Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • That chunk of time between dropping your car off for its MOT…
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I have a theory that if you go to a new place they are more likely to pass it so that you feel good about them and go back again.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Funnily enough mol, that’s what I did yesterday. And it’s a small garage, literally, around the corner from my house so no faffage with dropping off/picking up car somewhere. It was a garage run by my neighbour who was very old-school mechanic. The place was a tip though and I always felt a little uneasy being there. I just wanted to have a good tidy. Anyway, a couple of years ago, it was taken over by Dave when Ted retired. The place is spick and span now and he is a lot more organised. He has a proper diary and rings when he says he’s going to ring. He drops the car down to another garage for MOTs – I often wonder if this is better as one garage does the MOT and one does the fixing – I suppose it could be argued that there’s less incentive for either to fail the car as well – could be fooling myself there too.

Anyway, he seemed like a really sound chap. We have to get the aircon fixed next and sort a reversing sensor, so I’m going to give him a go at that and see how he does. It’s a good feeling to have someone reliable and trustworthy just round the corner.

Also, I suppose if you’re a new face, you could be anybody – DoT inspectorate or the likes.

tthew

Van went through this morning, no advisories even. Not bad for an 07 reg Frenchie!

craigxxl
    Free Member

He drops the car down to another garage for MOTs – I often wonder if this is better as one garage does the MOT and one does the fixing – I suppose it could be argued that there’s less incentive for either to fail the car as well – could be fooling myself there too.

I take mine to an MOT only centre. They have no incentive to fail a car to create work for themselves as don’t do any other jobs. They won’t even recommend a garage to take it to. They are tough but fair and I like it that way.

molgrips
    Free Member

We live in suburban desert, however there is a garage within walking distance that does MOTs. It’s a Jaguar dealer though, and it’s fun to go and ogle the lovely Jags, but even more fun to laugh at the service prices on the board.

arcadian
    Free Member

I take mine to an MOT only centre. They have no incentive to fail a car to create work for themselves as don’t do any other jobs. They won’t even recommend a garage to take it to. They are tough but fair and I like it that way.

Council MOT centres are good for that. Usually have to book a decent bit in advance though. Mine passed this year, but it’s only done 8000 miles in 4 years.

Northwind

Funnilly enough my dad’s car always fails on something when he takes it in- tyres, wipers, pads, every consumable they can think of. When I take it in, in my manky garage clothes, it always passes. It’s almost like doddery old dudes get taken for a ride, while they know they can’t do the same to people covered in oil. He won’t let me take it to the trustworthy garage I use, because quote, “they know me at my place”. Yes. Yes they do. ****.

murf
    Free Member

I bought a Gen 7 celica a couple of weeks ago, had been parked up for 8 months. New front spring, wheel bearing and a droplink and it passed it’s mot this morning.
    £500 all in, car plus not plus the parts O fitted 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

Just to make you all feel a bit better the other halfs horse box is off for its test next week , with lane fees and the rest a clean pass will still be £200 Ish

woffle
    Free Member

put my 1993 Mk1 MX-5 in last week. Given she’s got twin carbs, 4-1 header, straight through exhaust fitted and she ‘runs a bit rich’ was worried she’d struggle on emissions. Failed on a non-functional wiper pump. Easily sorted and then passed with 0 advisories – ended up about 1/8th of the cost I thought it might be…

Not my favourite time of year.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Hoping to get my Scimitar SST turbo motted this week, it’s been layed up for two years, just got to get new/old petrol tank on and pray the B***** will start.
    If it gives me any grief, it’ll be on the bay by next wkend.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘That chunk of time between dropping your car off for its MOT…’ is closed to new replies.