Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • That chunk of time between dropping your car off for its MOT…
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

…and waiting for the phone to ring.

FREEZE ALL BANK ACCOUNTS! Do not think about spending any money! Do not plan anything nice for the weekend. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

I just booked mine in for 2 weeks time…….normally i wouldnt be too worried but this is a car thats been off the road for 5 years and stripped to the componant pieces.

I best spend zero pounds.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is it still a failure if your wing mirror heating isn’t worth properly?

jambalaya
    Free Member

They did mine FOC last month, I was rather pleased 🙂 I had just spent £800 on tyres mind you 😐

bigblackshed

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Nope. Just needs unbroken glass. If there is no glass in it it will pass. A car only needs a functional rear view mirror. Door, wing, or whatever.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Passed!!!!!! 😀

andyl
    Free Member

We have a MacDonalds ritual. If we don’t go eat some disgusting food it fails.

Cracked wing mirror glass is fine but if it impedes vision then it fails. Got a cracked one on the FL due to someone else. I know that if I replace it then someone will smash it properly. You don’t even notice it when driving.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Threads I wish I’d never started…

sbob
    Free Member

A car only needs a functional rear view mirror. Door, wing, or whatever.

Thought it was two?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, I reckon it’s two as well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Threads I wish I’d never started…

😀

benji
    Free Member

It never gas been a fail for heated mirrors not working.

It’s a mirror on the drivers side and one other.

Glass can be cracked but as long as rear view isn’t too obscured it’s a pass and advise.

Just remember it’s a minimum standard of road worthyness, not an entry to a concourse competition.

thepurist

Flashy it’s OK if the fridge isn’t chilling the champagne adequately too.

jolmes
    Free Member

Ours is booked in for its 50k service and MOT a week tomorrow, just booked a holiday and bought a new wheelset for the bike. Not sure I’ve planned it too well…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

benji – Member
    It never has been a fail for heated mirrors not working.

*Whoooooosh!*

😉

kcal

Dropped mine off (last year, one car ago). Phone call – same day I think – “can you come in please”.
    Yup, list of failures (and similar list of advisories) bottom line car was scrap. Would they fix it so I could get in it to find another? No, they wouldn’t (all credit though it was a PITA at the time, no other transport to find a car..)

CountZero

Mine goes in Monday. All the tyres are good, brakes look good, all the bulbs are working and the washers and wipers work fine, so fingers crossed.

JulianA
    Free Member

thepurist – Member
    Flashy it’s OK if the fridge isn’t chilling the champagne adequately too

That’s outrageous. Surely a safety issue?

Northwind

I know stuff can surprise you but folks seem to treat the MOT as the reason you make your car safe. I wouldn’t drive mine if I wasn’t confident it’d pass an MOT right now. Certainly on safety matters. Anyone else?

My MOT prep usually means giving it a wash.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Surely a safety issue?

Only if one’s driver is drinking it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Northwind – same.

Though the fact I had a near enough complete front end rebuild wasn’t enough, still needed a rear bearing.

New topic – That chunk of time between your car passing its MOT…

…and selling it.

onandon
    Free Member

Mine failed today. The bill is around 650 on a 4 year old car- not too impressed buy hey ho.

thepurist

Only if one’s driver is drinking it.

If it’s warm he’s welcome to it.

Northwind

(full disclosure: There was only one day a year when my motorbike would pass an MOT)

seavers
    Free Member

Had mine today and failed. Puncture repair and a broken spring. New front rubber needed soon too. Oh and it’s due for a service. Will be £500 on the car this month. Urgh.

rocketman
    Free Member

Agree with the OP its like waiting for the results of a medical. I give them the mrs number so she can relay the result to me

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’m with Northwind in that the MOT is just a bit of paper confirming that I’ve kept my car roadworthy. I haven’t had a car or bike fail an MOT in over a decade and had my current car for over 8 years now.
    It was suggested that MOTs would become every two years and I would hate to see how neglected some cars would become within that period. Thankfully it never happened.

matt_outandabout

Just had ours serviced today, MOT is in 6 weeks, but we are off on hols and I wanted it done. Ford are doing cheap services at the moment, with a year’s European breakdown, so unusually I took it to the sdealer

Apparently a broken spring, front right (I cannot see it 😕 ) and same bearing on the way out (I can hear it, but garage are not bothered, said to ignore it 😕 )

And I know on return from hols I need to deal with that pesky intermittent airbag fault, as I guarantee it will come on the morning I put it in for MOT.

JulianA
    Free Member

I meant that the champagne cooler / failure issue needs to be addressed!

(I don’t drink and drive, however – the chauffeur does the driving)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

(I don’t drink and drive, however – the footman sees to that)

I’ll tell her that’s what you call her! 😉

JulianA
    Free Member

Ninja edit – probably doesn’t help my case…

LoCo
    Free Member

Stood in the workshop watching them do the van last time, chatted, got coffee and look round bodyshop next door complete with resto DB5, 60s mustang & a few bays and splits.
    Was there geeking about all morning 😀 Passed,with the addition of a number plate blub

bikebouy
    Free Member

My little van failed on emissions, it’s been a good little van to me but I really can’t be bothered with getting it fixed.

Bye bye little van 😐

Basil

Anybody else remember the days of just leaving £50 in the ashtray?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

#pray4BB’svan

milky1980
    Free Member

Back in my youth I just phoned up my cousin with the reg and he’d drop the certificate round later that week!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Failed on emissions? Has to be fairly obviously gone for that to not be a relatively cheap fix, like passing piston seals or heavily leaking injectors gone.

Surely it’ll just be a sensor on the blink?

takisawa2

That period of time when you’ve sold one car, & not yet bought another…that’s the best feeling. In my adult years, my happiest times have been when I’ve not had a car.
    Essential these days, obviously, with young kids etc, but true (for me).
    I dread MOT’s after last year’s £750 bill. £750…on a bloody Ford Galaxy.
    🙂

drlex
    Free Member

Hmmm. Failed last week on suspension (ARB bushes) and plenty of advisories on other suspension components and brake pipe. Retested at another station this week – straight through, and handbrake advisory instead.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mine’s next month too

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘That chunk of time between dropping your car off for its MOT…’ is closed to new replies.