Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • That didn’t last long. RIP Saracen
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Knowing the peeps in there a bit, I’d be very surprised if they tried to make you accept a rim-braked frame.

Most-likely a balls-up by Madison and they’re probably waiting for a response before they get back to you.

prawny

Yeah, TBF to Winstanleys they’ve been really helpful, It’s just taken a bit longer to get sorted than I’d hoped but I bet they’re stacked with Christmas coming up.

prawny

Had the news this morning that Madison have just sent an old frame with the same name as mine and didn’t check the compatibility.

I’m a bit miffed, I’m looking at another week on the train now. It went back to Winstanleys on the 17th of November so it’s taken two weeks already, and now no one knows what’s happening.

prawny

Yay!

They’ve seen sense and are sending me a Hack frame. Don’t know how old it will be, but as long as it takes discs I’m happy.

scruff
    Free Member

My hack from last year has flat caliper mounts front and rear.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Possibly good result with the Hack frame!?

prawny

Possibly good result with the Hack frame!?

I’m seeing it as a win.

Interested to see if it’s going to have flat mounts or post mounts. Either way I’m looking to get some new brakes, so will see what turns up. Flat mount would make it easier to get hydro discs these days it seems.

Scruff – how wide can you go with mudguards on your Hack? Looking to fit 45s so I can squeeze some 40c conti Nordic spikes in there when needed

scruff
    Free Member

I have sks chromoplastics longs, some 38 700c and there is still room possible 42 would fit and a set of 650b 42c and there’s loads of room.

prawny

Excellent.

I’ll order some fat guards and wait and see on the brake front. The picture the sent me is the 2014 one from the bike radar review which has an IS rear brake.

Hopefully they’ll post it to Winstanleys tomorrow and I’ll get it soon, the train is hacking me off now.

coomber
    Free Member

Good outcome. Don’t see these as a “result” as such as the pain of the wait and sorting stuff out isn’t wanted.

Hack always seemed a good frame so should be a good swap over.

prawny

I’ve just had the dispatch email from Winstanleys, hopefully my replacement frame will be with me tomorrow. Brakes and mudguards are allegedly being delivered today so hopefully will have a fun weekend spannering 😀

stumpy01

Sweeeeet!

Finshed build pics would be nice to see…..

prawny

Fear not, they will be incoming probably over the weekend 😆

prawny

It’s arrived!

It’s a fairly old one, IS mount on the back, which is ok, at least my old brakes fit. I got some HyRds too as well as some 45mm Sks Blumels, I’ll try and find time to whack them on over the weekend.

Clearance without guards is huge, I can easily fit my Nordic spikes on, they might sneak in with them on too, but that’s not a huge deal, I’ve never used them to commute on anyway.

Really looking forward to getting back on the bike, the train is really getting on my wick.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Have a nice weekend putting your bike together and having at least one pleasure ride! 😀

superstu
    Free Member

Pictures please

mtbtomo
    Free Member

My 2014 Hack ended up on the turbo trainer and it’s still there. All my sweat and the slightly damp cellar has caused the paint to flake and everything else to corrode 😳

stumpy01

Wot No Pics?

prawny

I’m so slack, I’ve got the new brakes on and the guards half on.

I’ll be finishing it off tonight (I hope), but I’ve got to be careful with the guards because I want to be able to fit massive tyres, but I haven’t got any massive tyres to fit yet.

I’m off work for my birthday tomorrow, so If all else fails tonight I can get rid of the family for an hour or so and sort it ready for Wednesday back on the commute.

Pleasure ride is looking very doubtful.

prawny

It’s finished!!

Just finished screwing the pedals on, no time for pictures it’s far too dark so will follow in the morning.

Pleased though, I’ve managed to get the guards on nice and round, and I’ve managed to squeeze in some 42c Schwalbe Land Cruisers that survived me getting hit by a car with no rubbing.

It’s a proper monster crosser, feels like it would take pretty much anything I could throw at it.

prawny

Beast. I think I’ll be riding over cars tomorrow in the way to work.

scruff
    Free Member

How much clearance is there between the tyres and guard’s?

dirkpitt74

That looks pretty sweet!

stumpy01

That looks like a pretty good result!

prawny

@scruff enough for the road, would be no good for gravel bashing though

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Happy commuting tomorrow on the new steed!

Maybe it’s the photos, but clearance on those 700x42mm Landcruisers looks tight, less than a few millimetres each side and to fork crown.

prawny

There’s probably about 6mm by eye, tight, but useable.
    About the same as my previous 25c Duranos In the Tenet with normal road guards, probably a bit more actually.

I’ll be on the hunt for something about 32-35 in the next couple of months though, the land cruisers are heavy.

prawny

Landcruisers won’t be staying, no rubbing but bloody hell they drag on a long commute.

I was about 2mph down and half a HR zone up on the couple of long drags I’ve got on my commute. I’m on the hunt for some zippy 23-32c tyres with good puncture resistance after Xmas.

flange
    Free Member

28mm GP4000’s. Used mine all winter commuting through London, buttery smooth, seem to last well and pretty good at stopping punctures. And come up pretty wide too, they’re nearer 30mm even on Mavic rims. Run mine at 70psi on Ksyrium discs

Bike looks good. I do love functional bikes!

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘That didn’t last long. RIP Saracen’ is closed to new replies.