Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • That dress colour gubbins – would it be the world's greatest troll?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

If not can you think of any better?

docstar
    Free Member

I heard that if you see a white/gold dress it’s a sign of aids in your eyes!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I heard that the Moonshine in the Hebrides was that strong that it made people go colour blind.

mrkstvnz
    Free Member

Walob

samunkim
    Free Member

A & B are exactly the same colour.. Proper freaked

toppers3933
    Free Member

Presumably you mean that the letters A and B are the same colour. Because the squares they’re in are clearly different colours.

euain

No, the squares are the same colour – honest.

Try opening the image in a viewer and copy the A square and paste near the B one – they are the same colour.

GrahamS

It’s true they are. If you mask off the rest of the screen with your fingers then you can see they are.

But when I mask off bits of The Dress with my fingers they still look gold and blueish-white.

rj
    Free Member

Proof that we’re doomed as a civilisation.

toppers3933
    Free Member

It’s amazing isn’t it, the human brain.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Yep! I guess this is a good place to put my favourite illusion – the three foot nose:

Find 2 willing (and good) friends
    Sit on a chair blind-folded, and ask your friend (let’s call her Sam) to sit on a chair in front of you, with her back to you.
    Ask your other friend to take your right hand and put it on Sam’s nose
    Tap and stroke her nose in a gentle random manner, making exactly identical movements with your other hand, on your own nose.
    Continue this for 60 seconds.
    About 50% of people will have the extremely odd sensation that their nose is 3 feet long, or somehow their nose is elsewhere!

edit: I just nicked the text off another website – the Sam in it is a coincidence.

rOcKeTdOg

I see blue & gold, OH swears it’s white & gold

dannyh
    Free Member

Biological psychology is full of examples of seemingly astounding illusions caused by our preconditioning to perceive things a certain way. When you step back and are told what is going on it is obvious, albeit in an ‘oh my god’ sort of way. But that is one of the traits of our advanced brains, we are presented with so much information, that we are able to perceive that it would overload our capacity. So we ‘learn’, subconsciously, to take shortcuts and make assumptions that work 99.99% of the time. That colored square thing IS astonishing, but it is the basis of how a few ‘magic’ tricks work, and in the wider sense how a lot of magic tricks work.

The human brain is truly a wondrous thing. Playing tricks on it can be a lot of fun!

jambourgie
    Free Member

No, on the contrary. It’s rubbish.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Haha even Shimano is in on it

whatnobeer
    Free Member

My initial thought was that it was actually an animated gif that only changed after a long time and typed as a jpeg. That would of been clever.

andyl
    Free Member

I like that shimano shoe ^

ji
    Free Member

I like that shimano shoe ^

White is a really rubbish colour for off road shoes though.

scruff9252

I have even heard that some people have believed team sky to have be wearing black and blue too!

drlex
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Not a troll. My wife saw blue and black, I saw white and gold.

ampthill

I have seen both black and blue and white and gold

same web page and computer

different times of day

I love the chess board thing. I do it with my students all the time

I also do a black is white thing with a projector and a white screen

miketually
    Free Member

It’s not colour constancy, which is what the chessboard, and the current xkcd.com comic, show because different people see different things.

miketually
    Free Member

I see white and gold. Could be a physiological thing, because I have issues distinguishing blue and black normally.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘That dress colour gubbins – would it be the world's greatest troll?’ is closed to new replies.