Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • That Bloody Orange 4!
  • Kryton57

Everytime I see it, I can’t help thinking its the perfect SE UK bike. Solid, dependable, the right travel and geo for messing about in Wales, Swinley, Peaslake and Epping to name but a few.

I find it very irritating in that respect. Also I’m interested – its “heavy” right? That RS in FGF has to be about 32lbs at least.

Anyway, looks great – but I need to go an polish my Anthem.

Yak

I picked one up – surprisingly light. Using the official pick up and go ‘oooh’ scale, I’d say it was 27lb. Had nice kit on it mind.

momo

Missing a bottle mount, otherwise I think you could be right.

joat

polish my Anthem.

😯

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I rode one.

It was like a crap 5.

It also seemed to be designed for midgets.

cokie

Bottle mounts are key to a trail bike like that..
    I’d look elsewhere on those grounds alone, mainly Whyte T129/T130.

orena45

I’d say geometry, build kit, reliability etc are key to a trail bike like that. Bottle mounts are a nice addition. Had a Five now got a Rallon, both without bottle mounts. It’s a slight inconvenience but there are more important factors to a good bike..

spectabilis
    Free Member

Weight wasn’t really considered when I built mine but I’ve just put it on the scales and it’s 29Lbs.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Hzk17E]DSC03591[/url]

Great UK trail bike no doubt but i am tempted to chop it in for a Stage5

munrobiker
    Free Member

Bottle mounts are only marginally more important than pannier rack mounts I’d say.

scuttler

^^^ Fit ^^^

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

cokie – Member

What on earth do you put on/in them that doesn’t go in a pack?

I only use mine on my road bike or short “xc” blasts where I’m happy to walk home, definitely not for actual trail riding.

lucky7500

Had a Five now got a Rallon, both without bottle mounts. It’s a slight inconvenience but there are more important factors to a good bike..

How have you found the Rallon? I’m considering one as a change from my Spitfire.

zippykona

I wouldn’t buy a bike that didn’t have bottle mounts either.

chakaping
    Free Member

Segment or Stage 5 would be much more appealing to me.

pnik

I tested a large four, but i seems large isnt large anymore should’ve gone for an xl, previously i’ve had large fives. Anyway i got an XL segment and love it, facotry spec, not crazy light but a lot lighter than my 2012 five. SE riding predom.

Beagleboy

I bought my first Orange, an Evo O2 Ltd, in 2000, after ten years or so of riding a series of Trek, Kona and Giant fully rigid bikes. Since then, I’ve owned a Patriot, two Fives, a Gringo and two P7s . The 2016 Four that I currently ride in XL/ 20inch size fits my 6 foot frame perfectly, gets a very appreciative “ooooh” from everyone who picks it up, and is far and away the most fun bike I’ve ever had the pleasure to own or ride.

C.

cokie

Oh, you could fit spare tyres, mechs, handlebars and almost a whole bike in a pack.. if you wear one. I don’t. All my stuff goes on the bike; bottle cage and seatpack, etc. It’s a trail bike, why do you need a pack for that? It doesn’t tend to be an epic wilderness adventure, but rather a few hours singletrack in british countryside. All I need is a 500-1 liter bottle & a few spares (possibly a layer too)- not a 25 liter bag.

So for me, it’s essential. Many would agree, hence their existence. Even on the ‘enduro’ Airdrop Edit people were outraged* at the lack of mounts on the press release images.

Yes, I can’t that geometry and component choice are arguably higher up the pecking order of being essential. I never said they weren’t.

Anyway, that’s just my opinion. Wouldn’t it be boring if we were all the same..

*slight keyboard warriorism

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

All I need is a 500-1 liter bottle & a few spares (possibly a layer too)- not a 25 liter bag.

But what about cake and pies? You can’t fit them in a saddle bag without damage surely?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Bottle mounts can **** do one.

roverpig

Drifting a bit off topic here, but do bottle mount users not find their bottles being shaken out of the cage on rough bits ? They always seemed like a daft idea off-road, but I’ve never actually tried to use one. Maybe I should.

zippykona

My most common ride is a 10 mile commute . I really don’t want to be lugging a camelback around just for that.
    A bottle is so convenient and I just chuck it in the dishwasher.
    I’ve been riding since 1987 and never lost a bottle.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

do bottle mount users not find their bottles being shaken out of the cage on rough bits ?

Yes. I’ve ridden with bottle mount users and had to retrace our route to retrieve escaped bottles and it used to happen to me in the old days. Other people may not have this problem.

orangespyderman

I’ve been riding since 1987 and never lost a bottle.

I’ve ridden with bottle mount users and had to retrace our route to retrieve escaped bottles

There are good bottles and good mounts and bottles that go well with certain mounts and those that don’t. A good bottle in a mount that it fits well will pretty much never jump ship involuntarily. Get it wrong and it’ll leap sideways after only a few hundred metres on the rough stuff, in my experience.

Kamakazie

Bottle & Fabric tool keg have so far been perfectly secure. That may not be the case on a hardtail though… rear suspension definitely helps keep things in place.

On topic: I like the Four but would also venture towards a Stage 5. Just wish it had the split swingarm design like the Four. Looks much better.

Northwind

Even if you never a bottle, a bottle cage is a great place to put lights, it’s still handy. I’ve never had a cage on my main bike but I’m still glad it can.

Thing with the is the same as the Gyro, it’s not really got much advantage over the Five, and it’s got some disadvantage. When they first launched it, the frame was a fair bit lighter than the five, but only because they had some design changes which they launched on it first. The Five has made the same changes now so it weighs almost the same.

This is just personal preference but IMO Oranges always get better the bigger they are- it just suits the design.

molgrips
    Free Member

I fitted bottle mounts to both my 5 to hold my big light battery for 24 hour races. It went on the top of the top tube close to the seat.

thorpie
    Free Member

Gorilla clip and Monkii V cage would sort out the no bottle mount problem. I have a Four, impressed so far. Trevor.

Kryton57

Good point and if I wasn’t racing longer XC races with the Anthem, I’d have a Segment too. I looked longingly at the Large red one that has any their offers page for a while.

breninbeener

Whats the real difference between the Orange 4 and a Segment or slackened Gyro?

Northwind

1 and a half inches

gelert
    Free Member

When it launched a standard spec full alloy Orange Four RS weighed 12.5kg without pedals. I weighed one with the shop selling it. You could easily get it lower. I only got to sit on it but the Large felt as slack as my Alpine… it isn’t (67 v 65) and can’t be but it did feel lovely because it was long too. I’ll have to ride one…tomorrow 🙂

The review of the 2017 Five – Factory on STW says it weighed 13.1kg (didn’t say if that was pedals or not).

Orange + others Demo day tomorrow for me up at Llandegla.

My 2013 Five weighs 12.2 kg no pedals but a few carbon parts. My 2014 Alpine weighs 13.3kg with alloy wheels. They’re 26 inch.

I hope they have the new 29ers on the Demo but I’m also interested to try the new longer Four, Five, and Alpine 6 too.

Orange frames don’t weigh a lot – the build on them can tot up though. They’re fine and very reliable and a lot of fun.

I’ll be trying some Santa Cruz bikes out too if I can and back to back them with the Oranges. Can’t wait.

Rik
    Free Member

and is far and away the most fun bike I’ve ever had the pleasure to own or ride.

^^^^^^^^
    This

monkeyboyjc

Only thing putting me off any Orange full sus would be the lack of a bottle mount…. That and the lack of funds.

A year of packless riding had converted me (especially in the summer)- all kit for my usual 3HR rides go on the bike. In the winter this means one Bottle and a tool roll, in the summer 2 bottles, a tool roll and lightweight jacket.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Best mate bought an ex demo from Stainland after a cheeky demo, sold his Five straight after, the four is a lot lighter so much so it’s now classed as a cheat bike. it ride so much bigger than its numbers but comes up small frame wise. The large is much to small for me at 6 foot. I think as a UK trail bike it’s fantastic and I’d take one down anything in the UK that my Alpinefive would touch. Great bike

But!!!!

The stage five……… Steamroller

tonyg2003

I’m very happy with my Four. I changed the wheels for some lighter Mavic items when I bought it (I think that the standard Orange wheels spec is poor). I’ve not weighed it but it rides really well and is great for the north downs trails.

IdleJon

zippykona – Member
    My most common ride is a 10 mile commute . I really don’t want to be lugging a camelback around just for that.

Why would you be riding a full-sus MTB for a 10 mile commute?

And, thinking about it, why would you need a bottle for a 10 mile ride?

tenfoot

I have a four on order. They must be pretty popular as I’ve been waiting 5 weeks so far. 😕
    The lack of bottle mounts did put me off, but I’ve been riding a zesty for the last 6 years, so I’m used to it.

Just under 6ft, I tried a large, and thought it was perfect. The talk above of XL for 6 footers is making me nervous

prawny

I’ve come to the conclusion that bottle cages aren’t that important unless you’re racing (at least for me) my last bike didn’t have bottle cage mounts so just stopped taking a drink on shorter rides, new bike has bottle mounts bit seems a bit unnecessary now.

That’s said, I’m liking the look of some of these new bottle cage/toolkit/tube jobs, quite fancy getting shot of any baggage.

orena45

lucky7500 – Member
    Had a Five now got a Rallon, both without bottle mounts. It’s a slight inconvenience but there are more important factors to a good bike..

How have you found the Rallon? I’m considering one as a change from my Spitfire

Thoughts and opinions on my blog 🙂 :

Initial review

8 month update

One year on review

Anyway, back on topic…Love my Rallon but still have a thing for Orange bikes and would have a Four in a heartbeat if I could as a second bike/local trail smasher!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Depends on ride tbh. A local nightride along the river valley in winter? No bottle required.

A local summer evening up the local hills? bottle defo needed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘That Bloody Orange 4!’ is closed to new replies.