Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • That bloody cancer thing
  • crewlie

It’s hard being the partner of somebody going through this. Make sure you look after yourself, you need to stay strong and to be there when she needs you.
    Try to keep positive no matter how difficult things are, like others on here have found, it can be got through and beaten (for me, 10 years and counting), but you might have to get used to doing the housework for a while 🙂
    Carry on talking and writing, it really does help!

john_drummer
    Free Member

All the best. Lost my brother in law two years ago to pancreatic cancer, my stepdad in May to pancreatic cancer that had metastasized to his lungs, and father in law May last year to bowel cancer. Mrs_d is two years post breast cancer and hopefully clear of it. I think it’s hardest when it’s your partner , trying to balance the hospital trips for treatment against the need to stay strong and keep earning

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Good luck .

jamj1974

Mark, it’s shit that can’t be denied. Thinking of you and yours and I’m sure your other half will **** it right in the nuts!

jamj1974

Can’t believe **** is blocked!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

A little under 4 years ago I was where where you are now and you will cope even though it probably seems impossible right now. Things that start off feeling like they are unbearable just become commonplace, just more stuff you need to do that day. Our bodies may be weak but our minds and our resilience is incredible, just keep taking care of one thing at a time.

You’ll draw strength from one another. Get organised, treat it like the campaign that it is, but also try and remember to continue living your life together as well. It’s been said already but seriously make sure not to neglect yourself. Your partner will understandably be your priority but you can’t look after her if you’re not close to the top of your game.

If you want to vent or talk about anything then don’t think twice about posting on here or if you want to talk off forum to someone you don’t know (sometimes thats easier) then my email is in my profile and I’m sure I wouldn’t be the only person open to that sort of exchange.

It will be a shit time but you will manage.

project
    Free Member

Best healing wishes to you both

surfer
    Free Member

Rant away fella… Best wishes and healing vibes coming your way

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tough times. Good advice above it is a battle and it can of course go two ways. Enjoy life together as much as you can considering the treatment. Healing vibes and best wishes for a positive outcome. Strangely my Mrs asked me this morning when I’d last had a prostate check

teasel
    Free Member

Read this yesterday morning and been thinking about both of you since.

I hope the treatment’s successful.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Damn! to think I came on here today to complain about a wobbly tooth. Cancer is a *******

Good luck fella and remember there are two of you that will need taking care of.

mark d
    Free Member

Overwelmed by the support and very kind messages.
    Read all of the posts just now.
    Positive vibes.

frankconway

Hi Mark, first up – be strong and stay strong; you partner will be cared for by the great NHS but you’re not their concern. If you’re not strong you can’t ‘do your bit’ – whatever that means.

Understanding and treatment of cancer is fantastically advanced to what it was – and it’s improving every day.

Within your personal network you will get loads of support and then you get the STW stuff; be strong, look/talk/sound positive, make plans for active stuff a few months away – and share with your partner as joint objectives; always look onwards and upwards.

My dad died, more than 24 years ago, from carcinomatosis at nearly 70; it’s treatable and preventable now.

Use every means of support you can and don’t be shy about doing it – work, personal, this forum, DM me if you think that might help; you might be surprised at how much shit STW member have been through and how their experiences could help support you.

I don’t pray much these days but you and your partner will be included next time.

All the best x

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘That bloody cancer thing’ is closed to new replies.