Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • That could have been even more inconvenient! Sheared bars
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Hardly a surprise, 40yrs of fatigue has taken it’s toll on my London ratbike. A 1970s Falcon.

Fortunately was just dropping off the curb from the bike racks on the way back to Paddington from a meeting in Chelsea Harbour, when…”kapowy”…I’m left holding half the bar in my hand (having taken some nice chunks out of my thumb on the follow-through). Had to abandon ratbike there and hijack a Santander Sofa to get home.

So quick Qu – What diameter bar will this most likely have? I need to take a replacement (& tools) with me back to Chelsea sometime next week, some nice granny bars would be cool, but I guess they need to slide through the stem clamp without too much turning.

In better days

cynic-al
    Free Member

25.4mm Sir.

Stoner
    Free Member

ahthankyow

cynic-al
    Free Member

Should do yeah…free flat cap? 😛

Stoner
    Free Member

free flat cap

would go with my petticoat.

JoeG
    Free Member

No wonder they broke so easily, they’re a mile wide! Everyone knows that urban bikes need narrow bars. 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

Just a thought – take a new brake cable and a run of outer with you. It looks like those Raleigh bars are a fair bit wider and more swept than the broken ones.

🙂

kayak23

should have taken that D-lock, unlocked it and shoved one end in the broken bar, lodging it in the bend and creating a new bar.

Would have got you home….or to hospital.
    🙂

pjt201
    Free Member

Come in singletrack – you’re doing this wrong. The correct answer isn’t new bars – Stoner should spend £1k on a Brompton.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Wow that looks a lot like my commuter . A falcon tourist

Gotama
    Free Member

Come in singletrack – you’re doing this wrong. The correct answer isn’t new bars – Stoner should spend £1k on a Brompton.

Now you mention it I am selling my two speed Brompton…..

Stoner
    Free Member

googe point BD, ta. Fortunately I have a coaster brake in the back, so could wing it with the lever inboard.

ptj – I had my Brompton nicked years ago. I lent it’s replacement to my colleague, and he got that one nicked. 🙄

Long live the undesirable ratbike. ’tis triggers broom now though. Ive built 2 sets of wheels for it, it’s on it’s second post (first sheared), new long drop brake calliper (levers original). The cranks are original as well.

It’s a lovely frame, laterally stiff while still vertically compliant. Obviously 😉

pictonroad

I’ve done that, gives one quite the start when it goes. You’re left with the right side (in both ways) as you’ve still got a brake, I’d have ridden it home.

(my advice is often awful)

T1000
    Free Member

[’tis triggers broom now though.] ironically the triggers broom sketch was itself recycled from a sketch in Open all hours…..

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

It looks like those Raleigh bars are a fair bit wider and more swept than the broken ones.

They are, by a lot. Here’s some I fitted earlier:

Can easily be hacked down. Have a look at Humpert bars? Think they tend to be fairly sturdy. They also come in steel flavours, ie:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humpert-climber-steel-handlebars-254mm-clamp-satin-prod35790/

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers MR – I will trim them at home if I need to before taking them in.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘That could have been even more inconvenient! Sheared bars’ is closed to new replies.