Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • That Barclays digital eagles scam ad
  • fifeandy
    Free Member

The cranks on this in the RN ad are what’s bothering most at the moment.

Yup, everytime it’s on. To be hoped they don’t let him fix a naval gun. It’ll be pointing at the deck rather than the target.[/quote]A bit like what happened with the most recent trident test firing? Maybe they let him loose on the missile guidance system 😆

Edit: And what sort of nutter walks about with an image of a talking horse and a battery with a staple in it in their head?! If there’s really people like that in the world I feel a lot less safe walking around the streets.

andylitespeed
    Free Member

Whoever produced that Skeletor dance routine has definitely seen the techno viking video.

cheese@4p

Heman Resources?
    Brilliant, bloody brilliant well played indeed!

Northwind

wwaswas – Member

The cranks on this in the RN ad are what’s bothering most at the moment.

I bought my BMX from a kid who was selling up because he’d joined the REME. Hopped on, rode down the street, straight into my car because neither brake worked, at which point the bars rotated round the stem. There wasn’t a tight bolt or a round bearing in the whole damn thing. I keep expecting to read a news story about a collapsed bailey bridge or something with his glaikit mug beaming out of it.

wwaswas

And what sort of nutter walks about with an image of a talking horse and a battery with a staple in it in their head?!

I’ve been struggling to think of anything else for the past 20 minutes…

aracer
    Free Member

The sort of nutter who doesn’t get their online accounts hacked (if we ignore the flaw jimw points out – in reality it’s nutters with an image of a talking candle and a flower with a sheep in it who don’t get hacked).

What really bugs me about online passwords are those sites which insist on certain features in your password. I’m guessing that at least 99% of passwords on sites which require a capital letter simply have the first letter capitalised.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Dictionary attack isn’t exactly difficult.

I’m against the systems that prevent you using your last 10 variations. Kinda obvious how that one is going to play out.

aracer
    Free Member

What’s that a reply to?

I’m against the systems that prevent you using your last 10 variations. Kinda obvious how that one is going to play out.

in combination with mandated numerics?

simmy
    Free Member

Someone has tried scamming me today.

I received a Text that said it was from Barclays, you know how it comes up with the name before you open it, that part said Barclays,

It read ” did you make a payment of 1100.00 GBP – DateAGuy.com If no, please call immediately on 0843 289 8403 for a refund ”

Needless to say, I rang the number out of curiosity and it answered ” welcome to customer service ” so I put it down.

Barclays fraud said it quite common to receive texts like this. The fraudsters hope you will call them then they put you through various questions to get your details.

Northwind

squirrelking – Member

Something I use- maybe paypal?- tells you if you enter an old password. Being a normal person, some of my other password protected things still use the same password as I used to use on ebay. So if someone’s trying to guess my password it’s just said “ah hah, that’s a password this dude uses, just not for me!”. Seems odd

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Can’t be that crap….. someone is talking about it!

It must be crap – I can’t even remember which bank it was advertising.

That might be more about your memory than the advert?

squirrelking
    Free Member

squirrelking » Dictionary attack isn’t exactly difficult.
    What’s that a reply to?

in combination with mandated numerics?

Reply to the XKCD cartoon.

Usually, yes. Easy bit of social engineering to find out a few details and then use spouse/child names and then a few zeros and a number to bring you to a viable password.

Amazing what you can find out very quickly.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YRs28yBYuI[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7pYHN9iC9I[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

I’m still not sure which bit – but a dictionary attack on 4 conjoined words is still quite tricky – and that’s working from the starting point of knowing the password protocol being used. Security through obscurity is always a bit dodgy, but in this case it adds more entropy and I suspect XKCD password generation still isn’t common enough to be a useful attack vector.

Easy bit of social engineering to find out a few details and then use spouse/child names and then a few zeros and a number to bring you to a viable password.

Of course – and mandated numerals etc. does help get rid of some of the most obvious passwords. However the human factor is almost always the weakest link – mandating random computer generated passwords is one way of guaranteeing that the password is written down (I had this in a previous job, and could always tell when I was due a password change when I no longer needed to refer to the post-it).

squirrelking
    Free Member

Thing is though, for home use I reckon written down passwords would actually be much safer. You can have individual passwords for each site, complete nonsense that is easily referred to and can simply be left in an anonymous notepad in a drawer or safe if you feel so inclined. If you want to be a bit more secure, encrypt a couple of thumb drives with your password list on and crack on. Leave an unencrypted copy off site so if you need it you can get at it but nobody can connect them with you.

Corporate environments have no excuse, why not just use a swipe card/site pass and PIN to authenticate?

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘That Barclays digital eagles scam ad’ is closed to new replies.