• This topic has 23 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • That doesnt look right – broken frame :(
  • shaley
    Free Member

Link to photos: https://plus.google.com/photos/113022073254694501676/albums/5764027646343176785

As you can see the chainstay has snapped. I am trying to weigh up whether or not I should put an insurance claim in. I dont really want to ride the frame again, and would only put in an insurance claim if I knew that they would replace the whole frame, and not simply replace the rear triangle.

I have been quoted £400 for a rear triangle. Can I claim that the bike has damaged in more than that chainstay?

Thanks

boltonjon

You’ve got to consider how long and how hard you have ridden it for – why wouldn’t you ride it again if you only got a new rear triangle?

Bikes break – I’ve been through a lot – part of the fun (along with broken chains, numb feet & fingers and punctures)

Its all part of our passion!!

andyl
    Free Member

Surely you just need the bottom half?

Do you have accidental cover on your home insurance that covers mountain bikes breaking through wear and tear (assuming it was not a crash)?

what is your excess and how much will your insurance go up if you claim?

Why don’t you want to ride the frame again? Surely claiming the bike has more damage than the chainstay is insurance fraud?

Keef
    Free Member

gaffer tape ?…..

shaley
    Free Member

Well, I wouldnt want to ride it again as I would be scared that it would break again. I am not convinced that riding knowing that you have already snapped the frame once is a going to be any fun.

I wouldnt claim that it it is more damaged than it already is, just wanting to know people opinions, and suggestions.

Insurance excess would be 200, and the insurance would go up about 40 for next year.

andyl
    Free Member

you could claim and if they just replace the triangle sell it and buy something else 2nd hand.

shaley
    Free Member

How much do you think I could get for it?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

At the risk of sounding harsh. Why don’t you just accept that you broke your bike and look sorting out buying another. I’m not really sure what you are proposing is what insurance is for.

shaley
    Free Member

That doesnt sound that harsh to me…
    Well I am trying to work out the cheapest way to buy another one. Insurance is just an option, but by the sounds of it they will just repair it.

faz083
    Free Member

Repairing it doesn’t seem safe to me. Why not get a few companies to quote for ‘repairing it’ as being unsafe, send that to them and then they have no choice but to replace it?

shaley
    Free Member

Where would it get these quotes from? Just local bike shops?

bullandbladder
    Free Member

The front end appears to be held together with tape – I’d probably want it replaced too.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

so you would ride it if they replaced the whole frame but not if they only replace the bit that’s broken?

spooky_b329

I wouldn’t even consider making a claim on my contents for a £400 part. One more claim and you’ll start to have issues changing insurer should you need to.

Also, unless you can prove that its crash damage, it probably won’t be covered. Damage that has occurred over time (i.e. water damage, rot, and presumably fatigue) is not normally covered.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Quite a bit of heel rub in the area it snapped. Heli tape next time?

shaley
    Free Member

Yeah, the rubbing was already there when I got the frame, about 7 months ago.

I would get a different frame next time, (not the same one).

The more I look at the frame, the more I think that it is just the rear triangle that is broken, and I should just buy my self a nice shinny new frame.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why not replace just the chainstays / rear triangle? If you’re still not happy you could then sell it as a useable frame?

shaley
    Free Member

I would have to get more than £400 to make buying the new rear triangle worth while, and I do not think that the frame is worth that.

flange
    Free Member

Yeah, the rubbing was already there when I got the frame, about 7 months ago.

Hold up – its a second hand frame?

shaley
    Free Member

Yes, it is a second hand frame.

honourablegeorge

If the frame’s not worth 400, then there’s no point paying £200 excess plus £40 extra premium a year on insurance to get it repaired either.

Off to On One with you and buy an El Guapo.

shaley
    Free Member
    RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Andy Hilton +1

Andyl accidental insurance cover on your home that covers a bike wearing out , where do you get that ? Surely that’s an oxymoron .

I don’t think there’s an insurance company in the country that would pay out for that . What next will you claim again when the bearings need changing or the transmission wears out ?

D0NK

Yes, it is a second hand frame.

go buy something else then, you’ve no idea how it was treated before you got it

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘That doesnt look right – broken frame :(’ is closed to new replies.