would land both wheels at the same time , it’s very natural.
    It’s the lack of view that causes people to brake at the last minute which is why it goes wrong, not enough speed.
    In fairness, in the two years since my visit, it has probably got a bit more worn and is a bit higher but this was done on a pitch with 6 inches of travel set hard for the climb up. If you are on a DH rig, you will be fine.

Go back, DON’T sit there watching and thinking, just hit it and get on with the day. Most of my crashes happen when I spend ages getting wound up about a jump I know I can do rather than just doing it!!

Good luck, let us know WHEN, not if you clear it.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

backhander – no, not really, but I was there a couple of weeks ago and that does sound like the sort fo thing I would do!

Englishmastiff
    Free Member

And no, I didn’t drop it, I stopped as we decided to session the jump and get a few vids!!

backhander
    Free Member

That’s a shame paul it really was impressive to watch the boy must have been going 4 times faster than any in the vids above. I’ve since gone out and got myself a fullfacer and armour. Just deciding on a bigger bike now!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘That drop off at Cwmcarn’ is closed to new replies.