Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • That didn’t last long. RIP Saracen
  • prawny

Well the Bizango didn’t last long either! Got walloped by a car on the way home last night and the back wheel is pringled. Need to check the frame over when it’s light but I think it’s ok. I didn’t actually fall off just bounced up and forwards. Lucky really.

Guy was apologetic and gave me a lift home, he’s going to sort a replacement for whatever is broken.

Should I report it to the feds? No one was hurt so seems a bit pointless.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Your call but ime people don’t realize how expensive bike parts are and suddenly don’t want to pay when faced with a big bill.

eddie11
    Free Member

I had this. You never want to be knocked off but when I was they were really sorry sorted everything out and looked more upset than me. Didn’t tell police as saw no need. Also a bit paranoid in our car loving democracy police would somehow see it as my fault. Regret it now, feel like I should’ve used 111 and at least got the accident recorded for stats.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Oh prawny, what a nightmare!

Get the Bizango over to an LBS asap, you might well be looking at the price of a new red Bizango, £650, or at least getting that off driver to do with as you please.

I hope you got plenty of details off driver before parting company.

prawny

I’ve got his full name and number, but I was evidently a bit more shocked than I thought as I didn’t even think to get his reg like a fool.

I’ve spoken to him by text since though so at least he didn’t give me a fake number. He seems like a nice enough guy, and I know where his Mrs works so it’s not the end of the world. Will take the bike to a shop over the weekend to get an estimate for the damage.

Worst thing about it is having to catch the train until the Tenet is back, I hate the flippin train. Need to get me a moped.

Bez

Should I report it to the feds? No one was hurt so seems a bit pointless.

He has a legal obligation to do so, you don’t.

I would just make sure you have good evidence of a collision having occurred, with him, at that time and in that place. If he’s as good as his word then you won’t need it for making good the damage but, as someone else noted, the internet is littered with stories of people suddenly having a change of heart when they find out that repairing a bicycle costs more than a puncture repair kit.

Also don’t forget that some damage, whether to the bike or yourself, isn’t always immediately apparent.

prawny

Yeah, I’ve got the moment of impact on video, unfortunately you can’t see his car on it, in hindsight I should have turned the camera on him before I shut it off.

I can’t see it being a huge issue, I don’t think the car even touched me, and the back wheel still turned so I’m assuming the frame is ok. Back is a bit sore this morning, going to keen an eye on that.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Need to get me a moped.

With your current run of luck I’d say don’t 😯

Bez

If you can keep an eye on your back then you must be in a pretty bad way 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Personally, I would want financial compensation at least for repairing/replacing the bike; any kit damaged (including your helmet if it took a knock), plus the cost of your train commutes while your Bizango is out of action (unless your Saracen comes back quicker than sorting Bizango).

prawny

I’m fairly sure all my kit is ok because I stayed on my wheels when they touched down again. I’m going to let them off the train fare too as well, because about 5 minutes before it happened I was thinking about getting the train for a bit anyway because the Bizango was too hard work every day.

It’s bloomin Madison I’m most miffed about, its’ 3 weeks now and I’ve still got no idea when I’m getting my bike back.

dirkpitt74

prawny – Member

I’m fairly sure all my kit is ok because I stayed on my wheels when they touched down again. I’m going to let them off the train fare too as well, because about 5 minutes before it happened I was thinking about getting the train for a bit anyway because the Bizango was too hard work every day.

It’s bloomin Madison I’m most miffed about, its’ 3 weeks now and I’ve still got no idea when I’m getting my bike back.

You might want to rethink that if you use London Midland lol

prawny

I do unfortunately, shower of shite.

2 carriages on the main commuter train this morning. It was rammed.

I need one of these

dirkpitt74

prawny – Member

I do unfortunately, shower of shite.

2 carriages on the main commuter train this morning. It was rammed.

Chase line by any chance?
    If so I feel your pain – twice daily, for the last 6 years….

I really should just MTFU and ride the 17 miles to work.

prawny

Yep!

I probably see you then. Where do you get on/off? I’ve been doing that commute on and off for the last 10+ years now, did 18 months on the bike 7-8 years ago then started again 2 years ago. I haven’t been missing it.

You should ride it made, it’s not a bad ride in. When you dont get clattered.

We could go halves on a tandem 😆

dirkpitt74

Haha I get on in sunny Cannock – usually on the 06:55.

prawny

Urgh, bun that, far too early.

dirkpitt74

haha, only go that early to avoid the even worse overcrowding later on.
    Get off at New Street – If I could find a decent route I’d attempt to ride it.

prawny

Best route is down the Chester Road IMO, but depends where you’re starting from. I live in hednesford so come down through heath hayes, if you’re in Cannock, I wouldn’t fancy coming down the Orbital and A5. I’ve done it before, and going back up is horrible.

dirkpitt74

prawny – Member

Best route is down the Chester Road IMO, but depends where you’re starting from. I live in hednesford so come down through heath hayes, if you’re in Cannock, I wouldn’t fancy coming down the Orbital and A5. I’ve done it before, and going back up is horrible.

That’s the bit that scares me – bad enough in a car!

prawny

Yeah, don’t go that way. Just no.

prawny

Took the Bizango to the LBS yesterday, turns out the frame is goosed too, couldn’t even get the back wheel in to help check the alignment. Driver is happy to replace the whole bike which is nice, just waiting for him to send me the cash, then I can get back on the road (again)

dirkpitt74

Bugger – you don’t seem to be having much luck.
    Nice to hear the driver is going to cough up for a bike though. What you gonna get?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Shame to read the Bizango is dead!

Are you going to simply wait for the Saracen to be delivered, or get something else to replace the Bizango?

If looking for another bike, what type and what budget?

prawny

He’s paid me already so fair play there.

I’ve got to the Mrs P a replacement, the Bizango was passed down to her as a bike she could use when we all want to go out together as well as a spare for me, so it looks like I’m going to spend about £300 on a comfy hybrid then put the rest towards somethin for me.

I’m really tempted to slap it down as a deposit on an Arkose 2 and pay the rest on 0% and then sell the Saracen when it gets back. They are almost perfect, I’d rather have a QR front end so I can use my spare wheels but other than that it ticks all the boxes.

The one thing I would like is room for massive tyres, so I can slot my existing 42c ice tyres in there if the need arises. I spose I could go for something cheaper like a Verenti Substance and use the £500 I’d save to buy some different ice tyres…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Without checking deals out there currently, how about Voodoo Marasa for Mrs prawny and a Charge SS Grinduro for you?

prawny

The marasa is what I’m getting. SS is a no go, I’m nowhere near strong enough 😳

Plug might be a goer, I’m on a strict one in one out system at the moment, so the Saracen will have to go if I get something new. I’ll probably hold fire until I see what I get back from winstanleys before I buy anything other than the marasa.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The “old” Marasa is now End Of Line, be quick to grab a £320 less BC discount bargain, the newer model is £400 iirc.

You could convert a Grinduro to multi gears with a bar end shifter, cassette and rear derailleur, which should cost less than a similar spec Arkose X (albeit the Arkose has a carbon fork). 😉

If a come across any good deals, I’ll post a link.

prawny

Cool please do.

Wishlist is room for 42c tyres and guards, hyrdo (or hy-rd) brakes and proper brifters, I’m not a fan of bar end shifters, I tend to be changing gear most of the time on my commute, it’s fairly rolling terrain – 1000-1300ft over the 20 miles.

I might fancy doing a CX race in the future too.

Edit – planning to grab a marasa tomorrow.

prawny

Edit – Nevermind.

prawny

Interesting developments, I had an email from Winstanleys saying they’d received a replacement frame but it was a different colour and am I happy

Which to me looks to be this frame

Which is a year older than mine, and has rim brakes.

Anyone else seen a frame this colour but with discs? I pointed this out to them, but haven’t heard anything since this morning.

coomber
    Free Member

Confused. Are you saying they’ve replaced a disc braked frame for a rim braked one?

prawny

That’s what appears to be happening, the shop haven’t built it up yet and I asked them to check it had disc mounts before they started this morning. I’ve not heard back yet.

If that is the case it’s a bit slack, the full bike pictured is the same model as mine, bur from the year before, so they’d be replacing my bike with an even older one.

Still, it might not be the case. But I thought I’d check with the hive mind here incase anyone knew of a disc braked Tenet that came in those colours

coomber
    Free Member

Wouldnt worry too much on age of model, but my google skills dont show that model with disc brakes. Could be a proto/one off? Trying to be optimistic for you!

Would be an embarrassing oversight by saracen else.

prawny

Yeah, I couldn’t find anything either.

It’s a bit annoying, because I asked Saracen and Winstanleys a few times what they’d send as mine was discontinued, neither of them would give a straight answer. You’d have thought that they’d at least check that what they were sending would be compatible.

I was also thinking Prototype. We shall see, but their silence isn’t a good sign.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve no idea if they did a disc brake in that livery, but there’s no way I’d accept a rim braked frame as a replacement for a disc frame, besides the fact that disc brakes are the future, your original Saracen disc wheels may well not be designed to work with rim brakes.

If Saracen cannot offer you a disc brake road frame replacement, is it worth thinking about asking them for a disc brake hybrid or hardtail, that Mrs prawny could ride (if you’ve not already bought the Marasa)?

chakaping
    Free Member

Call them, usually easy to get through and helpful at Winstanleys.

prawny

Marasa is ordered but not paid for yet. Should be picking it up tomorrow.

No way I’d be accepting a rim braked bike, I swapped a perfectly good tenet 2 (the same years as the orange one but yellow) for the one that broke just for the disc brakes. I’m won’t be over the moon if the swap it for an older model – it’s not going to help the resale value.

I’d be over the moon if they replaced it with a Hack, even if I had to pay a bit extra.

prawny

chakaping – Member
    Call them, usually easy to get through and helpful at Winstanleys.

I might do if I don’t hear anything soon, although last time I spoke to the lovely Rhiannon, she said it had been passed through to Returns and they would contact me.

Still, in for a penny…

firestarter
    Free Member

I doubt it’s got disc mounts as you can see the brake caliper mount clearly in the seatstay bridge 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘That didn’t last long. RIP Saracen’ is closed to new replies.