Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • That Barclays digital eagles scam ad
  • Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

After she tricks someone into disclosing their pin over the phone, why do all of her colleagues get up and abandon their workstations when she gets up to leave?

They can’t all be running off to ATM machines and they could order lots of pointless cr@p from the comfort of their own desks.

One operator tricks an old dear into revealing their pin and everyone clocks off, interesting business model? Quaalude break?

I suppose it is meant to look dramatic but it just looks silly to me.

Her serious face changing to a smug face grates, too.

Clearly, I dont get it and I need to get out more. 😆

simondbarnes

I hadn’t noticed. That lady is pure evil though.

parkesie
    Free Member

And don’t get me started on that singing prick wing walking.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neilwheel
    Free Member

It’s not real, it’s just a crap advert.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Can’t be that crap….. someone is talking about it!

stumpyjon

Clearly you don’t get, it supposed to be a bank call centre which then melts away as the scam is revealed showing that you may thought you were dealing with something concrete and secure when you’re not, or at least that’s what read it as.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vo6YG9U_o8[/video]

philxx1975
    Free Member

Maybe it was lunchtime.

Must have been a low budget ad anyway, if there had been more money in the pot they would have used a bloke.

According to some anyway.

richmars

Isn’t it to show that the image of what, at the start of the advert, looks like a friendly call centre, is actually nothing of the sort, ie, it’s a con.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Clearly you don’t get, it supposed to be a bank call centre which then melts away as the scam is revealed showing that you may thought you were dealing with something concrete and secure when you’re not, or at least that’s what read it as.

Ah, I can see the logic in that. 🙂 Still annoying, though.

No quaalude break then? Sad face…

edlong
    Free Member

I was thinking the same, it’s not very well done imho.

That other one where the guy builds enough knowledge to apply for credit cards from social media posts is loads better.

..and the woman in the call centre one looks enough like Philomena Cunk that I keep expecting her to say something hilarious.

Could do better.

finephilly
    Free Member

There’s a more scary video on you tube of a dutch guy who scams his way to a new lotus exage via dodgy Ukrainian call centres and zombie bank accounts.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Barclays Bank warning of fraud, so much executive ironing.

BadlyWiredDog

I don’t think Skeletor is in any way implicated in all this. Seems very unfair to drag him into it. If anything I admire his joie de vivre and dance skillz. Just saying.

CountZero

I got exactly what they were on about, but in my experience all the dodgy ones have someone with an English name with a very iffy command of English purporting to be from either Microsoft or BT’s technical help desk, trying to get me to put my personal data into a highly insecure website.
    Not had a call asking for my PIN yet.

Barclays BankSantender/HSBC/ warning of fraud, so much executive ironing.

aracer
    Free Member

I have had a call asking for my bank security details “so we can verify your identity”.

From my bank – or at least I’m fairly sure it was, the conversation didn’t go much further.

JAG

I have had a call asking for my bank security details “so we can verify your identity”.

Me too – I told ’em to “**** off” 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

Skeletor and He-Man – are they real bodybuilders or just some kind of foam latex suit? And how did they find someone who looks so much like He Man?

perchypanther
    Free Member

And how did they find someone who looks so much like He Man?

Heman Resources?

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t be that crap….. someone is talking about it!

It must be crap – I can’t even remember which bank it was advertising.

Heman Resources?

Superb 😀

hatter

I know that on here we’re all little clever clogs who would NEVER fall for such a thing and can roll our eyes at such warnings but if that Barclays ad stops one old dear from being diddled out of her life savings then I’m all for it.

Oh and +1 for ‘Heman resources’ well played sir.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I know that on here we’re all little clever clogs who would NEVER fall for such a thing and can roll our eyes at such warnings but if that Barclays ad stops one old dear from being diddled out of her life savings then I’m all for it.

Yeah, but would that ‘old dear’ understand what the ad is (apparently) trying to say?

wwaswas

The cranks on this in the RN ad are what’s bothering most at the moment.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The cranks on this in the RN ad are what’s bothering most at the moment

Not just the cranks……. it’s the logic.

I took my Type 23 frigate to Halfords and asked them to do an oil change.
    They just looked at me like I was mad.

wilburt
    Free Member

I find her strangely attractive but they I never have been very good at choosing partners.

Theres another one about people getting bits of info about you from various social media platforms and piecing it all together.

Thats more likely IME but Barclays are looking after Barclays in this ad.

Stoner
    Free Member

First time I saw her I was positively terrified. And not because she’s ginger either. Something very dark in the speed of change of facial expression.

AlexSimon

It’s a weird ad – just makes me think scammers work in Barclays call centres!

trailwagger
    Free Member

What could they do with a pin number anyway? Wouldnt they need to have physical possession of your card as well?

jimdubleyou

What could they do with a pin number anyway? Wouldnt they need to have physical possession of your card as well?

tommyhine

It’s just an example of what people could potentially get scammed on and as mentioned earlier if it gets some less aware people to be more careful then all for the better.

The whole barclays thing is a bit to promote barclays but they are actually promoting safer digital engagement in general.

bikebouy
    Free Member

stumpyjon – Member

That’s exactly what the advert was designed to show.

There are a couple more on thier way..

garage-dweller

It’s ok he’s currently servicing someone’s Merlin or Lynx so won’t make any more offensive bike related errors….

trailwagger
    Free Member

Not mine they couldnt (hsbc), be surprised if other banks use a four digit pin to access online accounts.

HSBC use a unique IB number that has 10 digits, then a memorable phrase and then a code generated by a key fob.

alibongo001

My wife used to work for Abbey National and amusingly their head of security was scammed into giving his details to someone on the phone!

🙂

jimdubleyou

Not mine they couldnt (hsbc), be surprised if other banks use a four digit pin to access online accounts.

HSBC use a unique IB number that has 10 digits, then a memorable phrase and then a code generated by a key fob.

HSBC is one of the good ones.

Natwest is a customer number, 4 digit pin and a word (selection from each of the last two).

allan23
    Free Member

Yup, everytime it’s on. To be hoped they don’t let him fix a naval gun. It’ll be pointing at the deck rather than the target.

CountZero

perchypanther – Member
    And how did they find someone who looks so much like He Man?
    Heman Resources?

Oh, well played that man! Clean over the boundary!

Lloyds and Halifax both require a random sequence of three characters from the security word you have sert up; mine’s got eleven characters in it, and it’s bordering on a random selection of characters as well, so pretty secure I’d have thought.

First time I saw her I was positively terrified. And not because she’s ginger either. Something very dark in the speed of change of facial expression.

Nowt wrong with redheads! But I do agree with the expression, very creepy, and very effective.
    I’d be on my toes heading for the hills if my SO suddenly did that!

aracer
    Free Member

Since this is a Barclays ad, then in their case having the PIN is useful for logging onto online banking. Just as useful as it is for stealing money out of a cash machine. In both cases you need to also be in possession of the physical card.

aracer
    Free Member

That depends how you think it’s likely to be hacked.

(in case any IT security experts get picky, there are potential flaws with the XKCD scheme, but the assumption that random characters makes a password secure is flawed – and it’s certainly vulnerable to an attack of the style in that ad)

jimdubleyou

there are potential flaws with the XKCD scheme,

Like BatteryStapleCorrectHorse being a very popular password now 😛

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘That Barclays digital eagles scam ad’ is closed to new replies.