Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • That BA/Vegas Aircraft Fire…
  • boblo
    Free Member

Passengers evacuating with their carry on luggage = tosseurs

Witness = Reggie Bugmuncher… Yes really… 😀

Lucky escape, damage looks very very significant <gulp>

martinhutch

Top work by the cabin crew getting them off. If someone was ferreting around in the overhead lockers stopping me and my kids getting out, they’d get a punch in the nuts.

Here is a photo of Ms Bugmuncher in action:

Duffer
    Free Member

As usual, the only injuries sustained were as a result of using the slides.

Good work by the BA crew and airfield emergency services.

peterfile
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

If someone was ferreting around in the overhead lockers stopping me and my kids getting out, they’d get a punch in the nuts.

🙂
    Reckon I could get my bags out and be on the slide before people managed to move with their kids 😉
    I guess it depends how urgent the evac was.

GrahamS

it depends how urgent the evac was

It’s a plane, full of jet fuel, that is on fire.

I’d assume PRETTY ****ING URGENT! 😯

Screw the hand luggage – I’d be choosing my favourite kid and legging it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I believe the urgent evac simulations they do result in broken bones and ripped up seats…
    Keeping people calm, not clambering over each other and leaving through the right exits may look slower but be quicker and safer for all involved.

martinhutch

t’s a plane, full of jet fuel, that is on fire.

I’d assume PRETTY ****ING URGENT!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q_xpos5-XY[/video]

boblo
    Free Member

Apparently they deployed the slides on the fire side – again and stopped crosswind (wind blowing the fire towards the aircraft) – again. Shades of Manchester…

GrahamS

not clambering over each other and leaving through the right exits may look slower but be quicker and safer for all involved. those near the exits

bikebouy
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    If someone was ferreting around in the overhead lockers stopping me and my kids getting out, they’d get a punch in the nuts.

Reckon I could get my bags out and be on the slide before people managed to move with their kids
    I guess it depends how urgent the evac was.

Yup, agree with that.

Good work by all the crew though.. Must have been a tense few moments.. 😯

martinhutch

Which bit? My ultra-aggressive protecting my genetic material, or his devil-may-care protecting his passport and iPad? 😀

imnotverygood

Let’s not rush to judgement with the crosswind thing: if this happened while he was taxying out he may not have had a good idea where the wind was coming from. It would also require a 180 turn which may not have been advisable with the engine on fire.
    Can’t believe there are people carrying two bags off the plane. They should be prosecuted.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

those carrying bags off should be prosecuted for endangering lives.

this might sound far fetched but I fly a lot and think this is the only way it would sort numpties out. I also think over head lockers should be automatically locked for taxi/take off and until the seatbelt signs go off after landing and park up.

STATO
    Free Member

I also think over head lockers should be automatically locked for taxi/take off and until the seatbelt signs go off after landing and park up.

Ditto. And carry-on sizes and weights are not policed enough as it is (other than easyjet!). I also think lockers should be locked on initial embarkation, and only opened once everyone is on the plane at their seats, but thats just because i get annoyed by idiots who cant seem to short their stuff out and block aisles.

GrahamS

I also think over head lockers should be automatically locked for taxi/take off and until the seatbelt signs go off after landing and park up.

That sounds like an excellent idea. I’ve seen the stewards have to shout at people who stood up to get their bags when the wheels had literally just hit the tarmac and we were still hurtling along the runway!

Where do think they are going?

edward2000
    Free Member

This. Absolutely. Some people!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Given that the plane was full of people who think Las Vegas, a place so utterly full of banality, shallowness and materialism, is a good place to visit, this does not actually surprise me.

mogrim

Given that the plane was full of people who think Las Vegas, a place so utterly full of banality, shallowness and materialism, is a good place to visit, this does not actually surprise me.

To be fair there are a lot of conferences held there, due to the cheap (subsidised) hotel prices.

geetee1972
    Free Member

True. And I shouldn’t make fun of what is an incredibly serious situation. But seeing the pictures of people taking luggage is just incredulous.

As incredulous as the King Knuts who blithely sit reading their paper whenever the safety briefing is given.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Its location irrelevant, the same happens on many many flights. Like ants in pants.

EDIT: if you fly a lot the safety briefing is almost irrelevant, you could repeat it back word for word. I could. However I also feel its fairly irrelevant cos if the plane is about to crash, yer pretty much doomed.

mogrim

ut seeing the pictures of people taking luggage is just incredulous.

Definitely, if they can be prosecuted they should be.

As incredulous as the King Knuts who blithely sit reading their paper whenever the safety briefing is given.

If you’re a regular flier why would you listen? I don’t fly much more than once a year, but even then I can tell you exactly what’s in the safety briefing. The only point of interest is the location of the exits, and again that’s pretty obvious.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agree in full! Also, if you can’t carry it, you can’t have it as carry on.

I hate the place, but have to go there a few times a year for work. Leave your judgement land side, thanks! 😉

(FWIW, though, I always take the LHR flight. I prefer the 747 )

imnotverygood

If you’re a regular flier why would you listen?

Well you might pick up on the bit about not taking your cabin baggage in the event of an evacuation. I fly fairly frequently, I even work in aviation and I make a point of listen to the briefing. Out of courtesy to the people doing it if not for anything else.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

LOL, the briefing doesn’t even tell you where the exits are. I could probably recite them back these days, my ears did pick up when they declared the life vest was infact a floating pillow that was the seat cushion…

A320/330/767/777/dash 8 and a few more. Do this, don’t do that and get out the doors

imnotverygood

DP

beanum

Whenever I hear the safety briefing I always think of Fight Club and the more realistic “safety” cards used in it..

nickjb
    Free Member

If you’re a regular flier why would you listen?

Why would you not listen? Got something more important to do? It only takes a minute, you might pick up something useful, it pushes the info to the front of your mind and it’s polite.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I fly fairly frequently, I even work in aviation and I make a point of listen to the briefing. Out of courtesy to the people doing it if not for anything else.

Same here. Also, I find I get better service in return by being courteous and polite when travelling.

GrahamS

It’s all in the presentation

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxNrizGdhtY[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why would you not listen? Got something more important to do?

I was asleep on the last one, not really my fault, I would probably have woken up if we had crashed but I’m not 100% on that one.
    When you last heard the briefing 2 hrs previously I know you should but I could be into another podcast by then

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Whenever I hear the safety briefing I always think of Fight Club and the more realistic “safety” cards used in it.

I like the Not the 9 O’Clock News one.

“When disaster strikes, there may a slight loss of cabin pressure, and a reduction in the number of wings”

“Next, remove any sharp objects from your person – like red hot fragments of engine casing – and make your way to the exits”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSrNF6bCB5Q#t=14m00s

mogrim

Why would you not listen? Got something more important to do? It only takes a minute, you might pick up something useful, it pushes the info to the front of your mind and it’s polite.

Why not listen? You’re reading your book, trying to fall asleep, keeping your kids quiet, loads of reasons really. Although I should say that I do usually listen despite knowing it pretty much off by heart already. It’s a fair point about it being polite, though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c06tQQ8S3Ew[/video]

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Same here. Also, I find I get better service in return by being courteous and polite when travelling.

think of the extra fuel wasted trying to achieve an altitude that safely clears your moral high ground without scaring the high horse your sitting on, though.

geetee1972
    Free Member

LOL, the briefing doesn’t even tell you where the exits are.

Were you being ironic or a ****?

I hate the place, but have to go there a few times a year for work. Leave your judgement land side, thanks!

Point taken. Apols.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

LOL, the briefing doesn’t even tell you where the exits are.

Were you being ironic or a ****?

[/quote]
    How many have you gone through in the last 3 months?

Exits are blah, make sure you know, lights will guide you, signs tell you. Though waving hands a bit don’t really help, but as usual they are front. back on wings and easy to find

geetee1972
    Free Member

Enough to know that they make a point of telling you where they are located and then pointing them out.

Personally I make a point of first noting which is really the closest and then second, counting the number of seats infront/behind I need to go before I get there.

peterfile
    Free Member

I can’t remember the last time I didn’t have an exit row seat in economy (as a cheap way of getting a bit more space), but this has further validated my decision 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

8 flights (5 long haul) in the last 3 months. Number of different planes, sitting in different locations means exits were different (last long haul nearest exit was in another class behind curtain). Life-jackets were fastened in different ways (or non-existent for US planes). Illuminated low level lighting was different in them too, also how to open the overwing doors.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘That BA/Vegas Aircraft Fire…’ is closed to new replies.