Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • That Chumba rolling chassis deal up there…
  • kevin1911

…looks like a pretty good deal.

Anyone got an XCL and prepared to give us a mini review of how it rides?

Anyone know how one would go about getting a demo ride?

K

hora
    Free Member

I had a older steeper head-angled XCL. Good finish etc. It was a good frame. I think Si's have the (better) slack head angle now.

kevin1911

Just realised it's the VF2, not the XCL on offer – so reviews of the VF2 please!

si-wilson
    Free Member

Kevin, i can offer the deal on the XCL for £1699

O, the VF2 is amazing 😉

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/xcl_build_kits.html

Dylan08
    Free Member

Problem with them is 'Chumba' sounds like something you've just plopped into the loo! Frames look OK though..

🙂

wwaswas

I always think of Chumbawamba – which isn't a bad thing.

darrenm
    Free Member

Not a review, but I have ridden one for a couple of hours and 72 hours later ordered one.
    This is my first foray in to the world of full suss, so can't say how it compares to x or y, but it was mighty fun going down and not that sluggish going up.

kevin1911

I must say, the name isn't a huge selling point – I too keep thinking of Chumbawamba, although it's not that tenuous – I get knocked down (well, fall off) I get up again is pretty much an average ride for me.

I also keep thinking of Chunk from the Goonies for some reason.

Anyway, they look like really nice frames.

Si, is there any way of getting a test ride? Also, can you summarise the differences between the XCL and the VF2?

si-wilson
    Free Member

Kevin, where are you based, might be able to sort you a test ride?

The VF2 and XCL share the same angles with a 140mm fork and 5" travel, but the VF2 is lighter and has a full carbon rear end. The XCL is capable of taking more abuse, not to say that the VF2 is not versatile, i run mine with CCDB and Van 32's.

momo

Si, is the rear travel 125mm?

si-wilson
    Free Member

momo, 127 mm 🙂

kevin1911

Si, I'm in central Scotland – Falkirk to be precise. Is that 1699 deal on the XCL for the frame only, or for the rolling chassis?

higgo
    Free Member

What Chumba deal?
    Is this 'cos I'm a 'P' member and don't see adverts? I feel all left out now.

How would the VF2 fare with 160mm 55s? Either all the time or just wound out for the downy bits?

(not actually looking to change but you never know)

si-wilson
    Free Member

kevin, the £1699 deal is for the rolling chassis deal, however Fox are out of Van 32's at the moment so it's either a 3-4 week wait for the fork, or an upgrade to a Float for an upcharge (around £100-£150)

Higgo, the Vf2 will take 160mm, but does climb nicer with 140mm.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack.

Si, is there likely to be a rolling chassis deal on an HX2 in future?

Cheers

si-wilson
    Free Member

Grumpystevo, no plans to do the hardtail frames at all i'm afraid due to very low stocks!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I really like the frame , But one of the lads that i work with , his nickname at work is chumba !!
    Couldnt buy a frame named after him !

kamina
    Free Member

Ihad an xcl for quite a while and it was a great bike. If it was not stolen I would still have it. Tried quite a few forks on it, a Pike, 130mm Rev and a DT exc 150. It was very stable and stiff and somehow confidence inspiring. I did not like the DHX air it came with, swapped for a pushed rp23 and never thought about the shock since.

I had a slightly older model with heavier tubing, the new one should be great. Finally decided to get an Intense with the insurance money, but can't really say it's a much nicer bike (despite the frame alone costing over 2000£.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘That Chumba rolling chassis deal up there…’ is closed to new replies.